Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Siblings with similar sounding names
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:20 pm
I know a family that have 2 daughters a year apart eliana and Lana
Always found it strange!
Like why??

I personally have a Chaya and can’t see myself naming another one Chana (even tho that’s one of his relatives names commonly used)

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
we did this, without thinking. Yair and Meir. Totally didn't think about it, just was naming after relatives! After the bris of the second one, my dad asked me 'what were you thinking?" Doesn't sound exactly the same, but has the same meaning. A little weird, right? I still feel a little funny about it.

Us too!!
Honestly didn't even think about it till after the bris.
My husband's name is Meir (he doesn't go by that name)
We named our baby Yair, we do call him that.
Day to day no issue.
But an aliyah is יאיר בן מאיר.
BH they have middle names to break it up.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:57 pm
My son goes by the nickname Yoshi. I didn't realize until after we named him that now we'll never be able to use the name Shoshana, because then we'd have Yoshi and Shoshi! It's a bit unfortunate, because I do love the name, but I'm unlikely to have many more children and there are other names to use.

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
My son goes by the nickname Yoshi. I didn't realize until after we named him that now we'll never be able to use the name Shoshana, because then we'd have Yoshi and Shoshi! It's a bit unfortunate, because I do love the name, but I'm unlikely to have many more children and there are other names to use.

As a Shoshana who went by Shoshi when she was little... I did at age 5 suddenly decide, No I'm going to be called Shoshana. Don't not use a name because of a nickname. Kids change their names.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

Huh why does her nickname have to be shoshi? I happen to personally not love that nickname anyway. But you can call her Shoshana, shana, Shani...
(OOC what’s yoshi’s full name?)

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Huh why does her nickname have to be shoshi? I happen to personally not love that nickname anyway. But you can call her Shoshana, shana, Shani...
(OOC what’s yoshi’s full name?)

Yoshiyahu Smile

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:32 pm
If they have similar sounding names but the names have different meanings, I would consider giving it, but if they have different or similar sounding names with the same meaning, I wouldn't. So Chaya and Chava are the same and I wouldn't give. Also Baruch and Bracha, Yehuda and Yehudis, or Tzvi and Hersh or Shaina and Yaffa I wouldn't give. Menachem and Menucha are not the same meaning- so I would give, no idea what Mendel and Mindel mean.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:51 pm
I know a family with a Uriel,Itai ,Etiel names feel very similar

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I also know a family with a Hershy and Gershy. Also, Bruchy and Ruchy, and Yitty and Gitty.
And a couple Mendy and Mindy. Different couple Beri and Peri.

Can't Believe It
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names