Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Want to get out of Brooklyn, where to go?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:06 pm
I need to get out of Brooklyn. To where, I am not sure. What we need: detached house, private driveway, and 4 bedrooms, for sure.
In terms of what we are like, DH has never found his place here. We are not cool people, rather plain-Jane like, but not nerdy, forgive the expression. I'm a long skirt/snood type of gal, DH is white shirt /black pants, hat on shabbas, and for minyan. He's not part of the tight pants club or the gelled hair mens club. Everyone is running to Jackson and Toms river, I will not go to a place that does not allow me to pick my children's schools like a normal person, rather giving the power to others to decide. By nature, we are more introverted, like our space, cannot stand it when the whole neighborhood is running all over our property, going into our backyard, running in our grass, if you get the picture. Though by no means am I a loner. I like people, as long as they dont turn my property into a bungalow colony like setting. I'm sick of people blocking my private driveway, and having to fight with them.

Hashkafically, no tv, we use filtered internet, girls are BY type, boys beis medrash type. DH would love to be able to find a connection to a warm Rav as well. We have to be near the tri state area for DH's work. DDs need girls their own age as well to play with after school, shabbas, etc. We dress our kids nicely, but are not into brand labels, like 400 dollar coats, even though we bh can afford it.

Any suggestions?

Ty

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:11 pm
Inwood
Cedarhurst
I live in the 5towns. Happy with the schools here.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:11 pm
Came to look for such a thread because Brooklyn is ridiculous. Sorry 😞 no ideas
Maybe bayswater

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:12 pm
Maybe new city. (It's monsey area)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:15 pm
[quote="amother [ Seagreen ]"]Inwood
Cedarhurst
I live in the 5towns. Happy with the schools here.[/quote

Forgive my ignorance, isn't Cedarhurst a bit on the jappy side? I'm sorry, I don't mean to stereotype, I'm just trying to explain

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:20 pm
I live in far rockaway and it fits a lot of what you are looking for.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:22 pm
So the 5towns in general Does have that vibe/reputation But there are really every type here.
I wear long skirts and snoods. Yes some of my neighbors wouldn't and may consider me a nerd
But I have friends that are chilled here.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:23 pm
The only reason why I didn't suggest far rockaway is because hard to find a house there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I live in far rockaway and it fits a lot of what you are looking for.

How much are such houses there, and in what condition are they? I'm not looking to gut a house, don't need a fancy house either. Just good condition

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Maybe new city. (It's monsey area)

I am in new city. Sounds right up your alley. Mix of types here. No pressure. Nice community.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:25 pm
I left the five towns/ far rockaway community because it was too much for me. You sound very similar to me and I did not like living there. It's also expensive, the houses, the stores etcc.. We did move to lakewood area and we did get into the schools we wanted and I love it here. I searched high and low I also wanted to avoid the school situation but we just felt it was the best for every other reason.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:27 pm
Far rockaway 4 bedroom
House n good location
Is in the 900s on Zillow

Think you should research new city

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:27 pm
Chestnut Ridge

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:33 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I left the five towns/ far rockaway community because it was too much for me. You sound very similar to me and I did not like living there. It's also expensive, the houses, the stores etcc.. We did move to lakewood area and we did get into the schools we wanted and I love it here. I searched high and low I also wanted to avoid the school situation but we just felt it was the best for every other reason.

Can I ask which area of Lakewood? I would describe myself similar to the OP but have been hearing that Lakewood is getting similar to Brooklyn in the aspects she's describing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Can I ask which area of Lakewood? I would describe myself similar to the OP but have been hearing that Lakewood is getting similar to Brooklyn in the aspects she's describing

I don't know lakewood well at all, so forgive me. ..
I envision lakewood to be one huge traffic nightmare like boro park. Over populated. Kids everywhere, everyone in everyone else's business, super yeshivish. I can't deal with any of that. At all.

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:39 pm
Baltimore would be ideal if DH could make his job work. Otherwise, Edison and Passaic would both be great options, and Waterbury is worth looking into as well.

Maryann

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:40 pm
Where is new city?

blueberry6

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know lakewood well at all, so forgive me. ..
I envision lakewood to be one huge traffic nightmare like boro park. Over populated. Kids everywhere, everyone in everyone else's business, super yeshivish. I can't deal with any of that. At all.

Central Lakewood may be like that, but once you're not living a little farther from the center of town, or even in Jackson or Toms River, I think things are a lot more chilled.
I agree with some of the above posters that you might want to look into the Monsey area. My in-laws live in Chestnut Ridge and the community sounds a lot like what you're looking for.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:45 pm
Also, I'm not exactly a spring chicken, not interested in being with 25 year olds and a bunch of babies and toddlers all over the place. I apologize if I sound like a grumpy old lady, these lockdowns have gotten to me and I think I have officially become claustrophobic and allergic to noise.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:48 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
Central Lakewood may be like that, but once you're not living a little farther from the center of town, or even in Jackson or Toms River, I think things are a lot more chilled.
I agree with some of the above posters that you might want to look into the Monsey area. My in-laws live in Chestnut Ridge and the community sounds a lot like what you're looking for.

So there isn't constant traffic of cars and people all over the place?

The school situation isn't a total epic disaster?

I can use Internet and not feel like we are looked down upon?

I don't want to live under rules and feeling like we are being preached to. It's really not like that there?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating