Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
BEDTIME! AHH! 6YO WONT STAY IN BED

thegiver

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:17 am
My darling 6yo keeps getting out of bed. I don't want the last memory of each day to be negative and punitive. How do you help you child change this negative behavior and stop banging and trying to get attention? Wrong place wrong time. I'm sure he wants to bond at the end of the day but I'm exhausted! And I still have loads to do for next hour or more. How do you create that peaceful serene tucking in scene without the child running out of bed and taking advantage of the love and attention you give him. (When I come is when he starts acting out...)

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:00 am
unfortunately I can't help you. But I put my 6-year-old to bed in his room every single night and buy the morning he's in his teenage sister's room.I told her that she should start locking him out and then he won't do it anymore but she loves him too much to do that. If He were coming to my room there is no way he would get away with it. and he's such a teenager that doesn't want to get up in the morning or go to bed at night. It got much worse with coronavirus when we were all on such a messed up schedule.

Lizzie4

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:57 am
Story tapes.

Rabbi juravel is great!

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:00 am
Have a bed ritual every night and when he goes out to bed pick him up, carry him to bed give him a kiss and repeat this till he knows he can't win.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:29 am
Melatonin changed our lives when my son took it - no he’s not addicted - used a tiny amount for a couple years, and he doesn’t anymore.

lovemymom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 6:44 am
What helped with my daughter was getting her a prize after a week of going to bed nicely. Sbe was so excited for it that she listened the whole week.
Every night I told her that if she wants to talk more we can do it in the morning etc. After she got the prize she still listens

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Melatonin changed our lives when my son took it - no he’s not addicted - used a tiny amount for a couple years, and he doesn’t anymore.

THIS. He may be so overtired that he doesn't know what to do with himself. Some kids just need a little more help than others.

Once DD found out what it was like to fall asleep peacefully, and wake up happy, she was a new kid.

Around a half an hour before bedtime, she'd tell me "Mama, I need my pill." I gave her 1/2 of 1mg, so a really tiny dose. We'd have pajamas, story time, snuggles, bedtime Shema, and she'd be out like a light for the rest of the night.

She slowly weaned herself off, as she got older and was able to regulate her own sleep patterns.

keym

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:40 am
I sit at the door of the bedroom and fold laundry or some other chore. This way they can see me. Sometimes I'll sing, or story tapes.
I find it really helps them settle down and relax enough to fall asleep

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:06 am
I had this and nothing helped. It's easier now because it's dark outside and feels late. Also, because there is a lot of playing in the bedroom after supper in pjs.
So what ended up working, in addition to the above, is a tape. My kids know the story of Chanukah inside out Smile That's the one they like the most. My daughter comes out once to use the bathroom, and then falls asleep.

But I feel you. Until this week I was tearing my hair out in frustration.

thegiver

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:39 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Have a bed ritual every night and when he goes out to bed pick him up, carry him to bed give him a kiss and repeat this till he knows he can't win.

I can hardly pick up a 20 lb baby

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:45 pm
Take 2 minutes before bed to do Story Of The Day, where you go over everything that happened that day. Ask what his favorite parts and least favorite part of the day were. Ask what he’s excited for tomorrow.
Get a stuffed animal, and give it 5 hugs and 5 kisses and say “I left some hugs and kisses with the bear. You can take them at any time during the night when you need”.
Leave door open a crack, and maybe do something like fold laundry at the door if he needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics