Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Not Yeshivish Boys School

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:38 pm
My husband wears t shirts/black pants/black jeans (He can't wear button down for his job anyway.) I dress very tznius / lakewoody. We have internet.

My son is currently in linden, I am really not sure where he will be developmentally next September, but he may need some extra TLC.

What school would be right?

I want to apply to Ohr hachinuch, but I am afraid that they may to high pressure academically? Does anybody know about them?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:40 pm
High school?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:44 pm
Honestly I’d call the school and speak to them about it. I know the people who run it and they’re wonderful straightforward people. No games.

YTT might be another option, but they’re not known for being great with kids who need that extra support. Otherwise it’s an amazing school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
High school?

Primary

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:26 am
Kol Torah

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:09 am
Tashbar, koi Torah , ytt are not yeshivish but not sure about support

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:32 pm
Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have more info about the above schools?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:38 pm
Kol Torah basically takes anyone. It’s a small school. It’s run by one person so if you’re expecting to work with a whole administration, it’s not for you. There’s one class per grade even though the school has been around for about 15 years. The teachers are good. Students come from all different types of homes. I don’t have anyone there now so it’s best if you speak to someone who currently sends. From the way you described your family you would definitely fit in. There are benefits to sending to a more established school though.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:21 pm
Ohr hachinuch

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 14 2022, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:28 pm
rifkhertzka123 wrote:
Take a look at ohr hachinuch. I’m not sure about extra resources, but the hanhala is very dedicated to every student…In NJ in general it is much harder and more expensive to get access to outside help. That might be the only positive about living in nyc these days

Welcome. It seems you're new
You may not realize that many of these threads that you're reviving are old. They were applying to primary 2,3, 4 years ago.

emi1812

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 5:37 pm
rifkhertzka123 wrote:
Take a look at ohr hachinuch. I’m not sure about extra resources, but the hanhala is very dedicated to every student…In NJ in general it is much harder and more expensive to get access to outside help. That might be the only positive about living in nyc these days

I’m kind of in the same boat as OP in terms of the type of schools I’m looking into and having a kid who went to linden in the past.
Ohr hachinuch is VERY squeamish about taking kids from Linden etc. The director of Ohr Hachinuch has a really negative attitude about Linden, & insists that kids from Linden are behind & ill prepared to be part of a class of 25 kids+rebbe (since Linden has all this support staff that yeshivas do not have in a classroom). I know this because I spoke to her when considering the kindergarten for my son. My son is in stars, and I applied to Ohr Hachinuch for primary. By the interview, they kept repeating that they’re a small school and lack the resources the bigger ones do. And then the bigger schools say “Why don’t you try a smaller school, that would be a good fit for a child like yours!” 🙄 (Mind you, my kid doesn’t need any special classroom *supports*. He doesn’t have ADHD or autism or physical disabilities, doesn’t have any learning, social, or behavioral issues. He functions independently in a classroom, & plays+socializes nicely with his peers.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 8:14 pm
Hi guys, OP here.

In the end my son got into kol torah and ohr hachinuch. (a year ago) I chose ohr hachinuch. But Im holding him back, so hes starting primary ther IY'H next year.

It's true that they were telling me that they won't be able to offer as much as far as support. I spoke to the director there, my sons teachers at linden, and ziva krieger foundatation, and decided on keeping him in linden an extra year.

emi1812

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi guys, OP here.

In the end my son got into kol torah and ohr hachinuch. (a year ago) I chose ohr hachinuch. But Im holding him back, so hes starting primary ther IY'H next year.

It's true that they were telling me that they won't be able to offer as much as far as support. I spoke to the director there, my sons teachers at linden, and ziva krieger foundatation, and decided on keeping him in linden an extra year.

BH! Its also really good that you are not afraid to hold him back and that you are getting his needs met! I also chose to hold my son back, even though it could “look funny” given the time of year his birthday is. It’s no different than a school making him repeat primary (which would’ve happened if I had pushed him into primary instead of holding him back). Linden is an excellent program, and it is so good that you are getting him everything he needs during this critical developmental stage!

emi1812

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband wears t shirts/black pants/black jeans (He can't wear button down for his job anyway.) I dress very tznius / lakewoody. We have internet.

My son is currently in linden, I am really not sure where he will be developmentally next September, but he may need some extra TLC.

What school would be right?

I want to apply to Ohr hachinuch, but I am afraid that they may to high pressure academically? Does anybody know about them?

Another thing I forgot to mention: even if you cannot afford full tuition and won’t be able to pay it, whatever you do DO NOT check off the “partial tuition/scholarship” option! It is literally the kiss of death, the schools will put your application straight into the reject pile if you don’t choose “full tuition”.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:43 pm
emi1812 wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention: even if you cannot afford full tuition and won’t be able to pay it, whatever you do DO NOT check off the “partial tuition/scholarship” option! It is literally the kiss of death, the schools will put your application straight into the reject pile if you don’t choose “full tuition”.

This sounds like good advice. But I want to disagree. My son is in primary in another school and last year when applying we requested the scholarship and we got into 2 schools. This year we applied to 3 schools for my daughter for next year and we got into 2 schools BH. We requested the scholarship on the application bec how else can I afford to pay full tuition?

It could be in my case it’s diff bec my husband is in BMG and I know schools like to see that.

emi1812

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
This sounds like good advice. But I want to disagree. My son is in primary in another school and last year when applying we requested the scholarship and we got into 2 schools. This year we applied to 3 schools for my daughter for next year and we got into 2 schools BH. We requested the scholarship on the application bec how else can I afford to pay full tuition?

It could be in my case it’s diff bec my husband is in BMG and I know schools like to see that.

Key word: BMG (kollel). That was why it worked for you. Doesn’t work that way for families who aren’t in kollel.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:51 pm
emi1812 wrote:
Key word: BMG (kollel). That was why it worked for you. Doesn’t work that way for families who aren’t in kollel.

I hear that.

emi1812

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
I hear that.

If you’re in kollel in this town, you really cannot compare your situation at all to those who work. You have kollel privilege. I’ve been living in this town since before some of you were born, and kollel privilege has always been a thing in Lakewood. Your experience of getting into a few schools and being handed a tuition discount=epitome of kollel privilege, as it is only the norm for kollel families, not the non prominent/non-wealthy working ones.

Side story: A big girls school rejected my family when my parents applied. My father asked them why they’re turning down a full tuition paying family with several girls close in age. Their reasoning: “Sorry, you’re not in kollel!” Then a few months later, that school actually had the chutzpah to call my father to solicit a donation!! My father actually said, “You didn’t want my tuition money a few months ago, but now my money is good enough for you?” The caller was rendered speechless and stammering awkward apologies LOL needless to say, they made sure not to repeat that mistake again!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:11 pm
emi1812 wrote:
If you’re in kollel in this town, you really cannot compare your situation at all to those who work. You have kollel privilege. I’ve been living in this town since before some of you were born, and kollel privilege has always been a thing in Lakewood. Your experience of getting into a few schools and being handed a tuition discount=epitome of kollel privilege, as it is only the norm for kollel families, not the non prominent/non-wealthy working ones.

Side story: A big girls school rejected my family when my parents applied. My father asked them why they’re turning down a full tuition paying family with several girls close in age. Their reasoning: “Sorry, you’re not in kollel!” Then a few months later, that school actually had the chutzpah to call my father to solicit a donation!! My father actually said, “You didn’t want my tuition money a few months ago, but now my money is good enough for you?” The caller was rendered speechless and stammering awkward apologies LOL needless to say, they made sure not to repeat that mistake again!

I think I heard your father tell over this story. This story bothered me very much. I’m from Queens and live in Lakewood now. Although there is lots to be proud of, the school situation especially for girls is very unsettling. Along with the lack of acceptance for individuals who struggle with being yeshivish…
If your father is who I think he is, it’s admirable that he still found it in his heart to give back to the community when he could have felt that the hurt from rejection

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:28 pm
emi1812 wrote:

I think I know what you’re referring to. At one point a bunch of new schools were opening and they were being selective with who they accepted. This school didn’t want to become the school that took whoever was rejected from the other schools. So they started rejecting people in droves. Including several of their donors’ grandkids. It was a huge deal. From what I understand they had such a backlash that they needed to rethink their acceptance policies. As they should.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries