Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Questions about keto and IF

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:05 am
I started a healthy keto diet
Lots of greens and low carb veggies plus measured protein, and measured fat

Also I’m trying IF, trying to eat 2 meals a day.

Is the ideas behind keto and IF that you diminish your appetite and so you eat less calories.
Trying to understand how it all works

How do I know if I’m eating too many calories

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:26 am
Check out Dr Berg on YouTube. He answers all those questions plus many more.

Good luck!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I started a healthy keto diet
Lots of greens and low carb veggies plus measured protein, and measured fat

Also I’m trying IF, trying to eat 2 meals a day.

Is the ideas behind keto and IF that you diminish your appetite and so you eat less calories.
Trying to understand how it all works

How do I know if I’m eating too many calories

You can pm me your email. I’ll give you a good way to get started. Also make sure you get enough salt. If you’ve ever heard of keto flu, salt is the prevention. Dont count calories. Eat to satiety. Don’t eat mass quantities of veg. To start, don’t limit your protein/fats. Get stable on it and then tweak

Just FYI, I don’t measure. Don’t try to do it low fat, fat is what satiated. Don’t count calories. Also with regard to IF, start with the food and then as it’s comfortable, stretch the time between meals.

When I eat lunch today, I’ll have been fasting from Monday night. I usually can’t do more than 24, but for some reason it worked well for me this time. I don’t push myself because I like things to be sustainable.

Fasting is like a muscle that needs to be developed. I would say that starting with two meals when you fast is a good idea.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:37 am
Also, Jason Fung videos and books.
The obesity code
The diabetes code.
Even the least science oriented of us can understand it when he explains it. He is the one who really popularized IF because he helped his very ill patients reverse their diabetes, often to undetectable levels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Check out Dr Berg on YouTube. He answers all those questions plus many more.

Good luck!

Can you link the video that talks about how many calories one should eat on keto in order to lose weight

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:13 pm
andrea levy wrote:
You can pm me your email. I’ll give you a good way to get started. Also make sure you get enough salt. If you’ve ever heard of keto flu, salt is the prevention. Dont count calories. Eat to satiety. Don’t eat mass quantities of veg. To start, don’t limit your protein/fats. Get stable on it and then tweak
רק
Just FYI, I don’t measure. Don’t try to do it low fat, fat is what satiated. Don’t count calories. Also with regard to IF, start with the food and then as it’s comfortable, stretch the time between meals.

When I eat lunch today, I’ll have been fasting from Monday night. I usually can’t do more than 24, but for some reason it worked well for me this time. I don’t push myself because I like things to be sustainable.

Fasting is like a muscle that needs to be developed. I would say that starting with two meals when you fast is a good idea.

When you fast, do you drink only water, or allow yourself coffee/tea?

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you link the video that talks about how many calories one should eat on keto in order to lose weight

The idea of keto is not "calories in, calories out"

It's to put your body in a state of ketosis, where it's burning up your body fat as primary fuel. Not starvation - ketosis.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:37 pm
Rappel wrote:
The idea of keto is not "calories in, calories out"

It's to put your body in a state of ketosis, where it's burning up your body fat as primary fuel. Not starvation - ketosis.

Yes, but, if you are not hungry and you are eating less, aren’t you eating less calories so that’s what makes you lose the weight.
Can I lose weight if I eat 24 chicken wings?
Just an example

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, but, if you are not hungry and you are eating less, aren’t you eating less calories so that’s what makes you lose the weight.
Just an example

There are studies where people are massive amounts of fat and still lost weight. When I started, I like gave 3 egg omelette with cheese for breakfast along with coffee with heavy cream. Layer I’d eat a 16 oz steak and a dozen wings.

Over time my
Body had adjusted and I eat an appropriate amount for ME to be satiated. I just fasted 36 hours and had heavy cream and coffee both days in the am and once at night. For lunch I had chicken soup with a chicken ball and some veg, cabbage with caramelize onions and a tomato base, and beef belly along with 5 olives, some bsbaganouche and about 1/4 cup blueberries. I’ll likely eat again later.

In general this week I’ve been eating more and my weight has gone down. There’s no rhyme or reason at this point. Every day I don’t regain permanently I am happy. If I lose slowly that’s also fine.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just an example

It’s about sustainable eating that gives you an overall downward arc.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:49 pm
Rappel wrote:
When you fast, do you drink only water, or allow yourself coffee/tea?

I drink coffee with heavy cream, tea and water. I don’t think you should be fasting excessively given that you are nursing a newborn.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:40 pm
Intermittent fasting is definitely not necessarily related to the keto diet (or any particular diet).
Best resource I've found for IF that got me going is Gin Stephens books: Delay Don't Deny, & more recent book, Fast Feast Repeat, & she explains it simply but well.
Not that keto isn't worth trying, but it's not for everyone's body, I personally eat carbs & love IF.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Intermittent fasting is definitely not necessarily related to the keto diet (or any particular diet).
Best resource I've found for IF that got me going is Gin Stephens books: Delay Don't Deny, & more recent book, Fast Feast Repeat, & she explains it simply but well.
Not that keto isn't worth trying, but it's not for everyone's body, I personally eat carbs & love IF.

its so funny how different we all are. when I first heard about jason fung, I thought 'oh psha. I can eat WAY more in 8 hours than most people. I tried it a few times but just always ate like a maniac on the other side and suffered through the fast.

once I started eating low carb, fasting happened naturally. I've said before, I am not dogmatic about fasting. I think Gin Stephens style is great for those who can handle it but I a way beyond the people who can delay not deny. If I did that, I would delay, eat, and then eat non stop for three months before I tried again. Today I ended my 36 hour fast, ate delicious food (beef ribs, cabbage with caramelized onions and tomato base, babaganouche, chicken soup with a chicken ball and a few chunks of veg) and later ate some insane cream of mushroom soup I had made with heavy cream and butter for a light dinner since I have to get up early tomorrow and don't want to eat too much and go to bed full. I am happy and satisfied and ready to fast til dinner tomorrow.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:41 am
andrea levy wrote:
its so funny how different we all are. when I first heard about jason fung, I thought 'oh psha. I can eat WAY more in 8 hours than most people. I tried it a few times but just always ate like a maniac on the other side and suffered through the fast.

once I started eating low carb, fasting happened naturally. I've said before, I am not dogmatic about fasting. I think Gin Stephens style is great for those who can handle it but I a way beyond the people who can delay not deny. If I did that, I would delay, eat, and then eat non stop for three months before I tried again. Today I ended my 36 hour fast, ate delicious food (beef ribs, cabbage with caramelized onions and tomato base, babaganouche, chicken soup with a chicken ball and a few chunks of veg) and later ate some insane cream of mushroom soup I had made with heavy cream and butter for a light dinner since I have to get up early tomorrow and don't want to eat too much and go to bed full. I am happy and satisfied and ready to fast til dinner tomorrow.

If I ate that much I would be 300lbs now
I’m not trying to offend, but I can’t imagine losing weight with so many calories
Soup with ball, ribs, cabbage, baba.
Unless it was tiny tiny portions.
Also do all the veggies take you out of ketosis

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:48 am
Please listen to Andrea. She's not wrong! She's been doing this for a long time, has had amazing results, and has done tons of scientific research on this.

As a side note, when I was researching keto, I came across an article that said that a keto way of eating can also help regulate periods, control PCOS, and improve fertility. I wish I could find that article again, but I lost track of it because I'm not in that parsha.

Wishing you lots of success on both endeavors!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I ate that much I would be 300lbs now
I’m not trying to offend, but I can’t imagine losing weight with so many calories
Soup with ball, ribs, cabbage, baba.
Unless it was tiny tiny portions.
Also do all the veggies take you out of ketosis

I eat to satiety. whatever that means to me personally. I lose weight slowly and I don't suffer.

I also don't chase ketosis. I have a metre but never check. It really doesn't matter, my blood sugar is stable, my cravings are gone, my health issues are resolved, and I feel amazing. Of course my primary fuel is ketones. I don't eat enough carbs that I would get completely knocked out of ketosis but on the other hand, gluconeogenesis is a thing, so no doubt sometimes that happens also. I can be considered metabolically flexible, I suppose.

That is the chemistry. there's no magic in ketosis for me if I can't be craving free. One does not need ketosis to be craving free however, one just needs stable blood sugar.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:45 pm
https://hvmn.com/blogs/blog/ke.....-diet OP here's a good article. As you can see, its a complex answer, but the upshot is that most of us don't count calories. The article explains why in great detail and has peer reviewed articles at the bottom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise