Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
OT Salary

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:30 pm
Hi all,
I am an OT student and wondering what salary I can expect starting out, in the tristate area. Right now, I am open to working in different settings because I liked all my fw placements.
Also, how are job opportunities?
Getting a little nervous because spoke to a friend who is an OT in an out of town community and she told me she's telling people not to go into the field due to lack of jobs.
Any information would be appreciated!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:44 pm
In the NY 5 borough city area you can expect a salary of 65k and up with benefits for school based hours. The Doe is highest paying salary. For contract work anywhere starting 70 and up pretaxes an hour, but you may not get full
right away and over yt, summer and absences and vacation days you want to take it doesnt come out to such a great salary.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:48 pm
True that oot it can be really hard, I'm having the same experience. I'm a little disillusioned since I put a huge amount of resources into starting my career not knowing that once I left the tristate area it would be a completely different playing field. Sorry, I don't have info on tristate options these days, but my understanding is that you have many more lucrative options there.

rikkik

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:20 pm
Even in NY, it's hard to work as an OT in skilled nursing facilities, since most of them have transitioned to hiring many COTA's, since it's cheaper, and retaining only a few OT's to complete evaluations, sign off on papers, etc. That is extremely not enjoyable- since the thing I loved most about working with adults was developing a relationship with my patients, and treating them through their recovery.
I work with children. I don't get benefits. BOE is a good option, but then you are locked into their hours, so it has to work with your husbands morning schedule, plus you will be working Friday afternoons (usually same for SNF).
I know that NY has great re-reimbursement for children's OT services, which is not the case OOT. Perhaps if you build up your reputation, you can open a private practice.
All that being said, it is an enjoyable job, it allows for creativity, and I love it.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all,
I am an OT student and wondering what salary I can expect starting out, in the tristate area. Right now, I am open to working in different settings because I liked all my fw placements.
Also, how are job opportunities?
Getting a little nervous because spoke to a friend who is an OT in an out of town community and she told me she's telling people not to go into the field due to lack of jobs.
Any information would be appreciated!

SNF starting salary is just under 70,000. There are many pediatric school based jobs available if you work for an agency/contract-only down side is no benefits usually
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics