Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Iso therspist For adhd behaviors north nj

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 3:35 pm
ds has adhd & a lot of very difficult behaviors. (Maybe not all adhd related).
He loves to push ppl to the endth degree, loves to "accidentally " hurt people, will argue incessantly and various other things.
We are in a negative cycle with him & need help.
He is on meds but they don't help much.
The psychiatrist suggested therapy but idk what type.
I spoke to a behaviorist, but she works mainly with the parents & has us modify his behavior. Which I think will not work because of this negative cycle.
I prefer someone work one on one with him

What type of therapist do I look for & any suggestions for North NJ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:52 pm
Bump please.
I asked the school, the psychiatrist- they have no information for me.
I would even take the names of really good therspists in North NJ & call to see if they can help us & him.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:55 pm
Have you had him evaluated for pandas? Sounds a lot like it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:23 pm
We are looking specifically for a therapist for him right now

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:42 am
Op here if anyone has a good therapist in north NJ please let me know. We are very desperate to help understand & help our son.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:54 am
I know you are looking for a good therapist. I don't know anyone in north jersey but we've seen a lot of success with the collaborative problem solving/the explosive child approach. Another point to consider (although I know a hard one) is that meds are often trial and error. If what he is on isn't doing much maybe it's not the best fit?
Good luck! Hope you find a successful solution and have lots of nachas!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:00 am
Does it need to be northern jersey? What about central jersey?
Dr. Meir flanczbaum in east Brunswick is supposed to be great.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:04 am
Yes North Jersey is important because of scheduling.
Parenting methods are super important but he really needs psychological help.
We are working on getting the meds right, but they can't change his behaviors

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:20 am
Miriam Manela. I don't know her personally but I have taken her courses and this is exactly her specialty, and she is very in tune with kids, which I consider the #1 ingredient for success for any therapy. She is an OT.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:50 am
Ot is not psychological help.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:53 am
Don’t know if you specifically want a man but Eva Lazar in Teaneck is top notch! She’s a psychologist.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ot is not psychological help.

I know it's out of the box, but I want to encourage you to look into it anyway, perhaps as an add-on to traditional psychological help. There is a strong connection between physical sense of stability and emotional stability. I know a top therapist in Lakewood who often recommends OT to her clients. But it needs to be an OT with specific training in the working with this area.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 9:22 am
I am very pro getting ABA to treat this rather than using talk psychology. Is that something you would consider? In NJ he should be able to get the services without an Autism diagnosis, but if he does qualify for an autism diagnosis then those services would be provided through your insurance. There are many different agencies servicing north Jersey for this and once you decide to go that route you can find out from the agency the name of an available therapist and then do research into that person.

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 9:38 am
I second the recommendation for Miriam Manela's group Thrive OT

https://thethrivegroup.co/

If not for covid I'd also be recommending the center for clinical services at Montclair State University
https://www.montclair.edu/comm.....king/

They are currently only doing zoom type sessions but when they're in person they have clinicians that do DIR /floortime rather than ABA.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 9:48 am
cbsp wrote:
I second the recommendation for Miriam Manela's group Thrive OT

https://thethrivegroup.co/

If not for covid I'd also be recommending the center for clinical services at Montclair State University
https://www.montclair.edu/comm.....king/

They are currently only doing zoom type sessions but when they're in person they have clinicians that do DIR /floortime rather than ABA.

A combination of good OT and floortime helped my son a lot

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 9:53 am
Dr Jonathan Frohlich. I believe he's based on the Teaneck area. He also does parent coaching.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:52 pm
Therapist here, FYI, the best therapist should be working with you as well. No way can you treat this exclusively with the child. You mentioned a negative cycle which means you'll have to change as well. It's rough. Hatzlacha!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:55 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Therapist here, FYI, the best therapist should be working with you as well. No way can you treat this exclusively with the child. You mentioned a negative cycle which means you'll have to change as well. It's rough. Hatzlacha!

This is so true.
My social work-floortime therapist worked closely with both me and my child. I then added a good parenting course to my arsenal of tools and eventually started doing my own inner work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)