Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is imamother so addictive?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:39 am
crust wrote:
Its only for phone
On your Android device go to Settings and then to Digital Wellbeing.
There are so many things you can do with it.

Btw I think I actually saw it here on imamother first.
It was a thread about limiting time on the internet. Many good ideas there.

Will have to look for it.

Maybe manyana.

Edit your post above quoting me. Funny autocorrect LOL

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:40 am
crust wrote:
Its only for phone
On your Android device go to Settings and then to Digital Wellbeing.
There are so many things you can do with it.

Btw I think I actually saw it here on imamother first.
It was a thread about limiting time on the internet. Many good ideas there.

Will have to look for it.

Maybe manyana.

It’s spelled manana. With that squiggle on the first n. That much Spanish I know. I’m learning... pronounced manyana. As in “meesees surry me have doctor manyana so no coming”!

crust

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:40 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Edit your post above quoting me. Funny autocorrect LOL

Let NYU give us all the secrets
What bothers you

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:42 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Your hour for Sunday’s right?
Because don’t tell me you start counting mondays hour 12 am???????

Oh no way. This is absolutely still Sunday’s. The next day only starts after minimum 3 hours of sleep!

crust

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:44 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
It’s spelled manana. With that squiggle on the first n. That much Spanish I know!

I can't believe I didn't know this.
I actually have learn Spanish as one of my goals for the year.

Please don't ask me at the end of the year if I did it.
Its very low on my list.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:46 am
crust wrote:
Let NYU give us all the secrets
What bothers you

Ok ok. Want mychart login info?

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:47 am
crust wrote:
I can't believe I didn't know this.
I actually have learn Spanish as one of my goals for the year.

Please don't ask me at the end of the year if I did it.
Its very low on my list.

It’s pretty high on my list. I need to be able to ask my cleaning lady how she got that pot to REST IN PEACE!!!!! Punch

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:49 am
Ok bli neder starting tomorrow I’m being here for an hour max. Who else is up for this contest? If no diet contest at least this! Confused

Odelyah

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:49 am
is there a good way to use a timer/tracker with a computer? I don't have a smartphone but I would also like to limit my daily usage.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:53 am
Oh my goodness people. SET A KITCHEN TIMER!

When it goes off, you have to go do a chore. Do the dishes, mop, fold laundry, just pick one. Then reward yourself with more screen time. Keep doing this until your house looks fairly livable and no one reports you to the sanitation department.

If you want a serious answer, I can tell you why it's addictive. It's something I've been thinking about lately. The very nature of our modern 2020 lives is more isolating than any other time in history. For people like me who are often too ill to leave home except for essential needs, this is my only social outlet.

For other people, it meets an emotional need, although not in a complete way. Think about the lonely housewife of the 50's and 60's, who was addicted to her afternoon soap operas. (If you are too young to know what a soap opera is, Google it.)

Basically, it's *close* to what you are craving, but since it's not exactly what you need, you keep coming back for more. Drug and alcohol addiction work in a similar way on the pleasure centers of your brain. This is especially true if you just can't walk away from the drama and fighting online.

Just like wine should be for kiddush and simchas, the internet should be used for good instead of bad. I try very hard to use Imamother to lift people up and not put people down. (I'm human, and sometimes I fail, and I deeply apologize.) When I get snarky, I know it's time to cut myself off from things that bring out the worst in me, and stick to areas where I can feel good about what I'm putting out into the world.

Long story short, Imamother, and the the internet in general, is only as good or bad as you make it.

NOW GO WASH SOME DISHES! Very Happy

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:55 am
FF one hour of your posts a day are just not enough. Btw you’re not here too much yourself lately! Are you working on this addiction as well?

dankbar

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:56 am
I'm also here too much, but such open conspiracy in front of Yael's eyes? I don't think she will be too happy, if the main players go off the board ( pun intended)

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:57 am
dankbar wrote:
I'm also here too much, but such open conspiracy in front of Yael's eyes? I don't think she will be too happy, if the main players go off the board ( pun intended)

Absolutely not going off the edge board. I think it’s a compliment that her website is this addictive! It’s obviously awesome!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:06 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
FF one hour of your posts a day are just not enough. Btw you’re not here too much yourself lately! Are you working on this addiction as well?

Are you kidding? I've been binge watching Gordon Ramsay. Hell's Kitchen, Hotel Hell, etc. I can't get enough of him. He comes up with some of the best insults that go over people's heads. At one hotel, he told the owners "The two of you have a great personality together." LOL

The funny thing, is that when he's not on the job, he's the sweetest guy you could ever meet. An interviewer asked him what he was like at home, and he said "I never swear at home. My mom would have a fit, and I have to be a good role model for my kids." He's also extremely kind when his contestants get upset and overwhelmed. He knows when they need some tough motivaton, and when to back off and ask if they are OK.

When interviewing employees that he's fired, they always say "Yeah, he was right. I think it's fair. I totally messed up."

There's a joke that whoever has worked with him, has either gone on to win one Michelin star, or has PTSD.

He's convinced me that I will never open a restaurant!

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you kidding? I've been binge watching Gordon Ramsay. Hell's Kitchen, Hotel Hell, etc. I can't get enough of him. He comes up with some of the best insults that go over people's heads. At one hotel, he told the owners "The two of you have a great personality together." LOL

The funny thing, is that when he's not on the job, he's the sweetest guy you could ever meet. An interviewer asked him what he was like at home, and he said "I never swear at home. My mom would have a fit, and I have to be a good role model for my kids." He's also extremely kind when his contestants get upset and overwhelmed. He knows when they need some tough motivaton, and when to back off and ask if they are OK.

When interviewing employees that he's fired, they always say "Yeah, he was right. I think it's fair. I totally messed up."

There's a joke that whoever has worked with him, has either gone on to win one Michelin star, or has PTSD.

Oh goodness! I don’t want to go from one addiction to the next but you just gave me some great ideas...

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:31 pm
Going well so far. Half hour so far and will save the other half hour for later. Anyone else joining the contest?

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:57 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Going well so far. Half hour so far and will save the other half hour for later. Anyone else joining the contest?

They’re not here to answer you Wink

tothepoint

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:01 pm
Yes I’d like to join!

About the fomo issue:

This probably requires a spin-off but wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a google option of reading out loud a webpage? Of course it will need to be customized for this unique site.

I’m imagining sitting and folding laundry whilst listening to threads being read to me.

Lovely.

soap suds

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:02 pm
tothepoint wrote:
Yes I’d like to join!

About the fomo issue:

This probably requires a spin-off but wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a google option of reading out loud a webpage? Of course it will need to be customized for this unique site.

I’m imagining sitting and folding laundry whilst listening to threads being read to me.

Lovely.
I like that idea. Where do I sign up?

Java

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:10 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Gordon Ramsay is awesome!! Have you watched Masterchef Junior?
If not you should definitely check it out, he is so so sweet with the kids
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics