Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Indecisive with name

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:33 pm
If you ever struggled to decide between two names for a child, how did you come to a decision and then stop second guessing it?
I already completed birth certificate but still going back and forth between the two options... obviously once baby is officially named that’s it. I’m so torn

sky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:44 pm
We went through this a few times.

We ended up asking a gadol for an eitza and one time a rebbetzin.
Both times they pointed us in the right direction.

One time gadol suggested DH discuss the names with a parent and afterwords we had clarity.
Other time rebbetzin just gave us perspective to help make decision.
Both those times I had total menucha once we chose.
ETA - just remembered this was with one child. Both the ppl we spoke to their advise pointed us to the same name. They didn’t tell us what to name, just what to think about.

Harder then choosing between name for me was choosing the pronunciation - yiddish or English version of the same name. We decided as DH walked to shul to name. With that I didn’t have peace with my choice for a long time. But now I’m happy looking back.

Last edited by sky on Thu, Sep 24 2020, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:37 pm
Currently pg and this is the first time we dont know what we are going to name. Definitely going to be following this thread.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:43 am
With my daughter I had three names picked after 3 women I would have liked to name after. These three people looked very different, one had very light almost white blonde hair, one had red hair, and one brunette, so my plan was to wait until my daughter was born and name her after who she most looked like.

My daughter came out with dark blonde hair, and I excluded the red head's name but between the other two she didn't really look more like one than the other, so I picked the name I slightly liked more (was the brunette's name btw).

I think I'm the only one in the world who chose my child's name based on hair color, so going amother for this 😂

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:06 am
I had this with two of my kids. Both times there were compelling reasons to name based on when the baby was born. I liked those names, but there was another name I also wanted to give. Both times I chose the name I wanted for other reasons, even though it was hard to justify not naming based on the timing. (Think baby born on Zayin Adar, named Aharon and not Moshe.)

Funnily enough, I had another child around the same date, and STILL didn't give the "timing" name! That's because DH had a strong feeling for another name, and since I didn't have a strong feeling either way I just went with his choice.

With my two "vacillating" names, I still connect the child to the other name that I might have given. I think that the reason why it was so hard to choose is that the neshama IS connected to both of the names. But I'm sure that the one I chose is the "right" name.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:21 pm
Following this thread... VERY torn right now between two names.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for a rov or Rebbetzin (preferably Rebbetzin, since it's my issue, not DH's) who can help me feel at peace with a decision?

Thank you!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:40 pm
I had a baby recently and also couldn't figure out a perfect name. The whole pregnancy I couldn't think of a suitable name and was hoping once she's born I'll have more clarity. We ended up giving her a name we had on the back burner, but all week from when we put it on the birth certificate until her kiddush I was second guessing myself.
Now that she's named, I'm happy. Not sure if I'm happy with the name, or just that it's resolved.
(We weren't debating between two names, we just didn't have a name we 100% felt was right.)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:48 pm
I’m currently pregnant, only have children of one gender and pregnant with yet another of the same! BH!!
Dont have any family names left to use, and neither of us especially have a favorite name type of thing!
So right now just wondering how on earth we’re going to name this child!!
Hopefully by the time it’s born Iyh we’l have picked something out!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:20 pm
recently had this same exact issue, called rav and he shared best advice ever - he said the name should make the mother happy when she says it. pick the name that gives you more joy. Picked it and thrilled with our choice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names