Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
School socialworkers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:55 pm
Are school social workers effective?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:00 pm
Can you be more specific in your question? Not sure what you’re asking.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:15 pm
We've been through a lot of them with my kids. I'd definitely say there are some good and some not... Totally depends on who it is. Maybe ask others who have experience with this particular therapist?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:20 pm
Smart child. Dc has friends, school suggesting dc go out for social help. A slot became available teacher noticed dc has anger issues reacts strongly?
Dc can occasionally also have anger issues but doesn't happen often. I know it happens when dc gets very aggravate about something that seems like an injustice happened? Teacher says given that accedemicaly on the top of the class. Going out won't bother hurt him? Thoughts?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:22 pm
As a school social worker I may be biased but the students I work with seem to enjoy it and gain.

Happy to answer questions if you have any.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:25 pm
Sometimes kids react differently in school and at home. It sounds like he can use help with emotional regulation. What's your hesitation?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Sometimes kids react differently in school and at home. It sounds like he can use help with emotional regulation. What's your hesitation?

That I should look into a thereapist and spend my time driving my kid to a therapist each week. Which could be a hassle but I would know my child is gaining. If the child really needs it, a school social worker?

paperflowers

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:52 pm
If he’s having issues in school that you don’t see much at home, it makes sense to start with a school social worker. If you don’t see progress, look for an outside therapist.

If you’re concerned about him missing class time, some kids love getting pulled out and it sounds like his teacher isn’t concerned that missing 1/2 hour of class once a week will negatively impact his academic functioning.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That I should look into a thereapist and spend my time driving my kid to a therapist each week. Which could be a hassle but I would know my child is gaining. If the child really needs it, a school social worker?

Not sure I understand. You asked about a school social worker. If there's a school social worker available why would you be driving anywhere?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:07 pm
Why don’t you find out who the school social worker is and maybe even go meet her?

Also, just wanted to let you know, this of course depends on the worker, but I don’t hesitate to refer clients further if I feel the issues aren’t properly addressed in the school setting. For example if the child is resistant to treatment in school or if the issues are severe etc.

School based therapy can be an excellent option because it’s less of a stressor for the parents and the child.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:20 pm
I know the social worker from my childhood friends neighborhood . I feel once I start I'm not going to feel comfortable complaining if it doesn't work out

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know the social worker from my childhood friends neighborhood . I feel once I start I'm not going to feel comfortable complaining if it doesn't work out

You can always blame it on the school factor- its not working out and you want him to see someone out of school.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:40 pm
It depends on how bad the problem is and how much it relates to school. Sometimes the school social worker can figure things out better from being onsite. On the other hand, they may hesitate because they are an employee.
If you know her, do you trust her? Will she be open with you or a diplomat? Is she experienced?

If this is new behavior, is child stressed about something?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:43 pm
Your mileage may vary but I have seen some great school social workers and some great progress with kids. However even with a great social worker it depends what the issue and goals are. The school setup lends itself to social issues and other short-term targets. A kid who has deeper problems might benefit more from a family-based setup.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:50 pm
Do homework on this particular social
Worker. Is he new or experienced? How long has he been practicing? What’s his specialty
Lots of interns are placed in school. They may be good but are not experienced. If it’s a little issue it may be ok

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think every therapist understands that it needs to be a shidduch and it's not personal if it doesn't work out. It's not super comfortable but it won't cause any long term damage to your relationship or interfere with the effectiveness of therapy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics