Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What is your immediate reaction to thread titles (Part 3)
  Previous  1  2  3 145  146  147 473  474  475  Next

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:43 am
zaq wrote:
No, it's the logo of the Israel Ministry of Tourism: a stylized rendition of the original logo, which showed two figures holding a giant cluster of grapes on a pole supported on their shoulders. I liked better the more realistic original image from the 1960s but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm not sure that I would khap what the current image represents if I weren't familiar with the original; if anything, I'd think it represented the Ministry of Agriculture in general or the wine industry in particular.

Sorry it's so small, but the system allows only a very small file size and the image can't be more than 80 pixels square. It took quite a bit of doing to crop and shrink the image so that the system would accept it.

Thanks for explaining. That’s very interesting. I wonder if the inspiration for the logo was the story of the meraglim who actually went to “tour” Israel and brought back these giant oversized grapes! I like it! Drunken Smile

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:24 am
Why is he still snoring?

He forgot to set the alarm clock again?

Or you meant “she”? The holocaust survivor Vera?

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:19 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Thanks for explaining. That’s very interesting. I wonder if the inspiration for the logo was the story of the meraglim who actually went to “tour” Israel and brought back these giant oversized grapes! I like it! Drunken Smile

That goes without saying. Though the government is mostly secular, the early leaders were well-versed in Biblical history. Tanach, as a major feature of the national literature, was part of the regular public school curriculum in the early days of the State.

From wikipedia

The Ministry of Tourism (Hebrew: מִשְׂרַד הַתַּיָּרוּת‎, translit. Misrad HaTayarut) is the Israeli government office responsible for tourism. ... The logo for the Ministry depicts the Biblical Spies carrying fruit back from touring the Holy Land.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:52 am
zaq wrote:
That goes without saying. Though the government is mostly secular, the early leaders were well-versed in Biblical history. Tanach, as a major feature of the national literature, was part of the regular public school curriculum in the early days of the State.

From wikipedia

The Ministry of Tourism (Hebrew: מִשְׂרַד הַתַּיָּרוּת‎, translit. Misrad HaTayarut) is the Israeli government office responsible for tourism. ... The logo for the Ministry depicts the Biblical Spies carrying fruit back from touring the Holy Land.

Thumbs Up I like it a lot.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 1:21 pm
delete

Last edited by imasoftov on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 1:36 pm
S/o So Annoyed

So So Annoyed? or maybe S/o S/o Annoyed?

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 1:52 pm
mocha wrote:
S/o So Annoyed

So So Annoyed? or maybe S/o S/o Annoyed?

Just so-so annoyed.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 1:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Just so-so annoyed.

Smile that's how I seriously read it at first

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:34 pm
weddings vs. schools
no contest; I'd rather go to a wedding than to school any day

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:38 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Thumbs Up I like it a lot.

What's ironic is that the original spies brought back the fruit to slander, not praise the land, and terrify the people into abandoning the effort to capture it. the modern-day image is, of course, used to praise the land by showing off its legendary fabulous produce.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:45 pm
zaq wrote:
What's ironic is that the original spies brought back the fruit to slander, not praise the land, and terrify the people into abandoning the effort to capture it. the modern-day image is, of course, used to praise the land by showing off its legendary fabulous produce.

True, but weren’t they punished for looking at it negatively when it was in fact praiseworthy already back then?
I think it’s a brilliant logo for Israel tourism.
Next question, are you perhaps a tour guide? (As a side profession, in between your home organization jobs...) you don’t have to answer, I’m just curious why you chose it as your avatar. An avatar usually represents the person in some way.

penguin

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:21 pm
Zaq, did you mean this?

You're welcome.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:50 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
True, but weren’t they punished for looking at it negatively when it was in fact praiseworthy already back then?
I think it’s a brilliant logo for Israel tourism.
Next question, are you perhaps a tour guide? (As a side profession, in between your home organization jobs...) you don’t have to answer, I’m just curious why you chose it as your avatar. An avatar usually represents the person in some way.

Well yes, of course they were punished. instead of saying 'look guys, this place is fabulous, look at the size of these grapes!' they said "look at this, can you imagine the people who eat grapes like this? They must be giants! They'll eat us for breakfast and have our children for dessert!"

I always liked the logo--the original one from the sixties. I'm not so enchanted by the newer one, tbh, mostly because the human figures are a modern design cliche. every orthopedist's office, beauty spa, and charity uses that type of stylized figure. the original may have been a design cliche in its time, too, but at the time I was too young to know what a design cliche was.

I chose it because I love Israel, both the land and the State. There is a lot of negativity on this site towards the State and towards Zionism in general, and I want to counteract that in every way possible. I used moonstone's Tzahal avatar, but kept looking at her posts and thinking "I don't remember posting that." My neck was getting sore from all the double-takes, so it was time to find my own.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:53 pm
Please help! Leak on roof! (Don’t need roofer)

Perhaps some bochurim can build a shlak for you?
Or maybe you can be the shlak (aren’t you one anyway?) and place yourself over the hole on the roof to keep the water from leaking into your house.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:55 pm
penguin wrote:
Zaq, did you mean this?

You're welcome.

I think this wouldn’t need any explanations. I’d guess just from seeing it. Hey I should open a thread on guessing what a picture represents.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:58 pm
zaq wrote:
Well yes, of course they were punished. instead of saying 'look guys, this place is fabulous, look at the size of these grapes!' they said "look at this, can you imagine the people who eat grapes like this? They must be giants! They'll eat us for breakfast and have our children for dessert!"

I always liked the logo--the original one from the sixties. I'm not so enchanted by the newer one, tbh, mostly because the human figures are a modern design cliche. every orthopedist's office, beauty spa, and charity uses that type of stylized figure. the original may have been a design cliche in its time, too, but at the time I was too young to know what a design cliche was.

I chose it because I love Israel, both the land and the State. There is a lot of negativity on this site towards the State and towards Zionism in general, and I want to counteract that in every way possible. I used moonstone's Tzahal avatar, but kept looking at her posts and thinking "I don't remember posting that." My neck was getting sore from all the double-takes, so it was time to find my own.

LOL
I did some double takes when moonstone posted too. It didn’t always match up with your posting style (though ironically sometimes it really did).
Same with Little Princess from London who has the same avatar as me. She had it first so I should really do something original.

penguin

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:09 pm
Although really I think this is more like it.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:11 pm
penguin wrote:

Yup, keeps getting better!

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:23 pm
penguin wrote:

yes, that's more like it but for some reason I think the figures were facing the other way .And I don't recall one of the figures carrying a walking stick, either.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:25 pm
zaq wrote:
yes, that's more like it but for some reason I think the figures were facing the other way.

They started off going in this direction. When they noticed they’re lost they switched to the opposite directions and that’s when they met you.
Page 146 of 475   Previous  1  2  3 145  146  147 473  474  475  Next Recent Topics