Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Winter coats that cost several hundred dollars
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:18 pm
crust wrote:
The OP says she's in BP.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense but isn't the reason the OP started this thread.
Perhaps start a spinoff?

Again, reading comprehension. I don’t live in boro park and the above is a reason I started this thread.

gilamom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:53 pm
It's funny, I saw the Moncler knockoff on Ali and wanted to buy it for DD but DH said no way. He said, can you imagine how much our tuition will go up if the school thinks you bought her a Moncler coat?!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:05 pm
Yes, it would look silly to walk around in a 1,000 coat when you can’t pay full tuition.
I don’t get why people would buy it for their kids when everyone knows they’re knock offs.
Kids would rather a SAM that you get on sale, s13 or if you want to splurge Canada goose

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:24 pm
My kids are wearing Gap coats I got on a season’s end sale last year. Are they the only ones?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:27 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
My kids are wearing Gap coats I got on a season’s end sale last year. Are they the only ones?

No of course not.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Agreed. Media and entertainment is a very big aspect of secular life across the whole economic spectrum. I do think that the media and entertainment industry fills a void in people's lives that frum people or other communities that don't welcome it (Amish etc) fill in other ways. I don't know if peer pressure is what does it but there's definitely something there.

It’s an interesting theory and could be true re: clothes fixation in frum communities.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:42 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Im not denying there’s no pressure here. There definitely is. It’s not every crowd but it is a lot of people. But there’s pressure to look a certain way and pressure to spend a certain amount. Most people I know have pressure to look a certain way and Zara hm and ASOS are where they turn to. Yes, there is a level obsession with shopping that’s a bit overboard but the pressure is NOT to spend a certain amount. Like $1,000 coat and $300 belts. Everyone I know wears fake Gucci belts.

Thank you SuperWify for saying it like it is! I don't know why everyone says "the whole Lakewood" is doing something. Seriously? There are almost a hundred neighborhoods in Lakewood. And they are very different.

Lots of people here have money, b'h. And many don't. People do what works for them.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:43 pm
SuperWify wrote:
So again, it boils down to a gashmius problem.

Which again, is a problem but evidently not yours.

It really bothers me when people write off whole communities like “the more yeshivish you are in Lakewood the more expensive your belt is”. It’s LH and in many cases untrue.

But for some reason bashing Lakewood is a holy thing to do in this site Scratching Head Banging head

Yes! Bash Lakewood! Everyone, go ahead, bash Lakewood! Absolutely the worst! (OP says she lives in Brooklyn, but why not take advantage of a good idea....).

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I live near lkwd too, and I have to agree with SuperWify. The pressure is to look a certain way, not to spend a certain amount. If anything, there's a certain level of pride to have landed that metziah.

But this is definitely not true for all or even most of lkwd. Someone upthread mentioned that the more yeshivish you are, the more designer you need to dress. Um, have you ever spent time in old, central lkwd? In the more yeshivish developments like Prospect Vines and Ocean Point? I have. And I can assure you, many (most?) of these people have never heard of Moncler. Many do not have internet access and cannot even buy a knockoff on Ali's if they wanted to. Nor do they care to.

Yes, there is a certain level of obsession with clothing and shopping in some insular communities, but IMO, it's only natural. Think about it. What are most secular teens into? What do they talk about all day? What do they obsess over? Guys, celebs, their favorite shows, and SM influencers.

What can frum teens (and adults) obsess over? Clothing. Is it any wonder some people go a bit overboard?

Yes, this post is spot on.

And I can add a few more neighborhoods.... those who live here know which neighborhoods I mean.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

Nope childrens place end of season sale. Teen daughter is wearing lands end we got last year on sale.

crust

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Again, reading comprehension. I don’t live in boro park and the above is a reason I started this thread.

I already corrected my mistake about Boro Park in a different post.

The qoute below is your OP.
I do not see anything about Torah in your post.

Quote:
I’m really scratching my head trying to understand this phenomenon of high schoolers getting Moncler or other coats that cost 400$ and upwards. Why are you buying these for your kids???!!!! What are you teaching them? Bh I can afford it but would never buy one for a teen. When will this craziness stop? How did we get here? Are you part of the problem?
Posting anonymously because I’ve just discussed this IRL

I am very hurt that I have a reading comprehension problem but honestly, I don't think there's anything I can do about it.

It's the way Hashem made me.

If you have an issue with this brand coat because you're in an environment that prioritizes Torah learning then I hope there is ever a discussion about Lishmor V'lasos I'lkayam in that environment as well.

I'm the second person on this thread that you're calling out for reading comprehension.

Telling people that they have a reading comprehension problem is bad middos and is not practicing the Torah that you learn all day.

I'd rather have all my generations wear that brand name coat and not tell people that they have a reading comprehension problem than the other way around.

Values my freind.
Values.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:52 pm
The moncler matched real nice to her ferregamo shoes. She's a kallah mod after all.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:03 am
SuperWify wrote:
Sadly Sad

But if we bash anymore more left then us...... woe is to me!

Thank you SuperWify for your mature and accepting of everyone (even yeshivish people) comments! It gets to the point where I use anonymous in any comment that references Lakewood...

mamma llama

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:10 am
gilamom wrote:
It's funny, I saw the Moncler knockoff on Ali and wanted to buy it for DD but DH said no way. He said, can you imagine how much our tuition will go up if the school thinks you bought her a Moncler coat?!

Ha, this reminds me of Gershon Veroba's song, Honesty... Laugh

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:28 am
Crookshanks wrote:
Thank you SuperWify for your mature and accepting of everyone (even yeshivish people) comments! It gets to the point where I use anonymous in any comment that references Lakewood...

Thanks crookshanks and mommyg8.

I grew up in Lakewood and the people I knew all wore hand me downs and children’s place. Yes, as we got older there was a pressure to dress a certain way but never to spend money. It’s about looking put together in the cheapest way possible.

Yes, new people moved to Lakewood with different standards and spend on brand names... gezuntaheit.

If you ever walked down 6th or 7th street near yeshiva go take a walk and let me know how many montcler coats you see. The people that live there are the simplest I know.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:43 am
SuperWify I used to come to Lakewood periodically for shabbos when I was single and the Lakewood you describe is the Lakewood I knew. I’m only aware of the changing demographic and expanding neighborhoods from imamother. But like you say gezuntaheit.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:10 am
Exactly! Not that I love standards rising too, but I definitely don't like Lakewood bashing.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:34 am
SuperWify wrote:
Thanks crookshanks and mommyg8.

I grew up in Lakewood and the people I knew all wore hand me downs and children’s place. Yes, as we got older there was a pressure to dress a certain way but never to spend money. It’s about looking put together in the cheapest way possible.

Yes, new people moved to Lakewood with different standards and spend on brand names... gezuntaheit.

If you ever walked down 6th or 7th street near yeshiva go take a walk and let me know how many montcler coats you see. The people that live there are the simplest I know.

The Lakewood fancy standard is directly from Boro Park and Monsey. It has very little to do with the yeshivaleit who get their kids’ clothes from an outlet or gemach or second hand.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:39 am
I don't see anything wrong with anyone who can afford it spending money on a good coat. Especially an adult. Last time I bought a coat I bought it from a higher end shop then I usually buy my clothing. I would like it to last a few years and be really warm. It's not any of the brands mentioned (can't remember what brand) but its a puffer style coat with real down and its super warm and I like the style. I think it was about €200 but really can't remember.

It does jar me to hear of peer pressure about expensive clothes. Not something I have experienced in the schools my girls (or boys) attended, bh!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The Lakewood fancy standard is directly from Boro Park and Monsey. It has very little to do with the yeshivaleit who get their kids’ clothes from an outlet or gemach or second hand.

Right but I’m not one to point fingers. I know lots of simple people in Flatbush and Boro park as well.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics