Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Frum enviromentalist?
Previous  1  2  3  4

mo5

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:55 am
youngishbear wrote:
Some people are overwhelmed by their responsibilities and consider disposables a gift from Hashem for maintaining their sanity; a necessary expense.

Re cost plus sanity.
Owning 2 dishwashers paid off.
One for milchig gets filled each day with hard plastic cups on top and everything else people use a paper or plastic plate for on bottom.
It’s cheaper than paper goods

youngishbear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:06 am
mo5 wrote:
Re cost plus sanity.
Owning 2 dishwashers paid off.
One for milchig gets filled each day with hard plastic cups on top and everything else people use a paper or plastic plate for on bottom.
It’s cheaper than paper goods

And takes up space people don't have. Most people I know don't have a single dishwasher; never mind two.

A second trash can for recycling takes up valuable kitchen space.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:57 am
andrea levy wrote:
We also do crazy things like saving the juices from cooking meat for soup.
.)

That’s not crazy. Every great chef does that. Emeril Lagasse and I have this in common, if nothing else.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:11 am
zaq wrote:

How do people not realize that non-disposables are cheaper in the long run?

There are 2 kinds of people in the world - those with more time and those with more money.

If you and DH are working full time and have 6 kids is it cheaper to use disposables or pay a cleaning lady to wash dishes every day?

Right now it's just me and DH and we aren't working full time - we can wash dishes. I expect there will be points in our lives where we simply cannot do dishes so if buying plastic is cheaper than paying someone to wash dishes - plastic we go!

Teomima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 7:26 am
It's all a matter of state of mind. In many ways it's similar to the idea of switching to a plant based diet: when you're frum and used to fish and chicken soup and chollent all in the same meal and then someone comes along and says they don't eat any of those things, it's incredibly hard to imagine what they might actually eat. Same with the idea of the frum (or any!) families that use disposables and/or throw out organic waste and/or don't recycle and/or use other single use plastics such as plastic water bottles, straws, etc.

The truth is it's really not that hard to make the switch, but it seems overwhelming to people who aren't used to it, and this feels like an insurmountable challenge (thus all the threads on the NY plastic bag ban).

Last edited by Teomima on Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Except for disposable plastics....

Im married to a reduce reuse recycle man 25 years. I did get concession to use disposable napkins, but not silverware dishes or glasses. If Im having an outdoor BBQ of 10+ ppl total, or indoors more than 20 ppl, he conceded I can do plasticware.
He helps wash. I conceded to compost, recycle and buy used.

BTW, true environmentalists would argue having a large family is in itself wasteful.

I've had family members tell me the Torah says the world is for us to use, disposables are created for us to fill landfills.

Yes, disposables and yom tov...I use so many pans. Yes, I still line with parchment paper so why not just use non disposable. But a) the volume, for storage, and b) I don't have to clean, because even with lining pans can get yucky.
And I LOVE plastic bags, like zipper bags.
Non-disposable might be cheaper but the convenience makes spending a few extra dollars around yom tov a no-brainer for me.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:58 am
Abi6 wrote:
I met a frum lady recently who mentioned that she attempts to minimize her carbon footprint as much as possible.'She tries to walk when possible,if not she drives her Tesla which is powered by her solar panels.
She never uses plastic,and is horrified that frum people would oppose the bag tax.
She had many insightful things to say.I am wondering why this is not the popular opinion among most of the frum community.
Obviously I understand that we cant let it disrupt our lives, but why is it so looked down on to be more mindful of our pollution habits?
Not nervous that our planet will disappear but you cant deny the bad effect of plastic and such on our environment.

As per the bolded, nothing to do with trying to helping the planet, it has to do with the government in our business.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:28 am
LovesHashem wrote:
There are 2 kinds of people in the world - those with more time and those with more money.

If you and DH are working full time and have 6 kids is it cheaper to use disposables or pay a cleaning lady to wash dishes every day?

Right now it's just me and DH and we aren't working full time - we can wash dishes. I expect there will be points in our lives where we simply cannot do dishes so if buying plastic is cheaper than paying someone to wash dishes - plastic we go!

DH and I both work f/t and with four kids at home and no cleaning lady we still managed to wash dishes.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:45 am
zaq wrote:
DH and I both work f/t and with four kids at home and no cleaning lady we still managed to wash dishes.

So that clearly means that everyone else should be able to manage it, too, because you did.

Rolling Eyes

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:49 am
No it means people should actually try it instead of assuming they have no choice but to use disposables. Children are capable of washing dishes, too, and from a much younger age than you would think.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:43 am
Hate to dig up old threads here but for all those condemning disposables do you also not buy new clothing? Seriously curious.

The fashion industry is anything but green.

Another place where poor frum families may be more green is buying less clothing.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:48 am
very seldom. dh and I wear clothes till they're practically threadbare, I repair them for as long as possible, then I make them into cleaning rags or tear them up to use for purim costumes or craft projects.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:14 am
Tesla, real dishes, but also beautiful brand new clothing every season.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:16 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Hate to dig up old threads here but for all those condemning disposables do you also not buy new clothing? Seriously curious.

Another place where poor frum families may be more green is buying less clothing.

Second hand clothing has gotten popular. A lot of frum people here in Monsey shop for clothes at Kupas Ezra which is a thrift shop. There are always lots of cars in the Goodwill parking lot. I don't think that most frum Jews throw away wearable clothing. I see a lot of giveaways on WhatsApp.
It's true that the apparel industry is a big source of pollution.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:19 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

I don’t think that’s true.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:29 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:08 am
imasoftov wrote:
Even if clothing came out of solar-powered nonpolluting matter synthesizers that used no material because you had to throw in old clothes to make new ones, I wouldn't replace clothing each season unless there were new styles that were better in some material way (like if there was a new way to make coats that are easier to find where each arms goes or shoes that never give you blisters, and turn into boots when it rains). Even if it became so easy to do this that people no longer washed clothes, they had them reassembled when they got dirty, and you had to jailbreak the machine to get it to reassemble the clothes the way they were before rather than in new styles, I'd do that.

Even if that ruined the meme about normal being a setting on the washing machine.

A lot of people my age may still be wearing clothes that are older than some of the posters on this site.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I don’t think that’s true.

Maybe they are not really that poor. I (from poor family) as a child rarely went shopping and the first stop always was the thrift shop. I still do that even though I can afford bh because it's just not a need. Unless I misunderstood what you meant was not true.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:45 am
Now with Covid disposables are the way to go as more hygienic. Sad reality.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:53 am
southernbubby wrote:
A lot of people my age may still be wearing clothes that are older than some of the posters on this site.

No question about that! I have a sweater that my aunt knitted in 1947; a pile of scarves that she passed along to me in the early 1970s, some of which may date back to the 1950s or 40s; a fancy skirt I bought secondhand in 1976; a vest my mother handed down to me in 1979; a bunch of things I bought when I started working the early 1980s; and countless stuff I bought secondhand in the early 2000s, no telling when they were made. I own an evening bag bought in 1971 and several that were my mother's that may be older still.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics