Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby crying for bottle- pick up baby or make bottle first?

What would you do?
Pick up baby and make the bottle one- handed, thus taking longer but baby calmer  
 29%  [ 15 ]
Make the bottle fast and then pick up baby once bottle is ready  
 70%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 51

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:14 pm
See poll.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:22 pm
I voted pick baby up right away, but it really depends on how desperately the baby is crying, my current crying tolerance, how well I feel baby is soothed by my voice, and my current capacity to do things one-handed.

There's no wrong answer here.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:24 pm
I’m not that comfortable making a bottle with a crying baby (I assume we are talking about a wriggly infant?) in my arms so I always make the bottle first. If it’s in middle of the night I also pee first because middle of the night feeds can take 45 minutes and I can’t hold it that long

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:25 pm
I make the bottle and then pick up baby. It takes 1/2 a minute to make a bottle.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:27 pm
I love this question and thought of it a lot when I found myself in those shoes! Baby screaming while I frantically prep the bottle. Screams getting louder while I shake shake shake the formula to mix even faster... I used to think that this is a great mashal of how Hashem is preparing our yeshuah but we don’t see it so we keep complaining. The help is so close, though it seems so far...

Fave

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:31 pm
I usually first soothe the baby by giving her a pacifier and tell her “mommy is making a bottle”.

Then I go ahead with making the bottle. I don’t pick up the baby - as I’m not that dexterous and I need both hands for bottle making.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:37 pm
Fave wrote:
I usually first soothe the baby by giving her a pacifier and tell her “mommy is making a bottle”.

Then I go ahead with making the bottle. I don’t pick up the baby - as I’m not that dexterous and I need both hands for bottle making.

I believe she’s talking about instances where baby won’t be soothed by anything other than a bottle.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:01 pm
Ideally, don't want until baby is screaming to prepare a feeding. There are usually earlier hunger cues, or baby is on a somewhat predictable feeding schedule. Otherwise, for sure I would pick up the baby first. I can't not respond to a screaming baby. A baby can be partially soothed by being held even if he keeps screaming for a bottle, and it's important to be responsive.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:04 pm
I always put a bit of hot water to bring the bottle up to the right temp and it's too dangerous to try and pour hot water when holding a baby. Also they never really calm down even when being held as they're too frantic for the bottle, so I may as well let them cry for that extra minute. Especially as it goes so much faster making a bottle with both hands, instead of it taking four times as long when trying to do it one handed.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:12 pm
If the baby is screeching already then usually holding won't help much, for the baby, but would get me more irritable and likely could would take longer to make than usual lol. So yea, I'll rather get that bottle done, takes a minute, and then pick up to give.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:14 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I love this question and thought of it a lot when I found myself in those shoes! Baby screaming while I frantically prep the bottle. Screams getting louder while I shake shake shake the formula to mix even faster... I used to think that this is a great mashal of how Hashem is preparing our yeshuah but we don’t see it so we keep complaining. The help is so close, though it seems so far...

I like your comparison.
Seems like our bottle is almost ready.. It definitely feels like He is mixing and shaking quick quick.

Just One

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:16 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Ideally, don't want until baby is screaming to prepare a feeding. There are usually earlier hunger cues, or baby is on a somewhat predictable feeding schedule. Otherwise, for sure I would pick up the baby first. I can't not respond to a screaming baby. A baby can be partially soothed by being held even if he keeps screaming for a bottle, and it's important to be responsive.

Attachment parenting at it's finest. You go girl!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:30 pm
Get DH to help. A sling could help.
I don’t like to leave a screaming baby if I could help it.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:30 pm
Up until now, my response was to pick up the baby at warp speed.

Now, I have two other young kids, and I'm often serving supper/dressing them etc. And I can't carry the baby on my arm safely for all that. So I've become more used to letting him cry for a minute while I finish up and make a bottle - though every second that he's crying puts me in major stress mode.

However: if he hears the sink turn on, he knows I'm coming and calms down. So there is some relief.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:41 pm
Rappel wrote:
Up until now, my response was to pick up the baby at warp speed.

Now, I have two other young kids, and I'm often serving supper/dressing them etc. And I can't carry the baby on my arm safely for all that. So I've become more used to letting him cry for a minute while I finish up and make a bottle - though every second that he's crying puts me in major stress mode.

However: if he hears the sink turn on, he knows I'm coming and calms down. So there is some relief.

My 6 week old gets quiet when he hears the Velcro of the bib opening in preparation to go on him

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My 6 week old gets quiet when he hears the Velcro of the bib opening in preparation to go on him

Exactly. I do think they learn these cues, and understand that there is a response to their needs, to add to what a previous poster mentioned about development.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I tell my baby shshhs mommy is bringing a bottle. As he's getting odler, he's queiting down more and more when I say this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics