Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What size kitchen aid??

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:57 am
There is a 5 qrt bowl kitchenaid stan d mixer on sale- is 5qt the standard size or is that small? What size kitchean aid do you have?

Cookin4days

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:23 pm
I have 6 qt and it’s honestly in my opinion too big - 5 qt should be a good size

Eselle13

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:28 pm
They make 2 different types. One with a top that flips up and one with a level to lower the bowl. They make both options in 5 qt but only bowl lowering in 6 qt. So if you have a preference, make sure you are getting the right one!

Most people say 5 qt is big enough for cake and cookies and only get 6qt if you want to make challah in it (it's harder to use than a bosch) my mother switched from bosch to kitchen aid when hers broke and after overheating it twice, went and bought a bosch for challah only.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:36 pm
Eselle13 wrote:
They make 2 different types. One with a top that flips up and one with a level to lower the bowl. They make both options in 5 qt but only bowl lowering in 6 qt. So if you have a preference, make sure you are getting the right one!

Most people say 5 qt is big enough for cake and cookies and only get 6qt if you want to make challah in it (it's harder to use than a bosch) my mother switched from bosch to kitchen aid when hers broke and after overheating it twice, went and bought a bosch for challah only.

In addition to bowl lift vs flip top, they make them with a range of motor sizes. If you want to do heavy duty kneading, you need a powerful motor as well as a big bowl. I have the 7 qt proline and have never had an issue with it overheating. It’s a true workhorse.

I’ve never owned a Bosch so I won’t make any comparison.

https://www.williams-sonoma.co.....ixers

Rappel

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:40 pm
challahchallah wrote:
In addition to bowl lift vs flip top, they make them with a range of motor sizes. If you want to do heavy duty kneading, you need a powerful motor as well as a big bowl. I have the 7 qt proline and have never had an issue with it overheating. It’s a true workhorse.

That is a beautiful machine

MommyM

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:48 pm
challahchallah wrote:

Yes, I have the 6 qt Pro version, and it worked well for Challoh, however, I've heard from people who had the non-Pro versions that it does not do well with dough.

bunchagirlies

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:23 pm
I have a 5 qt cuisinart for pesach. same style as kitchen aid machines. Plenty big even for double cake recipies.

shalom822

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:25 pm
I had 6 court and wasn’t quite big enough for dough. Broke after 3 years.. if it’s for challah I recommend the Bosch.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:07 pm
The other thing about kitchen aids is they have a TON of different models with really similar sounding names (6 (!) different models with "Professional" or "Pro" in the name). Here's a nice website that lays out the different models with specs:
https://mixitbakeit.com/compar.....xers/

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:39 pm
All so confusing- who knew-
This is the ad I saw..
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/k.....29332

It has 450 watt- is that good?
I really just like the color : ).

After 27 years my stand mixer died and they don't make replacement parts for it. : ). I have been using a handheld mixer in the meantime. Way less complicated than having to choose a new stand mixer!

challahchallah

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:15 pm
eema1 wrote:
All so confusing- who knew-
This is the ad I saw..
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/k.....29332

It has 450 watt- is that good?
I really just like the color : ).

After 27 years my stand mixer died and they don't make replacement parts for it. : ). I have been using a handheld mixer in the meantime. Way less complicated than having to choose a new stand mixer!

The color is beautiful. The motor is mediocre. It will do you just fine for mixing some cake batter etc but don't count on it for heavy duty kneading. 450 Watts puts it below other bowl lift versions of the kitchen aid but better than their tilt-head lines, so it's sort of in-between when it comes to power. To give you a reference point, the Bosch that so many people here like is 800 Watts.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:34 pm
6 qt.'s enough for challah? How much? I never tried, and I'll continue to knead by hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics