Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I feel bad for the non-Jews
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:15 pm
It doesn't look like they will have much of a holiday season. Jewish schools will have Chanukah break and winter break and people may not be able to travel but in many communities, our Yom Tovim were still reasonably nice, despite all of the people who got coronavirus but now there are lots of travel restrictions that didn't affect our holidays as much as it will affect theirs. Our holidays had good weather for being outside but theirs won't unless maybe they live in Florida. Their economy will be much more adversely affected than ours was.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:25 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It doesn't look like they will have much of a holiday season. Jewish schools will have Chanukah break and winter break and people may not be able to travel but in many communities, our Yom Tovim were still reasonably nice, despite all of the people who got coronavirus but now there are lots of travel restrictions that didn't affect our holidays as much as it will affect theirs. Our holidays had good weather for being outside but theirs won't unless maybe they live in Florida. Their economy will be much more adversely affected than ours was.

If they are responsible people maybe they don’t feel so bad about it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:35 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I thought we were promised a vaccine before next Tuesday.

In any case, their economy is our economy. We are all going to suffer from a weak holiday shopping season, which will hurt jobs and economic growth.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I think that there are lots of responsible people who will still miss being with family and all of the festivities. There is no guarantee that next year will be any better.

Then there are the irresponsible people who will spread coronavirus and feel guilty for the rest of their lives but it is a lot to tell people to live in isolation for possibly another year. We can still feel bad for them.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:36 pm

Responsible people still miss their holidays and celebrations. I miss going to shul. I missed Sukkot and Simchat Torah.

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:38 pm

If they are irresponsible they don’t feel bad. Life goes on as usual

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:40 pm

I once heard that there is a responsible mom, a great mom, somewhere out there, I think rural Kentucky, who loves her children but who misses her "me" time and her social life and feels sad and lonely from time to time. Gasp. Call CPS. Just tell them it's rural Kentucky, hopefully they'll find her.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:42 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I thought we were promised a vaccine before next Tuesday.

In any case, their economy is our economy. We are all going to suffer from a weak holiday shopping season, which will hurt jobs and economic growth.

They don't have storage for the vaccine even if it already exists.
I agree that it affects everyone but I live in Monsey where the frum community has lots of independent businesses that already had their major selling season but it could also be that non Jews would also buy those expensive kiddie togs for the holidays if they actually got to go somewhere. You are probably right that it will impact our community.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:47 pm
gold21 wrote:
I once heard that there is a responsible mom, a great mom, somewhere out there, I think rural Kentucky, who loves her children but who misses her "me" time and her social life and feels sad and lonely from time to time. Gasp. Call CPS. Just tell them it's rural Kentucky, hopefully they'll find her.

She lives in the Ozarks and all she wants for X-mas is her two front teeth but she can't afford a dentist. Going to the dentist would be really therapeutic for her. I am sure that CPS will identify her by those missing teeth but Planned Parenthood is also looking for her as is Adult Protective services and the domestic violence authorities.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:31 pm
The reason we had a good holiday season is because .... We might think we are social people but our primary need/desire/relationship is with HKBH and so even a chag alone may be disappointing but we find the comfort with H. This might exist for a small group of spiritually connected non jews but not the majority of secular world

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:45 pm
avrahamama wrote:
The reason we had a good holiday season is because .... We might think we are social people but our primary need/desire/relationship is with HKBH and so even a chag alone may be disappointing but we find the comfort with H. This might exist for a small group of spiritually connected non jews but not the majority of secular world

I have an enclosed porch and I was in isolation for the last days of Yom tov but I sat on the porch and davened. You are right that even when we are alone, we are not alone.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:49 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Uh, Pesach?
Not that I don't feel bad for them, I do. But we went through this. And even though things were a bit more normal, a LOT of families didn't get together for Succos. People were afraid to travel/afraid to have to quarantine their kids for two weeks due to school requirements/more.

And some shuls had very altered davening and hakafos.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:54 pm
Not a contest but gotta say many of us spent the last year yomim tovim all ALONE
While grateful to be happy and healthy
Guess they’ll figure it out

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
She lives in the Ozarks and all she wants for X-mas is her two front teeth but she can't afford a dentist. Going to the dentist would be really therapeutic for her. I am sure that CPS will identify her by those missing teeth but Planned Parenthood is also looking for her as is Adult Protective services and the domestic violence authorities.

Haha Very Happy so you know her, too! Nice lady, albeit a bit toothless. Cool

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Uh, Pesach?
Not that I don't feel bad for them, I do. But we went through this. And even though things were a bit more normal, a LOT of families didn't get together for Succos. People were afraid to travel/afraid to have to quarantine their kids for two weeks due to school requirements/more.

And some shuls had very altered davening and hakafos.

True, our Pesach was spent alone and the frum stores were forced to close. At that point, we didn't think that this pandemic would take years to get under control. We thought that in a few weeks it would all blow over but we had to stay home for Pesach meanwhile.
During the summer, things relaxed a bit because there were so few cases but I guess that many people built Succahs for the first time because they couldn't travel. Israel was in lockdown.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:25 am
Online shopping will be massive this year.
A UPS driver who brought me something in september told me that they have been working themselves to the bone non stop round the clock since March. It's been like one long pre-holiday season with no break.
My ebay/poshmark/mercari reselling has been incredibly busy since September. Had a dip in sales in March & April when everhyone was dealing with covid but in May and June my stuff was flying off the shelves. was quiet in the summer but since late August I've bh been non stop busy. I expect til December to be very busy and then ti'll be quiet again...

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:28 am
Don't think it will take years to get this virus under control. While not minimizing its seriousness I feel so much more optimistic based on all we have learned than we did back around Purim and Pesach. Things may look much better in a few months than predicted in this thread. One thing we have learned is to expect the unexpected. Hopefully good! Tracht gut veit zein gut.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:39 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Don't think it will take years to get this virus under control. While not minimizing its seriousness I feel so much more optimistic based on all we have learned than we did back around Purim and Pesach. Things may look much better in a few months than predicted in this thread. One thing we have learned is to expect the unexpected. Hopefully good! Tracht gut veit zein gut.

Wow, I hope that you are right. Some of the vaccine trials are not going as planned because the volunteers who get placebos realize it when they don't get sore arms so they wear masks and social distance and avoid the virus. The vaccine makers need to determine the level of effectiveness which doesn't happen when people are being careful not to catch the virus. It does show, however, that being careful is effective.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:42 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Online shopping will be massive this year.
A UPS driver who brought me something in september told me that they have been working themselves to the bone non stop round the clock since March. It's been like one long pre-holiday season with no break.
My ebay/poshmark/mercari reselling has been incredibly busy since September. Had a dip in sales in March & April when everhyone was dealing with covid but in May and June my stuff was flying off the shelves. was quiet in the summer but since late August I've bh been non stop busy. I expect til December to be very busy and then ti'll be quiet again...

People are also going to start hoarding shelf stable food again.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:41 am
southernbubby wrote:
People are also going to start hoarding shelf stable food again.

My old freezer died recently. I called a big appliance store to get a new one, and they said that 90% of their freezers were out of stock, and that new ones were not coming in. Not only that, the majority of their drivers were in bidud! I had to BEG to get a freezer delivered, but not before I lost all of my food.

The neighborhood cats are not picky about chicken and roast beef that has gone slightly off.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics