Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Sibling's name

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:31 am
Anyone have an issue using/not using a name because it's the name of the parent (of the baby)'s sibling?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have an issue using/not using a name because it's the name of the parent (of the baby)'s sibling?

What kind of issue?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:41 am
OP here -

meaning that they didn't want to use the name
as in take issue with it
in a context of naming after someone from the other side, but if it's your sibling's name is that a reason not to

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:43 am
Like a step grandparent? You have to ask the gparent some mind & some don't mind.

It wasn't shayich yet in my family, but my mom's husband bears same name as my mom's deceased grandfather. If someone in family would like to name after this ancestor, I guess would ask then.

I know someone who's step daughter named her baby with one name of him. He was upset.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here -

meaning that they didn't want to use the name
as in take issue with it
in a context of naming after someone from the other side, but if it's your sibling's name is that a reason not to

I didn't understand. Thought sib's grandparent like by blended family issues.

In my community, where people name after ancestors, it is very common for an aunt/uncle to have same name as niece/nephew.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:46 am
I named a child the same as one of my sibling's names and may name more because I will be naming after the same relatives my parents were naming after. I asked beforehand and didn't hear of a problem with it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:09 pm
OP again - I know it's not really a problem - people do it all the time, I'm just wondering if it was difficult for anyone, or if anyone found it strange

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:03 pm
Before my dd was born, one of the names on our list was the same as a sibling and I was like, not sure I want to have the same name. After she was born, the morning dh went to shul, he was like, so you okay with the name, and I was, sure. It was only after we named her, I remembered about the issue of the same name as the sibling. Guess it was meant to be.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP again - I know it's not really a problem - people do it all the time, I'm just wondering if it was difficult for anyone, or if anyone found it strange

It was a bit strange, and I'm a bit more hesitant of giving the same names as siblings who were close in age to me. I also call my daughter by a different nickname than my sister for that reason also.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:20 pm
My relative is named for his grandfather.

When his brothers named their sons after their grandfather, which is his name, he was very upset because he felt like they were naming after him (which they obviously were not).

I think his attitude is immature and selfish because it's a family name.

However, if it wasn't a family name, I would think it's weird.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:21 pm
My brother named his daughter my name because it was SIL's grandmother.
They did warn me before.
Niece and I have diff middle names but we aren't called by them.
It's a bit weird. I also didn't get married til my niece was a teenager so we had the exact same fname,lname for many years.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:27 pm
that's exactly what I mean - it's weird, but so what
or it's weird so don't do it

seems so strange to me to the point of very uncomfortable, but it seems like unjustified to not use the name

rdmom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:34 pm
My name is Esther. Named after my grandmother. All my brothers and sisters have an Esther. Named after the same grandmother. So normal in our family. Nobody asked me permission and I wouldn’t think they had to ask.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
that's exactly what I mean - it's weird, but so what
or it's weird so don't do it

seems so strange to me to the point of very uncomfortable, but it seems like unjustified to not use the name

My SIL was very close to her grandmother and wanted to name her child for her.
If I was in the same position I probably would do the same. My DD is named for my beloved grandmother and if DH had a sister or SIL with the same name, I would still want my DD to have my grandmother's name.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:02 pm
So funny, I wouldn’t think twice if naming after someone. I probably wouldn’t do it if it was just a name I liked and picked out of the blue. My husband has ten siblings. You can be sure many names have been taken. I named my son after my grandfather and my husband’s brother has the same name. Although they each have different nicknames. But the fact that it’s the same name didn’t even dawn on me. I iyh plan to name my baby the same name as my brother. Why shouldn’t I name after my grandfather just because my brother was also named after him? That’s the way it’s done in my family. People would probably think it’s weirder if we didn’t name after anyone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:09 pm
I wonder if I has to do with how many siblings a person has. if you come from a family of ten kids, like you said, amother, there's no other way! someone from a small family of two or three might have a harder time

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:18 pm
I wouldn't. I know it's commonly done, but I don't like it. We had other options for names and we chose those instead.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder if I has to do with how many siblings a person has. if you come from a family of ten kids, like you said, amother, there's no other way! someone from a small family of two or three might have a harder time

In my experience there are family names and it’s the norm for aunts and uncles to share names with nieces and nephews. But I like I said I wouldn’t copy a unique name just because I like it if it was already taken (even by a cousin).

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:23 pm
I have a niece with same name as me. I call her "little me".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names