Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergist or gastroenterologist for food issues

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:07 am
We’ve been seeing a gastroenterologist for dd’s IBS and getting nowhere.
He now wants her to eliminate almost everything she eats from her diet
She’s dealing with stomach cramping, stomach pain, diarrhea and it’s caused by something she’s eating (or maybe a few different things she’s eating).
Aside for medication, the gastroenterologist hasn’t really helped. It’s been 2 years.
Would an allergist be able to figure out which foods trigger a reaction? Why didn’t my pediatrician tell me to see an allergist?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:15 am
In my case-with DH, it's because he isn't truly allergic. It's many food sensitivities that are causing this. We were also recommended by many to do an elimination diet. It was really difficult, but did help. I'm in the process of trying to find someone to help with the lingering symptoms, but eliminating gluten, dairy, eggs, and yeast for example (among other things) were very helpful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
In my case-with DH, it's because he isn't truly allergic. It's many food sensitivities that are causing this. We were also recommended by many to do an elimination diet. It was really difficult, but did help. I'm in the process of trying to find someone to help with the lingering symptoms, but eliminating gluten, dairy, eggs, and yeast for example (among other things) were very helpful.

We were told to eliminate wheat, fructose, onion, garlic and dairy.
This child already doesn’t eat meat, chicken and fish so we basically need to eliminate the rest of the food she does eat. There’s a small list of food that is allowed but I think it’s just too hard for a pre teen. It takes a lot of responsibility and maturity to stick with it.
I was hoping an allergist can test for the problematic foods.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:30 am
It’s a sensitivity, not an immune response from a true allergy, so allergy testing won’t help. I personally never had luck with eliminating foods. Was she ever given rifaximin for SIBO? Or prescription digestive enzymes?

ddmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:51 am
I don't think it would be too much to check in with allergist at this point, to at least rule out any allergies!!!
But if it's just sentivity it won't come up in the testing!
If you have insurance, you have nothing to lose!!!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:51 am
I don't have personal experience with her, but have heard she has helped a lot of people:

thegutdietitian.com

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:54 am
ddmom wrote:
I don't think it would be too much to check in with allergist at this point, to at least rule out any allergies!!!
But if it's just sentivity it won't come up in the testing!
If you have insurance, you have nothing to lose!!!

I agree, you might as well try an allergist

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:01 am
I've heard great things about tamar Feldman, thegutdietitian.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics