Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Doesn't open her eyes
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:34 pm
Jaundice many times shows up after discharge. All babies should be seen within 2 days after leaving the hospital. Please make an appointment and your doctor can refer you to a blood test if deemed necessary.

I'm glad feeding is going better. Make sure she's sucking actively and isn't too sleepy to do so. If need be, pump and force feed her because the more calories she gets in, the more energy she'll have to nurse better.

This will help with jaundice if she has and even if not, it will help keep her from being overly lethargic.

Hatzlacha!

lovepinterest

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:39 pm
TYH17 wrote:
Keep nursing non stop. The more you nurse the more the baby poops out the yellow. The yellow poop shows the jaundice is leaving the body. Keep nursing as much as you possibly can. These days are crucial to do that, just nurse and you will see difference. Can still take her to Dr if nervous but nurse a lot in meanwhile. That's only thing that helped me, was advice I got from an Indian Dr in nicu

THIS! My mohel told me this too. Nurse tons. The baby poops tons. Jaundice leaves body. And it worked. Bh baby had bris on time!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:53 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Speaking as an experienced mother of yellow babies, I'm RH negative so all my babies are yellow even if blood type is the same: give your baby 2 oz of warm water plus 1 Tablespoon brown sugar 3-4 times a day after a feeding for a few days. It'll make your baby have lots of dirty and wet diapers causing to flush out all the jaundice. It works well. It's only for a few days so don't worry.
ETA: this is not in place of seeing a Dr. Personally I don't go to a Dr I have a real experienced mohel come look at my babies even at the girls. So far this has worked for me. I've had babies put on the light. Both boys and girls but not always.

Please don't do this without checking with a doctor first. It's not always safe to give sugar to babies.
Go to your ped, not the hospital, they can do the forehead scan for jaundice and decide if you need blood work.

clowny

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:00 pm
Mother of 7 jaundiced baby’s here.
In most cases jaundice appears after discharge. So the fact that the baby was discharged does not mean anything. Jaundice baby’s are extremely sleepy. Op, I think you should take the baby to the pediatrician and he/she can take a bilirubin to check the numbers. A good and experienced pediatrician should be able to tell you just by looking at the baby if it’s dangerously high or not, and if you have time to wait for the results ( which I don’t recall how long that takes)
In the meantime, see if you can get hold of a light for the night. And in the morning keep the baby undressed under the sun.
Mazel Tov and good luck.

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Please don't do this without checking with a doctor first. It's not always safe to give sugar to babies.
Go to your ped, not the hospital, they can do the forehead scan for jaundice and decide if you need blood work.

Sugar for babies for a few days is nothing wrong. The nurse in my pediatricians office gave me this idea. Furthermore, I had a very yellow baby in aim byisroel. Shifra (for those who know her) was yelliing at me that I'm crazy for giving the baby sugar water. In front of her on speaker I called my Dr to ask if I can. Dr told me for a few days till the bris nothing will happen.
My Dr doesn't believe in the forehead scan. He claims it's very not accurate.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:03 pm
You should be seeing the pediatrician at some point this week for a check up anyway OP. I hope all is well.

erm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:28 pm
Is the room very bright. I found that my newborns kept their eyes open longer when the room was dimly lit.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:35 pm
Undress your baby down to her diaper, and take her outside in light shade. She doesn't need to be under direct sun, but indirect sun is exactly what she needs.

Nurse her in her diaper, near a brightly lit window. The more sun she gets, the better.

Just remember that direct sun is way too strong for her delicate skin.

Please get her checked out as soon as you can.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics