Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Lady during COVID?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:03 am
Is anyone else not having a cleaning lady this whole time because of COVID concerns?
Everyone else I know is going about their business and not concerned.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:06 am
We dont have a cleaning lady, but if we did we wouldnt have during these covid times.
If it makes you feel better, I love having guests for shabbos meals, and we still arent having anyone...

amother
Aubergine

We are not having our cleaning service back yet. Ours was just a weekly clean, 2-3 people in our home for 1-2 hours. I think the risk would not be high, but we don't mind waiting a while longer.

amother
Violet

Me

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:25 am
Legitimately trying to understand why having a cleaning lady feels like more of a threat than being with someone else at a grocery or working. You can have her wear a mask. She’s cleaning up germs etc

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Legitimately trying to understand why having a cleaning lady feels like more of a threat than being with someone else at a grocery or working. You can have her wear a mask. She’s cleaning up germs etc

It's not about whether something is more or less of a threat. Exposure is cumulative. More exposure is worse, less is better. The fact that so many people don't understand this is part of the problem.

We are selective and strategic about the exposure we choose. Our kids attend a school that enforces distancing and masking, which is higher risk than a weekly cleaning. Education and socialization are very important to us. Cleaning our house is a very small sacrifice, which we don't mind. Picking up groceries curbside is also a very small inconvenience to us. So even though I consider grocery shopping a low risk exposure, we usually pick up curbside. We avoid the things that are easy to avoid, even if they are low risk. Reducing our total exposure protects not only us, but it reduces the chances that our school (which is very important to us) will need to close.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:00 am
Mine is here since.... I’m not afraid

fleetwood

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:11 am
Haven't had mine since before purim. I don't want strangers in my house if I can help it.

simcha2

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:24 am
fleetwood wrote:
Haven't had mine since before purim. I don't want strangers in my house if I can help it.

Same. We're still paying her.

My house is a wreck.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:30 am
We’ve had one back since June. Bh I have a large house. She’s usually in a different floor than me. In fact, I often run errands out of the house when she’s here. She also often times wears a mask. I have a very hard time functioning without cleaning help. It’s a risk/reward ratio in my mind.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

Because its about the total exposure. You need a certain ammount of viral load to be infected, and its directyl tied to whether you simply passed somebody in the grocery, or had prolonged exposure. "Prolonged exposure" doesnt usually happen when youre in a grocery store, but a cleaning lady in your house definitely is

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:35 am
Mine came back at the end of the summer, but with cases rising we might have to start doing without again.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:40 am
We stopped having cleaning help in March and started again in August. I can anticipate stopping again soon, though.
She is here for 5 hours every 2 weeks. I change the sheets myself, which is something she used to do. She wears a mask, I leave windows open in every room, and she comes when kids are in school and DH and I can make ourselves scarce. Depending on when she leaves and when everybody is coming home, I often run through the house spraying Lysol before the kids come back home.
I have also had to have a plumber and electrician in my house. They were masked and gloved, windows open, and I kept my distance.

fleetwood

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:05 am
simcha2 wrote:
Same. We're still paying her.

My house is a wreck.

You're awesome! We've all been home( red zone) so I divide up the rooms and do a little each day.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:09 am
Essential worker here
Wouldn’t be able to do that without her

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is anyone else not having a cleaning lady this whole time because of COVID concerns?
Everyone else I know is going about their business and not concerned.

Yes I’m not allowing mine to come because I don’t believe they’d ever tell u if they’re having symptoms and even if don’t have symptoms some people can have the virus... it’s just too dangerous, her touching everything etc.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:10 am
We stopped in March, she came back in June. She wears a mask, I leave the house when she comes, if anyone else is home, they stay on a different floor while she's there. She would tell me if she had symptoms.

Jewishmom8

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 1:52 pm
I stopped having one in march and I am starting again this week
3 hours a week.
I just cant' do it all, and now with most of my kids in school and out of the house... I just decided for myself to have her come.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 2:16 pm
I am the cleaning lady for an elderly lady with very advanced COPD, so in a super high risk group. Last March I asked her what she wanted me to do, and she said she couldn't cope without me, so I'd better carry on coming. I don't wear a mask at her house and she doesn't either. The one time I knew I was exposed I didn't go that week. Never had symptoms to tell her about, and so far we are both doing great.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 4:21 pm
I've had mine straight through. During the height of the pandemic, she was only working at my house in two other houses, both of which were empty while she worked (we were home). She's careful as she comes and goes, and life cannot stop. I have several children, one of whom is medically delicate, and dh and I are both under 40. My kids went back to camp this summer (with permission from said child's cardiologist), and my kids have been meeting all over town with their classes since succos. The virus has a 98% survival rate. Life can't stop.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics