Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Curious to hear why you think kids can't learn on zoom
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:41 am
Let me preface this by saying that I HATE ZOOM. I want my kids out of the house and on a normal schedule. I work full time and I am losing my mind being on top of all that is involved with zooming.
Logistically we are not yet really set up with enough computers, web cams and head phones.
But-
On a different thread somebody mentioned that ZOOM is not like homeschooling and therefore kids won't be learning much on it.
If you think so, I would like to understand why you are saying that.
If a child is set up properly and is being taught on his level-- why wouldn't he progress scholastically?

Isn't this how the chabad sheluchim in remote locations have been doing elementary school for a while now?

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:43 am
I've got no clue but it doesn't work for my kids.

(Personally, I'm not a great remote student either- I do better in real class than in online class.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:43 am
My friend is a public school teacher. I dont know which modality shes using, but she says it's a disaster. The kids are not learning a thing. Half the kids dont clock in on a regular basis, etc.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:44 am
I have one child that is doing well learning like that and another who is not. He can't grasp the information very well and tends to space out and not sit well.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:45 am
Ummmm..... because my kids couldn’t learn on zoom?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:47 am
Reading, handwriting, math in lower elementary is not very zoomable. Homeschooling is if the parent will put in the time & effort. In older grades the problem is gaming & videos on the same screen as zoom.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:47 am
Some of my kids have attention/focusing difficulties, and they just cant keep their focus when there's not action and physical people and activity.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:48 am
So are the teachers just not equipped with enough tools to run a remote classroom?
Or perhaps the kids not coming on because they don't have a computer? My daughter's teacher made a point and prize system for kids that enter on time.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:49 am
because we see that they are not
perhaps its because they are used to learning in person
perhaps they feel its stressful covid related
who knows
fact that it is just not working for them

children of shluchim have a whole different context and purpose as to the reason for which they are remote learning.
Nothing exists in a vacuum.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:53 am
My daughter used to have school from 8-3. Now zoom sometimes is 2 classes a day sometimes 4, but its not all the subjects and kids have so many distractions at home. And as my daughter said, its boring ema. And yes, it is. In school there is just school. At home, there are other people around and kids are just not used to having to watch their teacher in the same way that they are meant to now. Its just plain hard.
And how is this anything like home schooling? Home schooling is still the teacher / parent being physically there teaching the student/child.
Its very different.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:54 am
One of my kids can't handle staring at a screen, she walks away, tunes out or puts her head down. She picked up nothing so far. Another one gets so distracted and irritated at the constant movements and sounds, she can't concentrate. We see that our kids are simply not learning.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So are the teachers just not equipped with enough tools to run a remote classroom?
Or perhaps the kids not coming on because they don't have a computer? My daughter's teacher made a point and prize system for kids that enter on time.
Its different for everyone. My daughter has a classmate who is one of 13. They are not all learning on zoom, but she is not the oldest and the older ones, in high school, definitely get priority on the laptops. So this girl misses classes here and there and there for does not learn well.
Some teachers are awful on zoom. They just can not figure it out.
And prize system works up to a certain age. After that, the kids truly do not care. And some parents just cant handle it so they dont care either.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:56 am
I hear, thank you for giving me another perspective. I thought the majority of the issue was logistical. It must be really tough and frustrating to watch a child go through days of not learning and not getting it.

Stars

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:58 am
You're seriously asking that?

edit: Ok, I see you are.
Here's why it didn't work for my kid.
He needs the input of in person learning.
He doesn't have great vision so staring at a screen is hard.
It's hard to keep focus when you are not "there" with the teacher/therapist.
It feels like floating in an ocean by yourself.
He has the option of running off whenever he feels like it. It is in no way comparable to an actual classroom.
Kriah, and some other things, are not really teachable by phone or computer, especially not when the parent did not make the intentional choice of homeschooling this particular child.
Homeschooling would never work for us and I knew this years before the pandemic hit.
"homeschooling" over a screen would DEFINITELY not work for us, as it has proven itself.

Last edited by Stars on Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:01 am
Stars wrote:
You're seriously asking that?

Yes, I am.
Since this is probably going to be continuing at least through this school year I am trying to figure out if we can possibly get into a good routine once I have enough computers and desks.

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:01 am
As someone said, zoom learning is just another form of screentime

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:09 am
Zehava wrote:
As someone said, zoom learning is just another form of screentime

Not true. Peppa pig and curious George keep my kids focused more than their rebbi or math teacher can.

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:09 am
Lucky for you OP that your child behaves on zoom. I have one child like that and bless Hashem everyday that he has the ability to focus.

My other child who is extremely bright has learned NOTHING on zoom!! This child sits for a minute and wanders off. He is busy clicking to see the faces of the other boys in the class. Last year when I was home from work I'd sit with him and we barely managed. This year when I have to be at work in person? No way!!

OP, count your blessings!!

avrahamama

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:12 am
It works for chabad shluch because they go into it prepared. They have a different set of needs and expectations. And the school is an actual online school. Not an in person school that is recalibrated to do online or both or neither lol.

In addition your taking a child who has always learned one way and thrown them into a new way. Without giving them a chance to unschool and readjust. Same applies to the teacher.

In addition homeschooler make an active choice to homeschool their kids and apply their own person educational philosophies accordingly. So one parent may teach solely out of workbooks while another might use plain real life experiences as education. And that's just the tip of the magnificent homeschool iceberg....

Also if in a classroom it's hard for a teacher to pick up the individual needs of a child as they vary each day and over the course of the day... Imaging what it's like on zoom....

It could work. But it would take a few years to make it work. It's not an instant thing. Right now it's crisis learning and it's not optimal.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:13 am
You can make it work if you are motivated enough and the kids are and seems warranted/has a purpose.
When in person learning is an option this really pales by comparison.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics