Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tsh level child

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:04 pm
My 8yo dd just got bloodwork back and her tsh level is 6.74 her free t4 is normal.. waiting to hear back from dr but today is her day off so won’t hear until at least tomo so wondering if anyone has experience with this and if they treat it at that level? Thx!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:10 pm
Did they check for thyroid antibodies? That’s the more important factor here. And also if she is having symptoms of being hypothyroid.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:36 pm
No they didn’t check.. hard to pinpoint if symptoms of thyroid or other causes.. thx for your reply

anonymrs

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:20 pm
What symptoms is she experiencing? Was free t3 tested? Must have that done as well as antibodies to get a full picture. Reverse t3 should ideally be done too.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:21 pm
Paging @PinkFridge... Smile Our resident thyroid expert

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:24 pm
I'm the OP on this thread. upcoming apt with a ped. endocrinologist so I'll try to update.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....07370

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Paging @PinkFridge... Smile Our resident thyroid expert

anonymrs really knows her stuff. I know ABCs. She starts where my eyes start to glaze over.

OP, I don't know about pediatric TSH ranges. I know for an adult it would be hypo. Question: where within the range was the T4? Rock bottom? And T3 is really important to test. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And any disconcerting symptoms?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
anonymrs really knows her stuff. I know ABCs. She starts where my eyes start to glaze over.

OP, I don't know about pediatric TSH ranges. I know for an adult it would be hypo. Question: where within the range was the T4? Rock bottom? And T3 is really important to test. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

got the labslip for my sons apt, testing thyroglobulin Ab, TPO antibodies and T4 free, and TSH. he didnt check of T3... why do you say T3 is important to test? it looks like its related to Hyper, not Hypo which is what OP (and I) are potentially looking at... thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
got the labslip for my sons apt, testing thyroglobulin Ab, TPO antibodies and T4 free, and TSH. he didnt check of T3... why do you say T3 is important to test? it looks like its related to Hyper, not Hypo which is what OP (and I) are potentially looking at... thanks!

The thyroid needs T3 and T4 and gets T3 by T4 converting some of itself to T3. If a thyroid's kaput, it might selflessly still produce T3 but not T4. OR it might not produce T3 at all and then a person really needs more replacement.

Re hyper, yes, T3 is an important piece of the puzzle. The flip side in an overactive thyroid is that the thryoid will have more T4 than it needs, and produce prodigious amounts of T3. BUT thyroid suppressant, which is the best treatment for hyper, addresses both hormones. HypO people sometimes needs supplemental T3 too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:22 am
Yes t4 bottom of normal 11.26 when lowest normal is 11. She is tired but probably doesn’t sleep enough and is a bit on the anxious side compared to my other kids but could just be her personality 🤷‍♀️ still waiting to hear back from her dr..

PinkFridge wrote:

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
The thyroid needs T3 and T4 and gets T3 by T4 converting some of itself to T3. If a thyroid's kaput, it might selflessly still produce T3 but not T4. OR it might not produce T3 at all and then a person really needs more replacement.

Re hyper, yes, T3 is an important piece of the puzzle. The flip side in an overactive thyroid is that the thryoid will have more T4 than it needs, and produce prodigious amounts of T3. BUT thyroid suppressant, which is the best treatment for hyper, addresses both hormones. HypO people sometimes needs supplemental T3 too.

Thanks! I posted on my older thread that in the meantime, I looked at one of my other kids labs, his T3, T4 and TSH are all normal but his Thyroglobulin Antibody is marked High at 1.6. (his Thyroid Peroxidase is normal). Is that something that needs attention too?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Thanks! I posted on my older thread that in the meantime, I looked at one of my other kids labs, his T3, T4 and TSH are all normal but his Thyroglobulin Antibody is marked High at 1.6. (his Thyroid Peroxidase is normal). Is that something that needs attention too?

I don't know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics