Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry Potter mistakes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:12 pm
Good point Mauve

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:19 pm

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:09 pm
Love this thread! One thing that always stood out to me was how Dumbledore used a “Put-Outer” to shut the lights on Privet Drive in the Philosopher’s Stone, but left Ron a “Deluminator” in his will... think it was just a later prototype of his invention?

esther11

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:25 pm
The thestrals thing has bothered me for years!! Same with the marauder’s map inconsistencies with Peter Perttigrew. And how a bunch of 11 year olds getting the sorcerer’s stone.

Here some others:

-Harry, Ron, and Hermione breaking into Gringotts, which is supposed to be virtually theft proof.
-The house elves sullenly pop into existence in the second book.
- Why weren’t the Potter’s their own secret keepers??
- How does Hagrid manage to use his wand remains for magic, while when anyone else’s wand is cracked it is nearly useless?
- The limitless supply of polyjuice potion in the later books.

Java

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:30 pm
esther11 wrote:
The thestrals thing has bothered me for years!! Same with the marauder’s map inconsistencies with Peter Perttigrew. And how a bunch of 11 year olds getting the sorcerer’s stone.

Here some others:

-Harry, Ron, and Hermione breaking into Gringotts, which is supposed to be virtually theft proof.
- How does Hagrid manage to use his wand remains for magic, while when anyone else’s wand is cracked it is nearly useless?

Some of those are really plot points...
-they almost fail breaking into gringotts (the dragon, the thief's downfall, the precautions inside the vault) they spend ages planning for it and then things go wrong anyways
-there are plenty of things we don't hear about until they're relevant to the story... thestrals for example
-isn't it mentioned that Hermione brewed a large amount of polyjuice potion sometime in the 7th book? (or maybe between the 6 and 7th)
-The other 2 are good points... I'm speculating maybe you can't be your own secret keeper?
-As far as the hagrids wand one, I've actually heard a good pshat on this which is that Dumbledore fixes it for him using the Elder Wand (we know it can do that because Harry uses it for that at the end of #7)

esther11

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:36 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
-they almost fail breaking into gringotts (the dragon, the thief's downfall, the precautions inside the vault) they spend ages planning for it and then things go wrong anyways
-there are plenty of things we don't hear about until they're relevant to the story... thestrals for example
-isn't it mentioned that Hermione brewed a large amount of polyjuice potion sometime in the 7th book? (or maybe between the 6 and 7th)
-The other 2 are good points... I'm speculating maybe you can't be your own secret keeper?
-As far as the hagrids wand one, I've actually heard a good pshat on this which is that Dumbledore fixes it for him using the Elder Wand (we know it can do that because Harry uses it for that at the end of #7)

Plot points or not, they still bother me 😂
The elder wand repair is a good theory though, I can accept that!

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:02 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:

In the seventh book, Bill Weasley and Mr. Weasley are both their own Secret Keepers; Bill for Shell Cottage (his own home) and Mr. Weasley at Aunt Muriel.

mommy12

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:07 pm
I just finished reading the 7th book to my kids at bedtime. The part that bugged me the most is when Ollivander said that when a wand is conquered it switches allegiances, which is how Harry got Malfoy's wand and Hermione got Bellatrix's wand. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there were many times we saw people win over someone else in the books using their wand and the wands never switched allegiance. Why now is that suddenly a thing?

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:10 pm
mommy12 wrote:
I just finished reading the 7th book to my kids at bedtime. The part that bugged me the most is when Ollivander said that when a wand is conquered it switches allegiances, which is how Harry got Malfoy's wand and Hermione got Bellatrix's wand. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there were many times we saw people win over someone else in the books using their wand and the wands never switched allegiance. Why now is that suddenly a thing?

How do we know that the wands never switched allegiance?

Or maybe the wizard just preferred their own wandor maybe the wizard just preferred their own wand

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:12 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
In the seventh book, Bill Weasley and Mr. Weasley are both their own Secret Keepers; Bill for Shell Cottage (his own home) and Mr. Weasley at Aunt Muriel.

My thought process is simply that for whatever reason somebody else might need to tell where James and Lily were hiding. But they if they would leave maybe that would have ruined the spell so they had to tell someone on the outside in case that information needed to be given over

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Ive always thought that introducing the concept of time travel was the biggest mistake JK Rowling could’ve possibly made. It invalidates every single thing that happened, because it all could’ve possibly been changed.

Hence the smashed time-turners in OotP

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:43 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Who the heck bases a monetary system on PRIME NUMBERS????

29 knuts in a sickle and 17 sickles in a galleon... it’s purely for a whimsical aesthetic, because it makes no practical sense whatsoever!!!

(Wizarding economics make no sense in general, anyway. The world was made to make sense to children in the target audience and their sense of whimsy and wonder; it’s 100% aesthetic set dressing with no internal consistency. JKR’s strength is in characters, not plot or world building, imho)

It's supposed to be making fun of the weird system of British currency they had before it was switched to the metric system.

I think a lot of her comedy is satire, and should be taken as such by a critical reader.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:54 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Ah, yes... my brain doesn’t officially accept The Cursed Child as part the HP series so I didn’t think of that...

I agree with you. JK Rowling didn't write it - she basically lent her name to it. It doesn't have the charm or tone of the other books. I don't accept it either.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:03 pm
imanonymous wrote:
The whole series is kind of about that, no? How did Harry resist the magic of the Horcrux, Tom Riddle's diary? You could say that it's a deus ex machina, but the underlying theme of the entire series is that love is more powerful than hate in the end. The mirror? Lily's protection that Voldemort could not break, no matter how many times he tried? Fawkes healing Harry? It's all love.

There were a lot of wizards who were brave and loving and died in the first wizarding war, and later on when Voldemort came back to power.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:05 pm
singleagain wrote:
No there's definitely an official source.

Besides supercarlin Brothers are rooted in sources.

I've always marveled that these books were not written divinely, and yet they've stood up remarkably well to so much analysis and scrutiny. Even with some plot holes, she's brilliant.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:34 pm
esther11 wrote:

Here some others:

The house elves popping in suddenly was weird. Like they never thought who washed their clothes and cleaned their bathrooms and cooked their food until then? Scratching Head

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
The house elves popping in suddenly was weird. Like they never thought who washed their clothes and cleaned their bathrooms and cooked their food until then? Scratching Head

They were 11 in the first book. How many eleven-year-olds do you know who think about that kind of thing?

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:47 pm
youngishbear wrote:
It's supposed to be making fun of the weird system of British currency they had before it was switched to the metric system.

I think a lot of her comedy is satire, and should be taken as such by a critical reader.

What was it someone said about WW currency being complicated?

Dina2018

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:49 pm
tigerwife wrote:
There is an incredibly powerful time-changing tool called the time-turner and it is used exclusively to help an over-ambitious 13-year-old get to extra classes.

she‘s a tester. Its a pilot project

Dina2018

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:51 pm
chicco wrote:
1. You can't resolve everything because it was written by a fallible human.

2. If Quirrel dies because he can't handle being touched by Harry with Voldemort inside of him, how was he able to shake Harry's hand in the Leaky Cauldron without crumbling? He was already wearing the turban and carrying Voldemort with him.

2. Voldemort was very week then, not as strong as when Quirrel dies
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics