Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Indoctrination, Control and its Aftermath
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 20  21  22  Next

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:52 pm
crust wrote:

Meaning, if you don't have very platchige kids then they most certainly won't be very good with tons of rules.

The basics like hygiene, academics and no bullying are usually more than enough for a child with a stronger character.

Shoin, so I guess me, my siblings, my children, and most of my nieces and nephews are just platchig. Meanwhile, I think the more intelligent, the more likely to be calm, understand rules, understand normalcy, know what limits shouldn't be pushed, and engage in quiet ruiga activities.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:53 pm
nchr wrote:
So in a reality where derech eretz doesn't exist?

Derech eretz is a learning process. It exists on some level and then is built on as children grow.

crust

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:53 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Crying
My grandfather A"H used to say, "in Aushvitz is yeder geven voil." (In Aushwitz everyone was well-behaved.)

Yes. Circling back to my OP.
The Cantonists were voil too.

Anyone with a link to the article of the flies that are raised in a box and their mind is trained to fly only to the height of the box?

Once they're out of the box they are still unable to fly higher because they were indoctrinated that the box is the limit.

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:55 pm
nchr wrote:
Shoin, so I guess me, my siblings, my children, and most of my nieces and nephews are just platchig. Meanwhile, I think the more intelligent, the more likely to be calm, understand rules, understand normalcy, know what limits shouldn't be pushed, and engage in quiet ruiga activities.

Or you, your children, and your nieces and nephews are terrified to misbehave.
I don’t think intelligence is always correlated with Temperament and energy level.
I was a mixture as a kid. I understood rules so well that I understood how ridiculous they were and refused to follow. I did engage in calm activities on my own though such as reading or playing LEGO. I still don’t love being physically active.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:56 pm
If you say kids misbehaving in class is because of lack of chinuch and it's a reflection of mom, you are right the kids who misbehave in class are those who can't move at home & they let it off in the class bigtime, when they are out of the cage.

Saw it by my classmates, as well when I was a teacher, the strictest homes produced the most unruly kids in school, who needed therapy.

crust

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:56 pm
nchr wrote:

So all of them are the exact same personality types? That's even more fascinating.

Looks like a mini China to me. Or mini corporate America where people operate like robots.

Ps being platchig is very often the result of an oppressive chinuch.
Meaning, the children can originally be smart and gifted but their brains can't expand because of all the rules.

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:57 pm
Anyway, as we speak, I’m deliciously sprawled out on the couch (with my feet up) while my son is sprawled out and my three year old is climbing on both of us.

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 5:59 pm
Zehava wrote:
I’d much rather host her and have my kids teach hers a thing or two. Like the joys of couch-jusmping.

Oh no! She wouldn't take them back if you enlightened them!

crust

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:00 pm
Zehava wrote:
Or you, your children, and your nieces and nephews are terrified to misbehave.
I don’t think intelligence is always correlated with Temperament and energy level.
I was a mixture as a kid. I understood rules so well that I understood how ridiculous they were and refused to follow. I did engage in calm activities on my own though such as reading or playing LEGO. I still don’t love being physically active.

The bolded is probably true.

But all of them? All of them? Alll????!!!

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:02 pm
crust wrote:
So all of them are the exact same personality types? That's even more fascinating.

Looks like a mini China to me. Or mini corporate America where people operate like robots.

Ps being platchig is very often the result of an oppressive chinuch.
Meaning, the children can originally be smart and gifted but their brains can't expand because of all the rules.

My siblings and I are pretty much all the same in terms of temperament. With our children, it definitely varies. Some of us are brilliant, while some are "platchig" to use your word, but the calmer ones are generally smarter. I definitely associate wild behavior with negative traits, so maybe it is a bias that isn't allowing me to see the natural intelligence shine through.

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:02 pm
crust wrote:
The bolded is probably true.

But all of them? All of them? Alll????!!!

She did say most
I guess it’s possible if the punishments are severe enough

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:03 pm
nchr wrote:

Know what limits shouldn't be pushed? Out of fear of punishment

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:04 pm
The voila in Auschwitz died, the sly ones that found their way out or knew how to sneak food survived,

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

small bean

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:05 pm
What's platchig?

nchr

dankbar wrote:
The voila in Auschwitz died, the sly ones that found there way out or knew how to sneak food survived,

Comparing Cantonists or Auschwitz to variations in chinuch or to Yiddishkeit is obviously grossly exaggerated so I don't think the analogy is appropriate.

nchr

small bean wrote:
What's platchig?

In this context - dumb/stupid.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:10 pm
Zehava wrote:
Anyway, as we speak, I’m deliciously sprawled out on the couch (with my feet up) while my son is sprawled out and my three year old is climbing on both of us.

Page 218:
Your feet go down.
Son’s feet down. Shoulders straight. Chin up.
3 year old in same position.

nchr

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:12 pm
delete

Last edited by nchr on Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:12 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Page 218:
Your feet go down.
Son’s feet down. Shoulders straight. Chin up.
3 year old in same position.

I guess now I’ll know which rules I’m breaking

crust

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:13 pm
nchr wrote:
My siblings and I are pretty much all the same in terms of temperament. With our children, it definitely varies. Some of us are brilliant, while some are "platchig" to use your word, but the calmer ones are generally smarter. I definitely associate wild behavior with negative traits, so maybe it is a bias that isn't allowing me to see the natural intelligence shine through.

There's intelligence and there's personality.

I'm asking if all of them have the exact same personality type that makes them be so obedient.
Page 6 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics