Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Eggs in cholent - I need help!
Previous  1  2

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:51 am
Still am not clear.
If using a crockpot how to put eggs in.
should I rinse them with water first?
Then put them in with rest of ingredients on either high or low for full time?
Or later?
Do they need to be fully cooked before shabbos?
Can someone please clarify?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:55 am
artsy wrote:
Still am not clear.
If using a crockpot how to put eggs in.
should I rinse them with water first?
Then put them in with rest of ingredients on either high or low for full time?
Or later?
Do they need to be fully cooked before shabbos?
Can someone please clarify?

Prepare your cholent. Don't fill the crockpot fully, since you need some room for the eggs.

Wash the shells of some raw eggs. Lower them into your cholent. Leave to cook over shabbos. They will turn brown. Some of my family likes them.

Shabbos day, remove them from cholent with a spoon. Peel under running cold water.

LifesBliss

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:00 am
I peel my eggs and put them in a sandwich bag tied with a single not. Then I make some slits with a knife on the bottom of the bag and add it to my cholent. Comes out perfect and delicious each time.

gonewiththewind1

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:21 am
I put raw eggs in a mesh bag after the cholent has cooked an hour and cook it together.
I think according to halacha you need to put at least 3 eggs.
רוב בצים אין בהם דם

ces

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:29 am
ra_mom wrote:
Prepare your cholent. Don't fill the crockpot fully, since you need some room for the eggs.

Wash the shells of some raw eggs. Lower them into your cholent. Leave to cook over shabbos. They will turn brown. Some of my family likes them.

Shabbos day, remove them from cholent with a spoon. Peel under running cold water.

Eggs are a large solid object and should not be put under cold water on Shabbos unless you let them cool off first (of course AYLOR)

I sometimes cook in the shell and peel with gloves, it's delicious and soft and creamy. Sometimes I peel before Shabbos, then I don't have to deal with peeling hot eggs and it's a darker color and stronger flavor. Just make sure it's completely submerged or there will be hard spots (which my kids love and fight over, go figure). Raw eggs can be put in when you start your cholent or right before Shabbos. Peeled eggs should be right before Shabbos. I use them in egg salad just as I would use regular hard boiled eggs. I serve "white" and "brown" egg salad every Shabbos.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:54 am
I put raw eggs in a mesh bag and put it in the chalont when I put it up on Friday morning.

blueberry6

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:29 am
I put them in raw on Friday afternoon whenever I remember. I don't know that it's such an exact science.... and they come out delicious and brown and yum. I take 'em out, peel and mash them, and mix with some oil, salt and pepper. Yum. Seriously my favorite Shabbos food, probably LOL though it's a close tie with the cholent!

ez-pass

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:05 pm
Just put in some raw eggs before Shabbos and forget about them. Always cooks perfectly.

jkl

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:08 pm
ces wrote:
Eggs are a large solid object and should not be put under cold water on Shabbos unless you let them cool off first (of course AYLOR)

I sometimes cook in the shell and peel with gloves, it's delicious and soft and creamy. Sometimes I peel before Shabbos, then I don't have to deal with peeling hot eggs and it's a darker color and stronger flavor. Just make sure it's completely submerged or there will be hard spots (which my kids love and fight over, go figure). Raw eggs can be put in when you start your cholent or right before Shabbos. Peeled eggs should be right before Shabbos. I use them in egg salad just as I would use regular hard boiled eggs. I serve "white" and "brown" egg salad every Shabbos.

How do you peel them then? If you don't put them under running cold water, the shell becomes impossible to remove.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:21 pm
Why is everyone saying to do an odd number of eggs? I never cook eggs, only scrambled. I know my mother once told me to do this, too, if I would ever make hard boiled eggs, but didn't know the source.

ces

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:09 pm
jkl wrote:
How do you peel them then? If you don't put them under running cold water, the shell becomes impossible to remove.

They peel fine. The issue is that they're hot, gloves make it manageable. My kids like it do it for me.

cholentfan1

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 4:11 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Why is everyone saying to do an odd number of eggs? I never cook eggs, only scrambled. I know my mother once told me to do this, too, if I would ever make hard boiled eggs, but didn't know the source.

There's a thing about how if one egg would have a bloodspot, then the pan would become treif, so you should always have an odd number to ensure there is a majority that are okay.

5BH

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 4:49 pm
It's the easiest thing to do! Just put eggs straight in the crockpot when you put up the cholent. It doesn't have to be an odd amount just has to be at least three. In case 1 has a blood spot it's Batul Birov.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics