Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
At what age are you too old to keep up with styles?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:39 pm
I’m not yet 40 but for the last 5 years I cringe at the stuff that’s in style now. These are the styles that were considered soo nerdy when I was a child. I can’t bring myself to wear anything like that.
Can I just say that I’m done with fashion and stick to classics?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:44 pm
Of course! Classic, well fitting and put together is always “in” as long as classic doesn’t mean an old pimpled sweater that you bought 8 years ago and washed 5000 times

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:53 pm
Classic is always in!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:56 pm
But I don’t want to be that classy old lady just yet!
I’ve always been a classic but trendy with it dresser. Now I feel like I can’t be trendy anymore and it’s making me feel old. TMI
Anyone get me?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:00 pm
You can be stylish and wear amazing clothes without chasing trends. There are options for people who eschew plaids, puffy sleeves, matching knits or white booties.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:00 pm
Omg I totally get it!
When I see the horrific 80s styles that are considered trendy now im like I think I will just have to be considered old and not follow the trends anymore.
Brown and beige plaid shirt dresses ? Gag. Those yoke style skirts we all wore in the 90s and were considered so awful in 2000..how are they back in?
And the flowery and plaid fabrics....

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve always been a classic but trendy with it dresser. Now I feel like I can’t be trendy anymore and it’s making me feel old. TMI
Anyone get me?

There are trends that are currently in but not too out there. Ribbed anything is still in. Texture. A casual blazer. Decorative buttons on skirts.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:19 pm
Same- I can't believe what I'm seeing in the stores! I used to wear that in the 90s. I can't bring myself to buy these things for my daughters. Having a hard time finding shabbos clothes for them.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone get me?

YES!!!! I was just thinking this exact thing yesterday!
I'm 35 and I need new clothing but I realized the things I like and think are flattering probably aren't in style anymore. So I went online to look around and see what is in style these days and I realized I have NO idea what is "cool" right now. So it all got overwhelming and I decided to just stick with what I like. And then it hit me that I'm officially finally that old that I don't care anymore. And that made me really sad actually (I have a huge fear of getting old and of death so this really kind of triggered that anxiety but that's a whole different topic....).

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:30 pm
Well the styles going back some I can’t even have my daughter wear cause I cringe!! But for myself I wear trendy in style but I make sure my daughter can’t wear what I’m wearing I hate moms that look like they are competing with there teen girls. There are so many stylish dresses and stuff out there for the 35/40 age group

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Well the styles going back some I can’t even have my daughter wear cause I cringe!! But for myself I wear trendy in style but I make sure my daughter can’t wear what I’m wearing I hate moms that look like they are competing with there teen girls. There are so many stylish dresses and stuff out there for the 35/40 age group

Moms that dress trendy are not competing with their teenage daughters. Everyone has different tastes and as long as it's Tznius they can wear whatever they like.
I happen to go for the classy look and am in my 30s but I love seeing fellow mothers taking care of themselves and feeling good about themselves, whether they're trendy or classy or simple.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Moms that dress trendy are not competing with their teenage daughters. Everyone has different tastes and as long as it's Tznius they can wear whatever they like.
I happen to go for the classy look and am in my 30s but I love seeing fellow mothers taking care of themselves and feeling good about themselves, whether they're trendy or classy or simple.

I said I wear trendy but I make sure it’s not something my teenager can wear

First Lady

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:15 pm
There is no age range. It's matter of taste. I think many women in this age group just don't like what they're seeing because they wore it as children. Or some women in this age group have shifted focus to other things or put this on a back burner and just happy they had a minute to get a new item for themselves without having time to look around.
But we don't limit anyone by size, age. IQ. Everybody is entitled to their taste.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone get me?

You don't have to be!
Just look out for the pieces that you gravitate towards. You can be stylish and on trend and still be true to yourself. No need to be a slave to trends that don't suit you.
If the style is longline cardigans, and if you happen to find one in a texture, style and color that you'd stop to look at- go ahead, try it on and see if it's flattering. But don't wear one just because it's trending.
Wear well cut pieces, in colors that flatter your skin tone, add a trendy belt, or scarf, bag, shoes, earrings... and feel great!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:23 am
When styles no longer interest/appeal to you, you don't have to keep up with them. For some women that's age twenty, for others its fifty, and some might still be following the latest trends when they're ninety.

If the current fashion matches my personal tastes and suits me, I buy fashionable clothes. If I don't like it, I stick with the options in my wardrobe, and add a couple of classic pieces. As long as you look and feel good (and your teenage daughters aren't too critical), that is all that really matters.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:29 am
I think one sign of being a self-confident women is not being a slave to fashion.

If a particular trend is unflattering or not to your taste, there is no reason to wear it.

That is true at any age.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:39 am
Classic and well made clothing is always in style. If you find one trendy piece of clothing, find a way to work it into your current wardrobe to freshen things up. Even if it's a statement necklace or a new color combination. If you just really hate this season's fashion, then be confident in what you have!

I was taught that if you can remember when something was in fashion, then DON'T wear it when it comes back into fashion!

I absolutely loved the 80's. I was a teen, and the looks were young, fresh, and visually striking. It was the era of MTV and European pop music. The vibe was fun and optimistic.

Would I wear it now? I'm 55, I'd look like a clown!

Honestly, it's a relief to feel like I don't need to keep up with what is hip and trendy. I buy what I like, and replace what gets worn out. I intensely dislike "fast fashion", and would rather have one cashmere sweater, than 6 ugly acrylic ones.

If your clothing is well tailored and suits your figure, you will always look put together, no matter what you wear. You're better off getting to know a good seamstress, than to have a big wardrobe of things that are "close, but not exactly right."

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:52 am
A further thought while I was out walking this morning. Children and teenagers are growing and need new clothes that fit them every year or two. In some ways this makes them a slave to fashion, because they have to buy what is in the shops.

Adults have basically the same figure from one year to the next (excluding pregnancy and other weight gain). Most good quality clothes last a few years, which allows an adult to be independent of the dictates of fashion, and develop their own style of clothes that truly suit them and allow for expression of their own personality.

It's not a case of being too old to keep up with fashion trends. It's a case of bring old enough to decide independently what you want to wear.

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:08 am
I happen to like what's in style now. Very tznius pleated midi skirts, and loose sweaters. I like the muted fall colors that I haven't seen in a while as well.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:31 am
Elfrida wrote:
A further thought while I was out walking this morning. Children and teenagers are growing and need new clothes that fit them every year or two. In some ways this makes them a slave to fashion, because they have to buy what is in the shops.

Adults have basically the same figure from one year to the next (excluding pregnancy and other weight gain). Most good quality clothes last a few years, which allows an adult to be independent of the dictates of fashion, and develop their own style of clothes that truly suit them and allow for expression of their own personality.

It's not a case of being too old to keep up with fashion trends. It's a case of bring old enough to decide independently what you want to wear.

I agree with your thesis with the caveat that I think that women's figures do change regardless of pregnancy or other weight gain. Not every year - but maybe every decade or so. There are changes in the breasts, hips, stomach that have to do with shifting hormones and fat redistribution. So, for example, even if you stay the same weight, something that will look good on you in your thirties might not look good anymore in your forties. The changes might be subtle but they often require you to buy new clothes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics