Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When is the garbage taken out?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:35 am
Dh likes to tie up the bag and leave it in the corner of the kitchen until he feels like taking it out. Twisted Evil

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:41 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Dh likes to tie up the bag and leave it in the corner of the kitchen until he feels like taking it out. Twisted Evil

That's when I step in Very Happy

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not a nasty smell but if the garbage with dinner leftovers sits overnight, then we smell dinner in the morning...

I would double bag the leftovers if the garbage isn't full enough to be taken out. Can't stand the smell of leftover food, especially leftover food left out overnight.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:46 am
We take the garbage out of the can when the bag is full, but then we leave it open until it’s REALLY full- the bag is bigger than out garbage can. It goes out to the garbage cans outside whenever my husband or son take the bags out, at least once a day.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:14 pm
If it's only two of you, maybe a smaller bag? Then it fills quicker and can be changed more often.
I also think its gross to wake up to food in the garbage from yesterday.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
If it's only two of you, maybe a smaller bag? Then it fills quicker and can be changed more often.
I also think its gross to wake up to food in the garbage from yesterday.

It's not just us two.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I would double bag the leftovers if the garbage isn't full enough to be taken out. Can't stand the smell of leftover food, especially leftover food left out overnight.

I don't have bags. I am unable to shop in physical stores due to my handicap so I almost exclusively shop online and get things in boxes. I wouldn't buy bags just for this purpose.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:39 pm
Every night and when it's close to full.

mizle10

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:42 pm
When it’s full, plus every night. Which is sometimes multiple times a day.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't have bags. I am unable to shop in physical stores due to my handicap so I almost exclusively shop online and get things in boxes. I wouldn't buy bags just for this purpose.

I bag it in a food storage bag. I buy a box-700 pcs.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:54 pm
This thread is so validating! Laugh Laugh
I can’t stand waking up to yesterdays garbage! DH only takes it out when the cup runneth over! Bh I’m capable of taking it out on my own! Hugs OP! Wish I can come over to take your garbage out every night. If you want to tell us where you live we might try to find a volunteer...

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:59 pm
Get a metal trash can with a cover. You can get one with a foot pedal to open the lid easily, and all the smells will be contained.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:30 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
We take the garbage out of the can when the bag is full, but then we leave it open until it’s REALLY full- the bag is bigger than out garbage can. It goes out to the garbage cans outside whenever my husband or son take the bags out, at least once a day.

I do the same, the first part of your statement. I've used a large garbage can for many, many years, but then most of children left home for the majority of the year so I bought a smaller one. Now I switch garbage cans, depending on how many children I have at home. All my garbage cans have covers and if it starts smelling before it's full, I through it out. It usually doesn't though.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:47 am
I heard a shiur online once , can't remember from who, that there used to be a neighborhood in Yerushalayim that had an ordinance that garbage could not remain in a home overnight. He said the neighborhood ended up being wealthy, implying that it was from the garbage ordinance. Maybe that's why I don't have money Can't Believe It

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That definitely changes things, but then you're buying more garbage bags instead.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:30 am
Early in our marriage, I found we were playing Garbage Chicken--stuffing things in when they didn't totally fit and waiting for the other person to give in and take it out. I usually caved. I brought it up one day and I realized he was doing it because he thought we could really fit more in by pushing it down, wasn't bothered by the smell, (and imo was a little lazy and laid back about this kind of household chore). I was waiting for him to do it because I didn't want to have to do it all the time. This was when we were in an apartment and had to take it down a couple of flights of stairs in the wrong direction for going anywhere, but there were no specific days. So I took it out before shabbos and when people were coming over, or when it made me crazy. I was still kind of resentful especially since I grew up in a house where my father always did it and he would never let it overflow.

When we moved to a house, I mostly took it over since I didn't want to be mad about it. I take it out of the kitchen when it's full, before shabbos, and after dinner the night before trash pickup. I usually bring it to the curb for pickup, but if it's really cold out or I have a lot of other things to do, I ask DH and he does it. I decided it wasn't one of those things worth stewing over. DH does other things.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Garbage bags are expensive. Cheaper to buy cheap bags for leftovers then waste garbage bags. Diaper bags are perfect and are like 3 cents each.
It’s also an investment in your shalom bayis. Priceless.

Especially if your DH always takes out the garbage. He may be resentful especially if you want him to do it more.

metacognizant

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:25 pm
On garbage night (Mon/Wed/Fri) or when it's full, whichever comes first. Do you not have a garbage can with a lid?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics