Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I feel bad for the non-Jews
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:24 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Don't think it will take years to get this virus under control. While not minimizing its seriousness I feel so much more optimistic based on all we have learned than we did back around Purim and Pesach. Things may look much better in a few months than predicted in this thread. One thing we have learned is to expect the unexpected. Hopefully good! Tracht gut veit zein gut.

I'd feel more optimistic if the "we" in "we have learned" included more people. Platitudes and good thoughts may not be enough.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My old freezer died recently. I called a big appliance store to get a new one, and they said that 90% of their freezers were out of stock, and that new ones were not coming in. Not only that, the majority of their drivers were in bidud! I had to BEG to get a freezer delivered, but not before I lost all of my food.

The neighborhood cats are not picky about chicken and roast beef that has gone slightly off.

Oh Frummie, I am so sorry. People were having a hard time getting freezers here for awhile too but Bingo (Asher Ad for you) had them before the Yom Tovim. Some people had to pay to rent freezers. And you live in the cat capital of the world.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:31 am
southernbubby wrote:
People are also going to start hoarding shelf stable food again.

Some stores are wisely putting limits on staple items.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Some stores are wisely putting limits on staple items.

People found ways around that such as two members of the family shopping with a different cart and I don't think that it's as restricted if the products are ordered online for store pickup or delivery.

liveandlove.ima

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:46 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It doesn't look like they will have much of a holiday season. Jewish schools will have Chanukah break and winter break and people may not be able to travel but in many communities, our Yom Tovim were still reasonably nice, despite all of the people who got coronavirus but now there are lots of travel restrictions that didn't affect our holidays as much as it will affect theirs. Our holidays had good weather for being outside but theirs won't unless maybe they live in Florida. Their economy will be much more adversely affected than ours was.

It doesn't look like they will have much of a life. Jewish life is full of life! and after life!!
I really feel bad for them Laugh Laugh Laugh

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:49 pm
hope you have reason to be more optimistic soon imasoftov

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:06 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:10 pm
mocha wrote:
It doesn't look like they will have much of a life. Jewish life is full of life! and after life!!
I really feel bad for them Laugh Laugh Laugh

True, even before the pandemic, some people didn't have much of a life.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:42 pm
Yes, I have a lot of non jewish family (who live in OH and VA) and nearly all my coworkers are not Jewish. The winter holidays mean that basically no one is going to travel. Common communal events are all way scaled down or just cancelled. I have a coworker whose wife is living in SC while he's in NY. They haven't seen each other since before COVID, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight since neither can work from home to deal with quarantine from travel.

Many of my coworkers haven't been able to even go on family vacations, and heaven knows, we all really need it. We've been open this entire time, as essential business (non medical or retail), and with strict controls making everything more complicated and difficult.

My father has only been able to visit with my stepsister and her family local in OH over the summer, mainly outside, but when in person school resumed, my parents got strict again because there just are too many risks for them, my dad especially, and he's not visiting in person with anyone. My brother and I both live out of OH, but in different states, so we haven't seen him or each other. I only get to see my father about once a year, and this year that didn't happen. Who knows about next year? Also, heaven forbid, but his health isn't that great and he's not a young man. Even if he is iyh safe from COVID, I still worry that I might never see my father in person again, heaven forbid.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:50 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Yes, I have a lot of non jewish family (who live in OH and VA) and nearly all my coworkers are not Jewish. The winter holidays mean that basically no one is going to travel. Common communal events are all way scaled down or just cancelled. I have a coworker whose wife is living in SC while he's in NY. They haven't seen each other since before COVID, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight since neither can work from home to deal with quarantine from travel.

Many of my coworkers haven't been able to even go on family vacations, and heaven knows, we all really need it. We've been open this entire time, as essential business (non medical or retail), and with strict controls making everything more complicated and difficult.

My father has only been able to visit with my stepsister and her family local in OH over the summer, mainly outside, but when in person school resumed, my parents got strict again because there just are too many risks for them, my dad especially, and he's not visiting in person with anyone. My brother and I both live out of OH, but in different states, so we haven't seen him or each other. I only get to see my father about once a year, and this year that didn't happen. Who knows about next year? Also, heaven forbid, but his health isn't that great and he's not a young man. Even if he is iyh safe from COVID, I still worry that I might never see my father in person again, heaven forbid.

So sad Sad
Very sorry

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:29 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So sad Sad
Very sorry

Liking this post = agree with sb and sending hugs.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:10 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My old freezer died recently. I called a big appliance store to get a new one, and they said that 90% of their freezers were out of stock, and that new ones were not coming in. Not only that, the majority of their drivers were in bidud! I had to BEG to get a freezer delivered, but not before I lost all of my food.

The neighborhood cats are not picky about chicken and roast beef that has gone slightly off.

Bizarrely there's a shortage of freezers!
I needed a 2nd freezer desperately for pesach but they were all out. new ones came in in the summer but I missed it again for rosh hashana. finally found one at an obscure web site.
Now there is more in stock bh.
the groceries in wmsbg are out of bounty paper towel and only have flimsy cheap knockoffs.
There was a shortage of ginger ale over yomtov too.
bizarre stuff.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Bizarrely there's a shortage of freezers!
I needed a 2nd freezer desperately for pesach but they were all out. new ones came in in the summer but I missed it again for rosh hashana. finally found one at an obscure web site.
Now there is more in stock bh.
the groceries in wmsbg are out of bounty paper towel and only have flimsy cheap knockoffs.
There was a shortage of ginger ale over yomtov too.
bizarre stuff.

Ginger was claimed to be good for warding off viruses or something like that. The prices went up in some countries as people were hoarding ginger, too What

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:23 am
I think there is a shortage of freezers because people are buying so much food that lots of people bought an additional freezer...

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:50 am
Appreciate the ability to multitask.
Feel maxed out caring about ourselves.
Whats going on in NY and globally.
Davening for Moshiach who will peace to the whole world Jews and non Jews as well.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:49 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I think there is a shortage of freezers because people are buying so much food that lots of people bought an additional freezer...

People were afraid of meat shortages because meat packing plants had lots of Covid infections and they were also staying home and cooking instead of eating out.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 6:02 am
I felt pretty miserable about sukkos. Saddest yt ever experiences

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 6:32 am
Fascinating shiur by Rabbi Mendel Kessin on TorahThinking.com called "The Rescue of the Jews Before the Redemption" in which he addresses this topic as well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics