Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Acceptance in Lakewood
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:39 am
Are all the girl's schools already full? I called 4 schools and each told me that they are full . I applied right away and now seem stuck. Any guidance would be helpful in which schools still have space.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:40 am
In the entire world? Kidding. You should put location in your thread title.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:42 am
Where do you live? I'm guessing Lakewood?
Most schools will give you a no. You need to fight your way in and use any pull you have.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:44 am
Corrected it. .Yes Lakewood . Does anyone know of schools still giving interviews or any guidance on how to get an interview?

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:47 am
Which schools have you applied to? What kind of school are you looking for?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:50 am
Normal frum..applied to Bais Tova,Meoros ,Tiferes and Bais Faiga .Husband is working after five years in Kollel..white shirt, etc I dress with it but always covered .

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:51 am
My niece was the 30th child accepted to a class last year. You know what I told the principal? I know you're full, so what are the options? Child #31 goes to public school? (she got in when another child's parents opted to put her back in kindergarten).

At the end of the day, your child needs to go to school. You need to get people to advocate for you - your relatives, your neighbors, the Vaad, and your Rav. Speak to them and ask them to help get your child into school.

It may not be a quick process so strengthen yourself however you can, daven, and have patience. B"EH your child will get into school.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Normal frum..applied to Bais Tova,Meoros ,Tiferes and Bais Faiga .Husband is working after five years in Kollel..white shirt, etc I dress with it but always covered .

Try some of the newer schools too. 3 of the 4 schools you applied to are old and get full on siblings.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Normal frum is all relative...
Those are all very difficult schools to get into. It may be worth looking into some newer schools, but even those fill up quickly.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:53 am
Those are all older established schools and you’re not getting in without pull. They’re full from siblings and alumni. Apply to some newer schools.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:55 am
Chayalle wrote:
My niece was the 30th child accepted to a class last year. You know what I told the principal? I know you're full, so what are the options? Child #31 goes to public school? (she got in when another child's parents opted to put her back in kindergarten).

At the end of the day, your child needs to go to school. You need to get people to advocate for you - your relatives, your neighbors, the Vaad, and your Rav. Speak to them and ask them to help get your child into school.

It may not be a quick process so strengthen yourself however you can, daven, and have patience. B"EH your child will get into school.

We were trying to get my daughter into a school for fourth grade (switched from another). One school we spoke to had 29 girls.. I didn’t want her to be the 30th. It’s true what you say.. but do they just keep going? My son had almost 30 in his class. He is a very smart kid and told me it was hard and he didn’t always get the help he needed in class because there were just too many boys.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:55 am
Oh, figured I was doing that with Meoros but guess its already an old school.

keym

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:57 am
Try
Shiras Chaim- more on the yeshivish side, has at least a 7th grade
Moreshes
Bnos Orchos Chaim
Bnos Tzippa- smaller
Shiras Bais Yaakov- very new

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:58 am
These threads make me so sad. Bais Faiga and tiferes aren’t taking newcomers unless it’s a vaad slot. Bais Tova was taking a few years back because they wanted a more yeshivish crowd, but op’s husband is no longer in learning and they were going after long term learners or klei kodesh. So the only school op applied for that she actually had a shot at was meoros and one school isn’t enough.

I hear this kind of story a lot. Seems as though there should be some way to let those new to Lakewood know which schools are worth applying.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:00 am
Bais tova, tiferes and bais faiga are next to impossible if you're not a sibling or alumni or very very well connected. Even then I know of alumni who waited until the summer before school for an acceptance.

Meoros is a younger but between it's incoming kindergarten and siblings and those who have been calling pull since last summer they fill up quickly. It might be worth it to try all your pull there and see if there are any slots left.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
We were trying to get my daughter into a school for fourth grade (switched from another). One school we spoke to had 29 girls.. I didn’t want her to be the 30th. It’s true what you say.. but do they just keep going? My son had almost 30 in his class. He is a very smart kid and told me it was hard and he didn’t always get the help he needed in class because there were just too many boys.

You were switching from another school, so presumably you had a place to begin with. This child was sitting at home while other kids were getting onto the school bus.

(they tried other school who weren't up to #30 too....)

But yes, it's a problem, the class sizes are too big. We need more schools, no question.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:03 am
Chayalle wrote:

But yes, it's a problem, the class sizes are too big. We need more schools, no question.
The problem is the new schools that end up closing their doors.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:07 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

sometimes because not enough people will send to them.

(not blaming anyone, it's so much easier to send your child to an established school where you know what you are getting to some extent....)

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:08 am
I had as much pull as it gets for BF, including both my husband and I being alumni and a gadol hador calling for us. We probably could have gotten in had we waited for school to start and then we could have cried we have no place ... but we didn’t want to do that to our daughter. My point is start now and push into another school. Don’t try for BF, they just literally don’t have the space. I know alumni with even bigger connections than we had and families with huge Yichus who couldn’t get in.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

I don’t think it’s common in Lakewood unless there is some other huge issue. Schools are needed too badly.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics