Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Weddings vs schools
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:45 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Spill the negal vasser first. Use clean water.

Golly, EC, at least I didn't tell her to soak her toe in the potty Wink

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:54 am
LittleDucky wrote:
The problem is you are asking one population to "sacrifice" for another group. The people getting married don't have children usually (because the ones wanting big weddings are usually first marriages). I totally agree that school is a higher need than a party. I even put it above minyanim and in person kollels- adults can do a lot more on their own that kids cannot. They can handle zoom chavrusas- a 5 year old cannot and will be harmed in the long run. If the 5 year old doesn't go to school they will struggle in future years too. Their parents can't work so the home will be financially unstable- more chaos in kids lives they don't need.
As a community everyone should sacrifice for the kids to go to school. No birthday parties, shabbos guests, minyanim (especially unmasked and indoors), large weddings, huge Bar Mitzvahs, after school clubs....
If we all band together we can have our kids safely in school (wearing masks and those desk/room dividers, no lunchrooms, multi class plays or events etc)

Unless the frum community would get a core group to form a special organization that would reach out to other groups and get the community to comply, every person will do exactly what he or she wants and what is in their own best interest. Nobody is doing anything to get the community on board.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Unless the frum community would get a core group to form a special organization that would reach out to other groups and get the community to comply, every person will do exactly what he or she wants and what is in their own best interest. Nobody is doing anything to get the community on board.

And that is the crux of the whole issue. Why should I hypothetically inconvenience myself for someone else? Why should I "suffer" without play dates, shabbos guests, minyan etc or by wearing a mask when "I" am not at high risk? (IRL I wear a mask, don't do any of these things and neither does my family. My father, husband, adult brother etc all don't go to shul because people aren't being careful. No shul since March. No Simchas, a siyum was done on zoom... )
Everyone is looking out for themselves and doing what THEY want rather than looking out for everyone as a whole. Shul Rabbis like making speeches, seeing their shuls open etc. people who own simcha businesses want those to be opened. We need to band together- support those businesses that cannot be open (take family photos and hire a frum photographer, buy takeout from a caterer/restaurant, or anything else to help them). Help those businesses "transition" to other SD concepts. But close everything else that isn't SD down.
As a community we need to help what can be done to stay open and Keep critical stuff open- like school.
But no one will listen to me IRL. Who can make a campaign that wil be listened to?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:51 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
And that is the crux of the whole issue. Why should I hypothetically inconvenience myself for someone else? Why should I "suffer" without play dates, shabbos guests, minyan etc or by wearing a mask when "I" am not at high risk? (IRL I wear a mask, don't do any of these things and neither does my family. My father, husband, adult brother etc all don't go to shul because people aren't being careful. No shul since March. No Simchas, a siyum was done on zoom... )
Everyone is looking out for themselves and doing what THEY want rather than looking out for everyone as a whole. Shul Rabbis like making speeches, seeing their shuls open etc. people who own simcha businesses want those to be opened. We need to band together- support those businesses that cannot be open (take family photos and hire a frum photographer, buy takeout from a caterer/restaurant, or anything else to help them). Help those businesses "transition" to other SD concepts. But close everything else that isn't SD down.
As a community we need to help what can be done to stay open and Keep critical stuff open- like school.
But no one will listen to me IRL. Who can make a campaign that wil be listened to?

I think that there is a frum chamber of commerce here and they did try to get everyone to support local businesses but a wedding for 50 people may still be expensive for the people involved but the uninvited people are not spending money. Again, I don't spend my money when it doesn't benefit me so I don't really think that will work. I am on a special diet so I don't buy carry out. For most people, it isn't only the food but they like being waited on so buying restaurant carry out and serving and clearing at home doesn't have much appeal.

GLUE

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:38 pm
People were falling the guide lines. Then the govt. showed that it was all a power trip to give them self more power and control so people stopped paying att. The pandemic is over the only thing left is a panic. The "pandemic" will not be over until "The people" tell the Govt. to get lost.

It is not only Jews how are fed up with the Govt. over reach Non Jews are also partying the govt. is to drunk on power to give it up.
There is always people getting sick now everything is Corna

Wake up the lock down is worse then the virus

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:27 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I think that there is a frum chamber of commerce here and they did try to get everyone to support local businesses but a wedding for 50 people may still be expensive for the people involved but the uninvited people are not spending money. Again, I don't spend my money when it doesn't benefit me so I don't really think that will work. I am on a special diet so I don't buy carry out. For most people, it isn't only the food but they like being waited on so buying restaurant carry out and serving and clearing at home doesn't have much appeal.

I get that. But the point I was making is that we cannot (as a whole) think only of ourselves. To keep the schools open other things have got to give. We can't have huge weddings, shuls packed, no masks being worn, crowded stores etc etc and schools open. It's easiest to shut schools down as here is theoretically a viable alternative (zoom) but as parents we know the kids do not gain as much and the social aspect is so crucial.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:34 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I get that. But the point I was making is that we cannot (as a whole) think only of ourselves. To keep the schools open other things have got to give. We can't have huge weddings, shuls packed, no masks being worn, crowded stores etc etc and schools open. It's easiest to shut schools down as here is theoretically a viable alternative (zoom) but as parents we know the kids do not gain as much and the social aspect is so crucial.

Most likely, because of the rising cases, there will be greater enforcement and any non-compliant gathering will be busted up and after awhile, people will have no choice but to comply. I don't think that anyone will do that on their own. Everyone figures that someone else can be the korban.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:15 pm
OP, you're absolutely right.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:20 am
I totally agree with you, OP. Then again, I'm lucky that I married years ago, with the wedding I wanted and all my friends there. I also don't have children in the parsha, so I don't know what it's like to make a wedding without family.

I can kinda see it from their point of view. It's a once in a lifetime event, and not everyone is self-sacrificing to give it up. And if we could take a good look around, we're looking at this pandemic for at least another year, maybe two or more.

There are a ton of articles on "pandemic fatigue". This is a good one:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/p.....04601

It's the reason why I was so against the whole "EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE" rhetoric of a few months ago. We had nurses on here telling horror stories and everyone rallying around them, and I just shut my mouth, but all I could think of was the fact that hyping the fear quotient only serves a short while, and then people snap. There are loads of psychological studies on this, and why the WHO has historically never promoted quarantines. Somehow the forced captivity drives people nuts, and leads to an almost hysterical urge to escape.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics