Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
You all forgot bklyn schools are still closed!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:08 pm
TCR wrote:
are inspectors really going to private homes? whatever for?

To catch illegal gatherings.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:19 pm
Who are all these inspectors? I remember the city couldn't open up schools or anything really because they claimed they didn't have enough inspectors to make sure everything is up to code.

I'm wondering if these inspectors have a criminal history of any kind...

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:37 pm
rikkik wrote:
According to King Cuomo's edict, it is illegal to hold a gathering in your home for more than 10 people. The inspectors are getting tips from non-Jews, and waiting outside of the homes to see if they can count 10 boys going in/out of the home.
It is fairly obvious that we are doing underground school. If you walk through the streets at certain times of the day, you see countless boys on bikes, scooters, with shopping bags. The inspectors are approaching the boys, and asking them where they are going, and are they studying by their friends house. Many of us had to tell our young boys to scream stranger danger if approached.

Basically what we were going through in willy in june....
It was nuts.
Now it's happening in other areas. Sad
They better lift the restrictions soon.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:43 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Is there a Shomrim society or local volunteer patrol group in your area? Can the kids be told to call them right away if they are being followed?

Also - though it may cause more trouble than it's worth - you could start spreading the word about this to the news and social media, about how children are being followed, scared and threatened by city workers

I feel torn about the shomrim idea.
Wouldn't that easily turn into a brawl?
If there were no kids in the picture fair enough. But there are.
Another idea maybe shomrim can simply drive the child to safety quickly. But that goes against everything we teach kids about stranger danger. Suddenly a unfamiliar frum looking male who claims to be from shomrim and has cherry lights on a jeep is safe to get into a car with?
I vote no.
I do not have social media presence.
Edited for typo.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:51 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Is there a Shomrim society or local volunteer patrol group in your area? Can the kids be told to call them right away if they are being followed?

There is. I got a message about it in my class chat. Parents who have volunteered their homes can sign up.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:56 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
Another idea maybe shomrim can simply drive the child to safety quickly. But that goes against everything we teach kids about stranger danger. Suddenly a unfamiliar frum looking male who claims to be from shomrim and has cherry lights on a jeep is safe to get into a car with?
I vote no.
Edited for typo.

The shomrim rides would have to be pre-arranged so that the parents would know exactly who is picking up the kids.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:26 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The shomrim rides would have to be pre-arranged so that the parents would know exactly who is picking up the kids.

I thought we were discussing kids calling shomrim if they are suddenly unexpectedly followed by inspectors or city officials or any strangers.
So that's a sudden unexpected emergency situation. Not sure what you mean by prearranged.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:32 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Who are all these inspectors? I remember the city couldn't open up schools or anything really because they claimed they didn't have enough inspectors to make sure everything is up to code.

Have you watched some of the videos? They definitely don't seem to be college educated. I am quite worried about them being around children, like you said, do they have a record, are they safe? Sad

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:33 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Parents should just be accompanying the kids themselves, so they can protect them against the adults.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:38 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
I thought we were discussing kids calling shomrim if they are suddenly unexpectedly followed by inspectors or city officials or any strangers.
So that's a sudden unexpected emergency situation. Not sure what you mean by prearranged.

I thought you meant that shomrim would take kids to wherever they are learning.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:00 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I thought you meant that shomrim would take kids to wherever they are learning.

Aaah okay.
That might actually be a good idea though

princessleah

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:09 am
so wait... schools are closed, and you want to sue to reopen them, but in the meantime, they are open illegally, and you're complaining that inspectors are coming to inspect? Inspect the schools that you are having illegally?

Why not -- stay home from school for 2 weeks and obey the regulations and let the numbers go down and then sue to reopen?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:40 am
princessleah wrote:
so wait... schools are closed, and you want to sue to reopen them, but in the meantime, they are open illegally, and you're complaining that inspectors are coming to inspect? Inspect the schools that you are having illegally?

Why not -- stay home from school for 2 weeks and obey the regulations and let the numbers go down and then sue to reopen?

The building is closed. Gatherings in homes are individual matters. Some might be legal if it involves 10 people or less. Some are probably illegal.
It would be interesting to see what the public school parents are doing for child care. They are probably not all staying home with their kids. Are the inspectors calling all babysitting arrangements illegal? Can one neighbor mind another neighbor's children during zoom school?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:51 am
princessleah wrote:

Numbers are down. But Cuomo isn’t ready to make life semi-decent again for Frum Jews.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Numbers are down. But Cuomo isn’t ready to make life semi-decent again for Frum Jews.

Basically it appears to be a form of punishment because much of the community didn't follow the rules. The numbers are lower but are not down far enough.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:21 pm
avrahamama wrote:

The inspectors are so shadowy and shady that even the NYC police don't know who they are. I was googling to find out about them and came across this conversation on a NYC police site.

https://lerant.proboards.com/t.....mones

For the all emails I sent out I only got one response. It is a bureaucracy response but see the copy and paste below for some light on who the inspectors supposedly are.

These government inspections of businesses and schools are done by the State, not the City.

Our Office cannot directly answer about the practices of other Offices, especially those not in NYC.

Nothing can be done, unfortunately, until there is proof that someone in the City has a summons from the State.

At that point, it would be best to try to appeal the summons with the State Department who issued it,
be that the NYS Dept of Labor for businesses, or the NYS Dept of Education for schools,
with proof that said business, or school was closed, with a City Councilperson, who is in charge of the local community where the business or school is.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:56 pm
Kids should go to a police officer if they are followed by inspectors! Call the police, this is so scary!!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:58 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
I vote no.
Edited for typo.

Funny, back in May, in Wmsbg some shomrim members were the ones who called the police to report kids going to secret schools. and they were the ones who stopped the boys to ask them where they were going. It was such a mess.

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:10 am
Chaim Deutch talked about the need for special ed schools to reopen on his radio program last week and this week. Last week, a parent from my kid's school went on the show. This week, two administrators went on. It's all talk though; nothing is happening.

Last edited by cuties' mom on Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

soap suds

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:23 am
princessleah wrote:

People are complaining about inspectors approaching children in the street and talking to them. It doesn't matter whether schools are open or not, legally or illegally. There is no way anyone can believe this is acceptable! Are you ok with this?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics