Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Siblings with similar sounding names
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:45 am
Would it be weird to name a girl a name that sounds similar to her older sister? For example, if you already have a Chana, would it be weird (or annoying!) to name the next girl Chaya? We already have two girls with names that are almost rhyming, and it seems like we tend to like similar sounding names, but maybe it's too much? Would you do chava and chaya?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:53 am
Good to be aware of it; however, if I loved the names or were naming after loved ones I would do it. They are stand alone names. We know many families with a Chaya, Chana, and Chava...seems normal to me. Beautiful names.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:58 am
My family has three similar sounding names-I don't think it's weird at all. Only one has two names. (Chava, Chana, Chaya)

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would it be weird to name a girl a name that sounds similar to her older sister? For example, if you already have a Chana, would it be weird (or annoying!) to name the next girl Chaya? We already have two girls with names that are almost rhyming, and it seems like we tend to like similar sounding names, but maybe it's too much? Would you do chava and chaya?

I would. I would though try to avoid those names that end very similarly, like Ruchy and Bruchy, cause that can cause a lot of confusion when you're calling out for the child.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We have all 3! And it was never a problem!

Funny story though: My sister Chava is named after a great-aunt of my mother A"H. This wonderful woman rescued her niece (my mother's mother) at the last minute, bringing her from Europe to the US to escape the holocaust. So my parents decided to name their daughter after her.

When I was in seminary in Israel, I met and spent Shabbosos with many of my cousins, grandchildren of this great-great-aunt Chava. One of them (also named Chava) told me that their great-grandmother's name was Chaya, but their grandfather did not name any of his daughters after her (his mother), because his wife was Chava (the Chava I'm talking about). He held that Chaya and Chava are the same name. For this reason, they have lots of Chavas in their family but not Chaya.

His source is a Kli Yakar in Beraishis that discusses the original Chava (Eve) and says, why wasn't her name Chaya if the reason for her name is "Em Kol Chai"? His answer is that her name WAS Chaya, before the sin, and Chava after the sin.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:19 am
I know a family with a ruchama, nechama, and nachum
I know another family with a dovid and Davida.

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I know a family with a ruchama, nechama, and machine
I know another family with a dovid and Davida.

Machine? Menucha? Autocorrect,lol

camp123

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:34 am
. Dissenting voice here I wouldn't

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:35 am
It depends how similar. IMO Chava and Chaya have similar spellings but the sounds are different enough that it is fine.

But I think Ilan and Ilana would be a disaster. Ben Tzion and Bat Zion would be weird. Shlomo and Shlomit, no, but Shlomo and Shulamit would be ok.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:37 am
My SIL has 2 girls a year apart. They're Hindy & Mindy. I wouldn't give such similar sounding names to siblings especially when they're so close in age.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:41 am
I know to sisters close in age that are Yocheved and Chava. They known as Chev and Chav though. Gets very confusing.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:43 am
sounds adorable!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
My SIL has 2 girls a year apart. They're Hindy & Mindy. I wouldn't give such similar sounding names to siblings especially when they're so close in age.

I think it’s kind of cute. I know a family with three rhyming sisters. When we were kids we were always jealous. Now grown up they’re all very close and they’re a beautiful family.

heidi

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:54 am
camp123 wrote:
. Dissenting voice here I wouldn't

Me either.
We know a family with a Chaya and Chaim a year apart. Always struck me as weird.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:55 am
I have siblings with similar names, I also have kids that have names that sound very similar. It's never been an issue. If people think it's weird, too bad, it doesn't affect us.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:00 am
how about avi (avigdor) and avromi Very Happy (add in avigail and aviva and we can have 4 avi's...)

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
how about avi (avigdor) and avromi Very Happy (add in avigail and aviva and we can have 4 avi's...)

No it's too much in my opinion😆
We have an Avi and I love the name Aviva but wouldn't do it!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:11 am

I know them too

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I know them too

This made me lol 😆

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:16 am

My cousin's DD's are Mindy and Hindy (but they are more than two years apart. So they are not your nieces!)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names