Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry Potter mistakes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
There were a lot of wizards who were brave and loving and died in the first wizarding war, and later on when Voldemort came back to power.

As I said, in the end. That doesn't mean there won't be much loss and sacrifice. That doesn't mean that evil will never have the upper hand. But ultimately, love will triumph over hate. That's the underlying theme I see in HP.

Last edited by amother on Thu, May 06 2021, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:13 pm
-The entire fourth book is a mystery to me. The triwizard tournament is a cool concept but two out of three of the tasks aren’t even watchable by an audience. The second task takes place under water and the third is in a maze nobody can see into.
Also, there seems to be a tremendous amount of concern that something fishy is happening in hogwarts but all anyone seems to do about it is to tell Harry to be careful. (I feel the same way when there is a monster in the bowels of the school and nobody seems to do anything about it in the second book)
-And the only possible way Voldemort can get ahold of Harry is by orchestrating some year long scheme that involves getting Harry through a competition that has so many uncontrollable variables to get him to touch a portkey? Why couldn’t crouch/mad-eye turn his fork into a portkey the first day of school? Come on!
-Sirius makes a comment about “if you want to get the measure of a man, see how he treats his inferiors” when referring to how Crouch treated Winky. But we all know how he ends up treating Kreacher in the next book.

Ok that’s all for now. But I can go on and on 😝

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:24 pm
youngishbear wrote:
They were 11 in the first book. How many eleven-year-olds do you know who think about that kind of thing?

Maybe, but where were the elves hiding the whole first year? They evidently were there behind the scene because the students DID eat.

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:08 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Maybe, but where were the elves hiding the whole first year? They evidently were there behind the scene because the students DID eat.

It's specifically says in the books that the mark of a good house elf is one that you never see.

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
-The entire fourth book is a mystery to me. The triwizard tournament is a cool concept but two out of three of the tasks aren’t even watchable by an audience. The second task takes place under water and the third is in a maze nobody can see into.
Also, there seems to be a tremendous amount of concern that something fishy is happening in hogwarts but all anyone seems to do about it is to tell Harry to be careful. (I feel the same way when there is a monster in the bowels of the school and nobody seems to do anything about it in the second book)
-And the only possible way Voldemort can get ahold of Harry is by orchestrating some year long scheme that involves getting Harry through a competition that has so many uncontrollable variables to get him to touch a portkey? Why couldn’t crouch/mad-eye turn his fork into a portkey the first day of school? Come on!
-Sirius makes a comment about “if you want to get the measure of a man, see how he treats his inferiors” when referring to how Crouch treated Winky. But we all know how he ends up treating Kreacher in the next book.

Ok that’s all for now. But I can go on and on 😝

Also as for the way sirius treated krecher that's a "Do as I say not as I do" flaw that a lot of people have... How many people do you know who are hypocrites one way or another.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:20 am
How was Hagrid allowed to perform magic in front of muggles in order to get harry his letters? How is Hagrid even allowed in the muggle world?

How come harry couldn't prove his wand was locked up when dobby did the magic he was accused of?

its.just.me

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:28 am
I’ve always been bothered by some of the things already mentioned, specifically peter petigrew on the marauder’s map and the time turner. But the one that bothers me endlessly that nobody talks about is how the ministry of magic “tracks” underage magic. Basically they see magic happening where Harry lives and say “oh hey no adult wizards live there it must be underage magic” but they can’t tell any details about it? That makes no sense.

That means they have no way to track magic done by kids who’s parents are wizards or live with wizards? Seems super biased against muggle born kids if you ask me. Plus, imagine the magic that Fred and George do that gets chalked up to their parents. Can't Believe It

Java

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:33 am
its.just.me wrote:
I’ve always been bothered by some of the things already mentioned, specifically peter petigrew on the marauder’s map and the time turner. But the one that bothers me endlessly that nobody talks about is how the ministry of magic “tracks” underage magic. Basically they see magic happening where Harry lives and say “oh hey no adult wizards live there it must be underage magic” but they can’t tell any details about it? That makes no sense.

That means they have no way to track magic done by kids who’s parents are wizards or live with wizards? Seems super biased against muggle born kids if you ask me. Plus, imagine the magic that Fred and George do that gets chalked up to their parents. Can't Believe It

I think that gets mentioned at some point actually in the books

cbsp

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:37 pm
If there are wizards of non wizard heritage in the wizarding community why oh why aren't they in charge of a department of ministry to make sure all muggle-wizard community interactions (like on the level of the world cup) are run through them? That would eliminate clothing issues and money exchange issues, etc.

I know it makes for good humor, but what's the rationale not to have that?

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
If there are wizards of non wizard heritage in the wizarding community why oh why aren't they in charge of a department of ministry to make sure all muggle-wizard community interactions (like on the level of the world cup) are run through them? That would eliminate clothing issues and money exchange issues, etc.

I know it makes for good humor, but what's the rationale not to have that?

Pure blood elitist who are in charge and don't want to learn They don't think they should have to

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 1:27 pm
The whole situation with house elves and clothing seems so strange to me. I mean, what else would I hand my cleaning lady besides for cleaning agents and laundry to wash or fold?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 1:47 pm
Don't you have to actually hand the clothes to the elf, meaning it can still do your laundry on its own?

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Ive always thought that introducing the concept of time travel was the biggest mistake JK Rowling could’ve possibly made. It invalidates every single thing that happened, because it all could’ve possibly been changed.

This is hilarious, and addresses the time travel point.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:42 pm
Also, in book 1- Hagrid tells Harry that James was once Head Boy at Hogwarts.
We learn more about him later on in the series-- but what qualities would have possibly made him suitaable to be Head Boy? He was arrogant, a prankster, no star academically...

So I'm pretty convinced that was something written at the begining, but as the story developed, it made absolutely no sense.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:48 pm
singleagain wrote:

Haha love this!

I’m fuzzy on the details but it bothered me that Hermione was not able to get as many OWLs as Percy did. (Maybe 50?)

Also, why do the other houses not revolt when Gryffendor consistently wins the house cup on the last day of the year? “Neville, you stood up to your friends! 50 points to Gryffendor!”

Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytheryn: ...

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 9:37 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Haha love this!

I’m fuzzy on the details but it bothered me that Hermione was not able to get as many OWLs as Percy did. (Maybe 50?)

Also, why do the other houses not revolt when Gryffendor consistently wins the house cup on the last day of the year? “Neville, you stood up to your friends! 50 points to Gryffendor!”

Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytheryn: ...

Hermione dropped a few classes. She dropped muggle studies and divination in her third year. You can't take an OWL if you don't take the class

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:14 pm
singleagain wrote:
Hermione dropped a few classes. She dropped muggle studies and divination in her third year. You can't take an OWL if you don't take the class

I know. But this means Percy was able to take every single class (time-turner?) without snapping while Hermione couldn’t keep up and I was rooting for her to be the top Smile

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:22 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I know. But this means Percy was able to take every single class (time-turner?) without snapping while Hermione couldn’t keep up and I was rooting for her to be the top Smile

Well.. Now I'm confused. Bc I don't remember what the deal was... Been a while since I've reread... I feel like we'd all have better luck asking the nine year olds who have recently read it over again 😂 🤣

any

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:47 pm
tigerwife wrote:
There is an incredibly powerful time-changing tool called the time-turner and it is used exclusively to help an over-ambitious 13-year-old get to extra classes.
omg I think about that too!
Like why they didn’t use it for other things?

mommy2x

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 11:22 pm
I can't believe that noone here mentions what to me is the most confusing part of the series! The concept of memories! In a memory, the person who is remembering is viewing it from their point of view. What you remember is how you viewed a situation. You place judgment on that memory- you are not impartial to it. We see throughout the memories shown of voldemort that Dumbledore remembers things exactly as they were, trials as they were etc but was viewing them exactly as they happened, not how a person thinks it happened. There is no point of view- It is just viewing a scene. People don't remember things like that. They remember things angled in a way that they saw it happen and don't pay attention to things that aren't meaningful to them. Make sense a bit?
So how does Slughorn remember himself sitting like a king eating pineapple, unless, that is how he views himself?
And the ministry wizard happens to remember the entire scene by the gaunts, including the sentences in parseltongue? He should've remembered hissing or gibberish but not the exact notes and pitches of the hissing, allowing Harry to understand him many years later! The ministry official made no sense of it, therefore, how can he remember it?
There as re more examples of this issue, I just can't remember them on the top of my head.
Also, how can Harry follow his father and his friends outside after their owl exam "as long as he still saw Snape" but hear the full conversation that they were having, even though Snape never saw or heard any of that. He was too far away! So how can Snape remember it and allow Harry to access it?
Also, on the topic of memories, it really surprised me that Harry saw his grandparents on platform 9 and 3/4s with lily and tuny and doesn't think anything to himself like "omg those are my grandparents" or "omg that's my aunt petunia, no wonder she is so bitter". In the chamber of secrets, Harry was so excited to see them and when Harry saw his father and his friends he was so excited to see all of them. Here, he saw so many new people and he doesn't seem to bat an eyelash.
Just a random thought
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics