Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
UPDATE site that looks awesome but is probably a scam oops
Previous  1  2  3

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:05 pm
FF, I'm with you 100%! I'm clueless when it comes to fashion. I buy almost all my clothing second hand at Goodwill and similar places. That's why I had no clue these things were too good to be true. I don't know what can be machine made or not, or what materials are needed, etc. I just wanted something pretty and colorful.

If somebody wants to buy a beautiful coat for $20, there ARE options. Machine-made, poorer quality options, perhaps. But there ARE pretty and colorful options.

If you want a custom designer coat for $20... it's gonna be a scam. I get it. My mistake was being ill-informed of the details and not searching out if the site was legit before I ordered.

I don't mean any disrespect to designers at all.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:10 pm
Rappel wrote:
On the topic of ethically made clothing:

Holyclothing.com is called that because their workers actually have good conditions, and their products are well made and consistent. What you see is what you get.

Kiwi, I know it's not exactly as funky as what you wanted to order before, but they're big on the Renaissance/Celtic look. Maybe you'll find something there you like.

Half my wardrobe is from there! I have a dress that is 25 years old, and it still looks brand new. Keep an eye out for coupons and sales. Very Happy

Darn Good Yarn has recycled sari skirts that are also fair trade. They are gorgeous!

Colourpop Cosmetics are vegan, cruelty free, made in America at legal wages, in a spotlessly clean facility. They've received numerous awards for their employee treatment. I emailed them once and asked them where they sourced their mica, because I was concerned about child labor. They sent me a copy of the invoice where they purchase it from, to prove that it came from a supervised source! (Not only that, but their products are extremely affordable, and there is free shipping.) Please support them. :-)

All of this adds up to tikkun olam. When you vote with your dollar, you make a difference.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:16 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect to designers at all.

No worries. I appreciate you being open to learning. That's the most important part.

You have no idea how much time and effort goes into making a high quality sweater, until you find out how much cashmere yarn costs, and how freakin' HARD it is to knit! I never did get the hang of it. I can't even make a pot holder.

I am a HUGE fan of Goodwill and other second hand shops. I wish that Israel had the same quality that I could find in the US. I can spot a silk blouse at 100 paces, and I'm a bloodhound when it comes to designer labels. It's almost like I can hear them calling me! LOL

Oh well, I seem to be spending more time in lockdown than anything else, and I live in my pajamas. It's not like I need to dress up and impress anyone these days. Wink

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:25 pm
FF you're hysterical!

Lately I've discovered my love for 100% cotton sweaters that are at least 2 sizes bigger than I need them. I'm completely serious. Earth tones. Total relaxed, comfortable Mom look. I feel like my best self. :-) Legit, I'm serious.

Also, Rappel... before you shared the holyclothing.com link I was unaware of my need for a viking cloak! Speaking of things that call you!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:34 pm
I have this coat https://holyclothing.com/colle.....kelly in purple, and it fits like a dream. It makes my waist look so tiny!

Being the big ol' hippie that I am, I always thought I'd fit in well in Tzfat. Too bad that you have to climb stairs uphill both ways in order to get anywhere. My knees are not what they used to be.

Anyone else here miss Grateful Dead concerts? I still have my tie dyes. Cool

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:50 pm
Gonna delete pix of my face in 24 hours, but Purim and Renaissance fairs are where I express that colorful part of me that doesn’t come out much the rest of the year Very Happy

Photos removed

Last edited by bigsis144 on Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 6:52 pm
Love! You are both adorable kah Smile Raising them well with bow and blade!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:01 pm
We are all nerds in my house Very Happy
Photo removed

Last edited by bigsis144 on Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:06 pm
I love Bernadette Banner’s youtube channel.

This seems like a relevant video to share. The politest rant ever:

cbsp

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:11 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Gonna delete pix of my face in 24 hours, but Purim and Renaissance fairs are where I express that colorful part of me that doesn’t come out much the rest of the year Very Happy

This is me liking your post twice (sans pix. Maybe also delete from imgur as well?)

And your baby with the sword (freshly pulled from a stone?) YUM 💖❤️😍

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:22 pm
Omg big sis I would totally be friends IRL. I always liked you. It's wonderful seeing your face. Your kids are soooo cute! I went to fairs growing up but sadly they don't exist in Israel as far as I know.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:29 pm
I totally missed this thread. This stuff is totally my vibe.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 7:57 pm
Aww, thanks for the kind words, y’all! I love you too 🤗

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:21 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Aww, thanks for the kind words, y’all! I love you too 🤗

KINDRED SPIRITS! Back in the day, I used to do a lot of SCA stuff, as well as steampunk LARP.

Thanks for sharing the pics. They really made me smile. Very Happy

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:54 pm
BigSis the picture are adorable!! Love the style:)SmileSmile

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:01 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I love Bernadette Banner’s youtube channel.

This seems like a relevant video to share. The politest rant ever:

I've watched this before also-love the "actual roast" Laugh

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:30 am
See OP for final update.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics