Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Want to get out of Brooklyn, where to go?
Previous  1  2  3

studying_torah

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:12 am
There are some updated homes (obviously cost more); clifton has some newer homes than passaic.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:08 am
Another vote for the five towns. I moved here from brooklyn 3 years ago and am extremely happy. We have a very bad reputation as being wealthy materialistic modern etc but there are plenty low key people here too. I would look into Bayswater Inwood and parts of Cedarhurst or Woodmere. I would say a three bedroom house in decent condition will start at 600k. The schools here are amazing and there is a lot overlap among the three BY schools. If the school you want does not have room you will be just fine in a different school. It is very live and let live here. You are not forced in a "box.

If you have high school age kids that want to keep their schools that won't be a problem. There are vans of kids going every day to various Brooklyn schools. There are also plenty of people commuting daily to work in Brooklyn.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Wesley is becoming more chassidish, and while I think they are a wonderful bunch, if that's not what OP is looking for, make sure to keep an open eye on specific neighborhoods in Wesley.

Wesley isn't becoming more chassidish at all. Maybe Forshay area, but not Wesley.

jake

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:08 pm
Another vote for Passaic, you would fit in well. I would describe my family, almost exactly as you did yours.

In terms of housing, full disclosure, I am a RE Agent, yes, houses, especially the older cheaper larger homes, generally need to be gutted. However, there are always homes that come on the market, where the previous owner has already done a beautiful job renovating.

Monsey also has some great low key areas.

Have a friend in Edison who loves it. Does not have as much a "Yeshivish" population as Passaic/Clifton, but very nice OOT type crowd. Homes, as in Monsey are generally much newer, nicer, and the lots (yard) are larger than in Passaic/Clifton.

I would advise you, and not just b/c I am an agent, to speak with Real Estate Agents in any area you are considering. Most agents are very familiar with the different neighborhoods in each city. A good agent will take the time to speak with you, and find the right "fit" for your needs and wants. The "buyer" does not pay any fees, so this is at no charge for you, and can be very valuable advice.

Hatzlacha with your search for a new home.

wiki

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:16 pm
If you're allergic to the idea of the Five Towns, you'd also find what you want in some parts of West Hempstead.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:18 pm
How far away would you feel comfortable moving? There are many nice OOT communities. Is that an option for you or do you need to be near new york for family/jobs?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:49 pm
Inwood or North Lawrence in the Five Towns in NY
Outside of NY I would recommend Cleveland, Ohio or Detroit

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Inwood
Cedarhurst
I live in the 5towns. Happy with the schools here.

Ummm- I live In the five towns and the kids are wearing $1000 coats. Not a reason to come here. You need more out of town like clifton or Monsey

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:56 pm
Wow, I'm impressed that we've made it this far and nobody has suggested South Bend lol.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:04 pm
I think certain areas of Jackson would be good. Schools are a problem. Maybe work on the school situation first.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need to get out of Brooklyn. To where, I am not sure. What we need: detached house, private driveway, and 4 bedrooms, for sure.
In terms of what we are like, DH has never found his place here. We are not cool people, rather plain-Jane like, but not nerdy, forgive the expression. I'm a long skirt/snood type of gal, DH is white shirt /black pants, hat on shabbas, and for minyan. He's not part of the tight pants club or the gelled hair mens club. Everyone is running to Jackson and Toms river, I will not go to a place that does not allow me to pick my children's schools like a normal person, rather giving the power to others to decide. By nature, we are more introverted, like our space, cannot stand it when the whole neighborhood is running all over our property, going into our backyard, running in our grass, if you get the picture. Though by no means am I a loner. I like people, as long as they dont turn my property into a bungalow colony like setting. I'm sick of people blocking my private driveway, and having to fight with them.

Hashkafically, no tv, we use filtered internet, girls are BY type, boys beis medrash type. DH would love to be able to find a connection to a warm Rav as well. We have to be near the tri state area for DH's work. DDs need girls their own age as well to play with after school, shabbas, etc. We dress our kids nicely, but are not into brand labels, like 400 dollar coats, even though we bh can afford it.

Any suggestions?

Ty

Staten Island is an option. Kids can still go to school in Brooklyn if you want. Its close enough and some schools have bussing back and forth

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Staten Island is an option. Kids can still go to school in Brooklyn if you want. Its close enough and some schools have bussing back and forth

It’s close but with traffic it’s very far and annoying
Also there is a toll to get to Brooklyn

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:15 pm
The Staten Island of 20+ years ago could have been a nice fit for you. Lately though it's becoming more and more chasidish, which is also driving up prices. You could look into the Niles Place shul and RJJ school and will likely find some like-minded families, but the future of the community there is trending away from what you're looking for.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:24 pm
doctorima wrote:
The Staten Island of 20+ years ago could have been a nice fit for you. Lately though it's becoming more and more chasidish, which is also driving up prices. You could look into the Niles Place shul and RJJ school and will likely find some like-minded families, but the future of the community there is trending away from what you're looking for.

Also houses are quite old

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:25 pm
Airmont, chestnut ridge, haverstraw...greater monsey area.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:22 am
Fabulous wrote:
I think certain areas of Jackson would be good. Schools are a problem. Maybe work on the school situation first.

Agreed that Jackson has a nice crowd, but as I wrote earlier, the school situation is not what OP is looking for. I’ve lived here all my life so I’m used to it, but for someone coming from somewhere else, it’s really a crazy thing to deal with.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:10 am
I forgot to mention New Hempstead (monsey) too.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating