Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is it a thing...
Previous  1  2

little neshamala

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I think OP is asking a very valid question. I have neighbors who do this but instead of being bothered by it I actually felt bad for them. Nebach that some people need to show off their chandeliers to have oneg Shabbos. I prefer to keep my life private.

This is so rude.
If im your neighbor, you have misunderstood the reason for me opening my blinds (see my previous post).
Why would you decide im showing off??

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:41 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Also OP, every day, people’s DR lights are closed, so if the shades are up, you don’t see it so much if you’re passing.

Friday afternoon is one time when ALL my lights are open at 6 pm, so if the shades are still up, it’s extremely noticeable to passing people.

I totally agree with this!!
My shades are open until dark (or when I remember to close them) bit during the week my lights aren’t on so you wouldn’t realize it as much. Friday all the lights are on so you see in clearly until someone remembers to close the shades

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:03 pm
little neshamala wrote:
This is so rude.
If im your neighbor, you have misunderstood the reason for me opening my blinds (see my previous post).
Why would you decide im showing off??

I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I'm 100% not saying everyone is doing this but some people are. There are different types of neighbors.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:06 pm
I would assume that people open the blinds as a safety measure, to keep the fabric away from the flames.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:26 pm
Never seen this as a "thing". Shabbos candles aren't chanuka licht and there's no inyan of pirsumei denisa. Most NewYorkers I know close their blinds as soon as it gets dark, esp. if their windows are near street level. In the burbs maybe people leave their shades up because they don't care if people look in. To the ima who posted it's for tznius, yes, if by tznius you mean "caring about privacy." It has nothing to do with modesty unless you're planning to "slip into something more comfortable" or indulge in some loveplay with your spouse.

I recently read an article by a woman who was not Jewish who used to walk by the house of someone who may or may not have been a Chabad shlucha who would deliberately leave her windows exposed so outsiders could see her Shabbos home. The writer was so impressed and enchanted with the life she saw inside that she introduced herself to the baleboste, one thing led to another and the woman eventually converted.

Charming tale, but you'd never catch me doing something like that. If I want people in the dark to watch me in the light, I'll join a theater troupe. The last thing I want is people spying on my family as we go about living our life. In fact, I try to stay out of the room where we light our Chanuka licht until the candles are out and I can pull down the shades.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I would assume that people open the blinds as a safety measure, to keep the fabric away from the flames.

Do most people light their Shabbos licht on the windowsill?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Maybe like the neis of Chanukah.
We want to show the miracle that we “ made it” in time for candlelight.
Rolling Laughter

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:52 pm
zaq wrote:
Do most people light their Shabbos licht on the windowsill?

No idea. I don't, but it might explain what OP is seeing.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:56 pm
the front of my house is my bedroom. Is it ok to show it off on Friday nights? lol
seriously speaking. I open my shades in the morning to get some light into my small Brooklyn almost no windows home. and close it when its dark out. sometimes I forget till later bec. I'm busy. it is only on Friday night that I feel conscious about the privacy shades being up. bec. everyone else's homes are lit.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries