Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Math and logic riddle thread
  Previous  1  2  3 66 67  68  69  Next

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:02 pm
tothepoint wrote:
A man conducting a survey visits the home of a woman. He knocks on the door and sees a woman with her three children. He asks for the ages of her children. She tells him, “The product of their ages is 72. And the sum of their ages is the number on the door.” So the man goes outside and checks the number of the door. He comes back and says, “I need more information.” She replies: “The oldest one likes strawberries.” Immediately, the man figures out their ages. What are their ages?

Hidden: 

tothepoint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:10 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

No..curios why did you choose this?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:12 pm
tothepoint wrote:
No..curios why did you choose this?

Hidden: 

The product of 2x3x12 is 72
Strawberries has 12 letters.
The sum I didn’t figure out. Is that where I went wrong?

tothepoint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:22 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

The product of 2x3x12 is 72
Strawberries has 12 letters.
The sum I didn’t figure out. Is that where I went wrong?

Ok cute! The strawberry clue will not be used in such a literal sense though

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:02 pm
tothepoint wrote:
Ok cute! The strawberry clue will not be used in such a literal sense though

Need a hint. What can strawberry mean?

tothepoint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:24 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Need a hint. What can strawberry mean?

Ok ExtraCredit, time to get the 📝!
Do you know how to start off solving the riddle?Do you understand what you’re looking for? Once you’re done with step one, you’ll understand how the clue will help you

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:49 pm
tothepoint wrote:
Ok ExtraCredit, time to get the 📝!
Do you know how to start off solving the riddle?Do you understand what you’re looking for? Once you’re done with step one, you’ll understand how the clue will help you

Wasn’t my answer correct if I’d only follow the first clue?

SisterSix

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:51 am
Hidden: 

72 is 3x3x2x2x2

So three kids could be
18, 2, 2
12, 3, 2
9, 4, 2
8, 3, 3
6, 6, 2

And their sum is ambiguous, would need to be
8, 3, 3 =14 or
6, 6, 2 =14

But I still don’t get the strawberries part. Because of the word “oldest”? But even with twins, there’s still an oldest.

Also, he can see the kids so the difference between those two choices would be visibly obvious.

Or, she could have more children that he doesn’t see, but I still don’t understand about the strawberries.

Last edited by SisterSix on Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:58 am
SisterSix wrote:
Hidden: 

72 is 3x3x2x2x2

So three kids could be
18, 2, 2
12, 3, 2
9, 4, 2
8, 3, 3
6, 6, 2

And their sum is ambiguous, would need to be
8, 3, 3 =14 or
6, 6, 2 =14

But I still don’t get the strawberries part. Because of the word “oldest”? But even with twins, there’s still an oldest.

Also, he can see the kids so the difference between those two choices would be visibly obvious.

Why are we limited to only those sums?

SisterSix

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:00 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Why are we limited to only those sums?

He doesn’t know which set of ages it is based on the sum, so it must be a sum that would work for more than one combo

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:02 am
SisterSix wrote:
He doesn’t know which set of ages it is based on the sum, so it must be a sum that would work for more than one combo

No comprehendo. I’ll hafta get back to it tomorrow!

SisterSix

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:13 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
No comprehendo. I’ll hafta get back to it tomorrow!

So the man goes outside and checks the number of the door. He comes back and says, “I need more information.”

He sees the sum on the door but doesn’t know the answer based on that. It must be a sum that doesn’t lead you straight to the answer, it must be a sum that just narrows down your choices. The only two combos I have with the same sum are the ones listed above.

Hidden: 

I forgot to list
6, 4, 3

But that’s not the right answer anyway

ETA uch I forgot to list all the one year olds. I’m going to sleep 😴

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:37 am
tothepoint wrote:
A man conducting a survey visits the home of a woman. He knocks on the door and sees a woman with her three children. He asks for the ages of her children. She tells him, “The product of their ages is 72. And the sum of their ages is the number on the door.” So the man goes outside and checks the number of the door. He comes back and says, “I need more information.” She replies: “The oldest one likes strawberries.” Immediately, the man figures out their ages. What are their ages?

Hidden: 

I suppose the answer would be3,3,8, because I suppose they don't allow for decimals and they would not consider there is an older twin, even if there is...???

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:38 am
SisterSix wrote:
So the man goes outside and checks the number of the door. He comes back and says, “I need more information.”

He sees the sum on the door but doesn’t know the answer based on that. It must be a sum that doesn’t lead you straight to the answer, it must be a sum that just narrows down your choices. The only two combos I have with the same sum are the ones listed above.

Hidden: 

I forgot to list
6, 4, 3

But that’s not the right answer anyway

ETA uch I forgot to list all the one year olds. I’m going to sleep 😴

I got it now! Brilliant!

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:38 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
Hidden: 

I suppose the answer would be3,3,8, because I suppose they don't allow for decimals and they would not consider there is an older twin, even if there is...???

Yes I believe this is it. You’re up already? So why am I still up?

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:42 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Yes I believe this is it. You’re up already? So why am I still up?

Mourning for the 20 quart pot?
Tell me, I did not understand what happened... I thought you just told the pot to rest for a while, and now he suddenly died?
Confused Sad Crying

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:53 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
Mourning for the 20 quart pot?
Tell me, I did not understand what happened... I thought you just told the pot to rest for a while, and now he suddenly died?
Confused Sad Crying

On one thread I wrote that he’s stuck in the cabinet and since I don’t need both 20 qt pots at the same time till next Elul it can Rest In Peace till then. Along cake Crust and stirred up a soup commotion and opened another thread RIP the pot. So I went along with it... but in reality it’s very much alive, just stuck!

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:58 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
On one thread I wrote that he’s stuck in the cabinet and since I don’t need both 20 qt pots at the same time till next Elul it can Rest In Peace till then. Along cake Crust and stirred up a soup commotion and opened another thread RIP the pot. So I went along with it... but in reality it’s very much alive, just stuck!

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Oh, so he is not dead? that's good news... because there was thread about a leaking pot not too long ago... In the past, there was profession pot-repairman, but I think it went out of fashion...

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:00 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Oh, so he is not dead? that's good news... because there was thread about a leaking pot not too long ago... In the past, there was profession pot-repairman, but I think it went out of fashion...

It’s very much alive and pretty new too. My cleaning lady just made sure it rests in peace for a long time. Speaking of resting in peace, Im Gonna try to catch some zzzzs before the sun comes out in my part of town. Thanks for the condolences. Heart

tothepoint

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:18 am
SistersSix & Chaniemommy, well done!
Page 67 of 69   Previous  1  2  3 66 67  68  69  Next Recent Topics