Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Managing the home with chronic fatigue
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 3:02 pm
I have chronic fatigue and am a stay at home Mom with no cleaning help. I am looking for tips and tricks to make cleaning the home, managing laundry, dinners easier. Looking for both global ideas and also small little tips. Thanks in advance.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 3:11 pm
I don't have chronic fatigue but I did suffer from depression for a long time which made me exhausted All the time and had to nap everyday. Do you have any kids at home all day or are they in school? Dinners. I feel like it's best to prepare it in the morning. And either just put in oven before dinner time or cook it in morning also. It's really depends your family lifestyle. Do you have a large family or small? Are you children young of older?
I find it's easiest for me to do everything slowly.
Like I start cooking for Shabbos one thing at a time and freeze what could be frozen. Made big pot chicken soup and freeze in small containers.
Do a grocery order if that easier for
You than going to store. Try to delegate some jobs to husband/ kids.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 3:15 pm
My fatigue is actually worse in the morning.

Small family and home all day. Kids in school. Started training them to clean up toys.

I take lots of breaks while I work.

I shop in small grocery cuz less walking around and less headache.

I'm not sure I find freezing easier cuz too many steps.

Most suppers are chicken and rice or potatoes

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:00 pm
What do you need help with? Do you have any questions and we can try to make things easier for you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
What do you need help with? Do you have any questions and we can try to make things easier for you.

Everything. I tank out. I keep thinking I should have less toys maybe but bec of my fatigue I need them to be busy playing. If I could afford I would get an automatic vacuum cleaner. I decided to stop doing any deep cleaning for now.

I just need a bunch of ideas.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:12 pm
Are you doing anything to address the fatigue? Do you know what’s causing it?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everything. I tank out. I keep thinking I should have less toys maybe but bec of my fatigue I need them to be busy playing. If I could afford I would get an automatic vacuum cleaner. I decided to stop doing any deep cleaning for now.

I just need a bunch of ideas.

Op I bought a great auto vac for $200 can you spend that?
They don’t have to cost $600

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 4:19 pm
Following. I'm in the same boat, but without the kids.

I can mop half of the kitchen, and be wiped out for the rest of the day. Then I end up with spasms in my back for the next 3 to 4 days. Then the kitchen gets dirty again, and I haven't even finished cleaning the other half of it.

Then the bathroom needs to be cleaned... and on it goes.

B'H for Corona. I'd be mortified to have company over. I am not a dirty person, I am just a perpetually exhausted person in a dirty house.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

1. Cleaning the house (dishes, floors, tidying up, bathroom)
2. Laundry cleaning and folding
3. Putting away groceries
4. Cleaning up toys, kids clothing
5. Variety of dinners with minimal energy

Keep in mind that in part bec I don't work money is tight (can't work due to fatigue)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My fatigue is actually worse in the morning.

Small family and home all day. Kids in school. Started training them to clean up toys.

I take lots of breaks while I work.

I shop in small grocery cuz less walking around and less headache.

I'm not sure I find freezing easier cuz too many steps.

Most suppers are chicken and rice or potatoes

Hug

Is there any way to email in your orders and have them delivered while you stay home? If preparing a list feels overwhelming, I am offering to help you customize one.

Use disposable cookware and plasticware. Also disposable tablecloths. After a meal have someone roll up all the garbage in the tablecloth and dispose.

Keep drop-ins to the toilet tanks so that the toilet bowls stay fresher longer.

Have the kids use Mr Clean Eraser Sheets on bathtubs and stovetops.

Have them use wipes to swipe the bathrooms each day.

Maybe a robot vacuum/mop combo would be helpful to you. I have just a vacuum for $250.

Have the kids take off some of the linen while you sit and talk to them.

Even small children can fold some laundry with a folding board. Or send out the laundry for pick-up and drop-off service.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:06 pm
Have you given an antidepressant a good try? You may not feel depressed or sad but it can be playing out as chronic fatigue. I would strongly recommend seeing a psychiatrist. Of You don't see success try different medication. Do you need recommendations for a psychiatrist? Your family needs you. Wishng you strength.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hug

Is there any way to email in your orders and have them delivered while you stay home? If preparing a list feels overwhelming, I am offering to help you customize one.

Use disposable cookware and plasticware. Also disposable tablecloths. After a meal have someone roll up all the garbage in the tablecloth and dispose.

Keep drop-ins to the toilet tanks so that the toilet bowls stay fresher longer.

Have the kids use Mr Clean Eraser Sheets on bathtubs and stovetops.

Have them use wipes to swipe the bathrooms each day.

Maybe a robot vacuum/mop combo would be helpful to you. I have just a vacuum for $250.

Have the kids take off some of the linen while you sit and talk to them.

Even small children can fold some laundry with a folding board. Or send out the laundry for pick-up and drop-off service.

Thank you!

I find online harder than in the store. Texting a list..I also like shopping on my own bec here are always wrong items, missing etc..

I do almost everything disposable.

You mean the thing you hang in the toilet bowl?

I like the idea of Mr clean sheets and wipes

The vacuum thing costs too much now but maybe I can save for it. Vacuum and mop combo sounds good.

Maybe I can give my kids thrir laundry to at least put away. I probably should work on my kids when I have energy bec when I have episodes I have no strength to train my kids in...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!

I find online harder than in the store. Texting a list..I also like shopping on my own bec here are always wrong items, missing etc..

I do almost everything disposable.

You mean the thing you hang in the toilet bowl?

I like the idea of Mr clean sheets and wipes

The vacuum thing costs too much now but maybe I can save for it. Vacuum and mop combo sounds good.

Maybe I can give my kids thrir laundry to at least put away. I probably should work on my kids when I have energy bec when I have episodes I have no strength to train my kids in...

It's a drop in tablet that you put under the lid of the tank and it melts a little every time you flush and it gets swished around the toilet bowl.

Maybe you can direct the kids even when you have no strength. Put on some light music, lay on the couch and tell them you're all going to have a good time. Put on a YouTube how to fold video and let them try while you lay flat.

Hug

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 8:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's a drop in tablet that you put under the lid of the tank and it melts a little every time you flush and it gets swished around the toilet bowl.

Maybe you can direct them even when you have no strength. Put on some light music, lay on the couch and tell them you're all going to have a good time. Put on a YouTube how to fold video and let them try while you lay flat.

Hug

What is this tablet called?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is this tablet called?

Scrubbing Bubbles continously clean drop ins blue tablets.
Clorox makes a very good bleach one that probably cleans more but I don't like using bleach and also appreciate seeing when the blue color fades so I know when to put in a new one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Scrubbing Bubbles continously clean drop ins blue tablets.
Clorox makes a very good bleach one that probably cleans more but I don't like using bleach and also appreciate seeing when the blue color fades so I know when to put in a new one.

Thank you!

Just found another tip on a you tube video to walk around the house with a garbage bag when cleaning up so don't have run back and forth to the garbage can while cleaning.

Also is vacuuming less strenuous than sweeping. Very used to sweeping.

Is there a mop that is easier to use than other brands and uses less pressure?

LittleMissMama

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:46 pm
Get a swiffer mop with wet pads and dry pads. Much easier than sweeping and easier than a heavy bucket of water.

I'm sorry you're struggling. May Hashem give you strength.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiffer.....r=8-2

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:50 pm
A lot of bins is something I like- I or the kids or Dh can just throw in the bins so at least things are contained.

Disposable tablecloths before dinner and snack time

Handheld vacuum that kids can use to clean up - or teach them to use a dustpan and brush

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:50 pm
I have chronic fatigue at times also. I just do the best I can I prepare a bunch of different suppers on Sunday in the late afternoon so we have supper to last the week, I do a tray of chicken, a tray of cutlets, a tray of burgers, a tray of baked ziti and the rest of the week is leftovers. I do shopping once a week in the morning - DH drives me so I just run in and shop. As far as cleaning I pick one room a day and Tuesday is laundry day. I cook for Shabbos on friday in the longer day light months and on Thursday right after work on the shorter months. I can hardly stay awake after 9PM and I just need to put my feet up or a I feel like I will fall.

A few things that I have tried that helped me are Green tea - it has great things in it to wake you up and has anti oxidents, I exercise as much as possible whenever possible, I also stay away from dairy and spicy foods and try to eat salad and fruit every day. I also take a shaklee multi vitamin. Even though I would love a nice neat house I can't afford help so I just do my best. My kids are older now so they clean on Friday after school. Erev Rosh Hashanah or Succos I do get some cleaning help it's like for a week or two not more than that as I can't afford it and I also get cleaning help for Erev Pesach to help me kasher the kitchen other than that I do it on my own. I also use paper goods when I'm knocked out instead of dishes it is cheaper than cleaning help Smile My DH complains all the time how the house is messy so I try to clean the other problem is that we both like to "keep" things although lately I've been in a throw out or donate kind of mood so the house is looking much better we hardly have company as I have no energy for it and don't have the patience. I hope this was helpful to you.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
1. Cleaning the house (dishes, floors, tidying up, bathroom)
2. Laundry cleaning and folding
3. Putting away groceries
4. Cleaning up toys, kids clothing
5. Variety of dinners with minimal energy

Keep in mind that in part bec I don't work money is tight (can't work due to fatigue)

I have CFS so I can commiserate. Here are some things that work best:

1) Have less stuff. If you can't pare down kids toys, get rid of as much of everything else as possible. It's less you need to deal with.
2) Don't sort laundry. Give each member of your household a laundry basket and all their laundry goes in each one. Then you don't need to sort or even really put away if you aren't up for it.
3) Try to capitalize on the few minutes you do feel well. Make a list of chores that really make things feel cleaner. I try to take a few minutes a day right after brushing my teeth to wipe down the bathroom counter. It makes me feel like my whole house is cleaner.
4) We have a robot vacuum. I'm obsessed.
5) Train your kids. Min are 7,9,11,12 and they all have been doing real chores for years. They don't necessarily do it well, but they do it.
6) Get your husband to figure out what he can do. My husband does a ton because I need him to.
7) Lower your standards and then lower the bar even more. It's ok.

You have my sympathies. CFS is such an invisible illness and it really sucks the life out of you.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics