Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Over 30 years old-How often to you replace your clothes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 10:56 am
I get the impression here that anything in your closet for more than 6 months is not new and anything older than 5 years is very old and should be burned. Now obviously kids who are growing need new clothes, because old ones don't fit. How often am I supposed to get rid of my stuff? My size doesn't change, (at least it didn't until COVID), I keep it in excellent condition, and I wear it for years. I consider anything in the last 3 years to be new, and still wear Shabbos clothes for 15 years ago-actually my teen DD just borrowed it. Is there something wrong with me?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:05 am
No! When it wears out or gets stained, I let it go. When it fits but goes drastically out if style, or I'm not in the mood for it for a long time, I put it away. I'm am now pulling out sweaters from the 80's and 90's that have been hibernating and are now perfect for what's being worn. Classics, I wear as long as they fit, ten years, etc.

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:10 am
Very often thanks to my constant dieting battle 👿

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:15 am
It depends. On the brand, and where you shop. How often you launder. Lots of clothing just doesn't last that long. 5 years is pretty good for something to last. But I don't shop in very high end places. I don't expect my clothes to last that long.
Also, you can't compare a sweater made in the 80s to one made nowadays. Things are made more cheaply nowadays and don't last that long.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:18 am
I only get rid of things that are ruined or that I have grown to dislike so much that I won't even wear them at home.

I wear out dress flats pretty rapidly, probably every 9-12 months, because I walk a lot during Shabbos. But everything else in my wardrobe lasts years. Athletic wear can last forever. I still wear a bunch of sports wear from when I was in high school, and I am 38. It fits tighter, but fine for exercise in private.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:29 am
Im still wearing certain outfits that are 10 years old. If it looks fresh and not worn out, and complements me when I wear it, I keep it. So long as I feel confident while wearing it, it stays.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:31 am
My shul clothing lasts a very long time. I wear a shell and a slip, the clothing doesn't touch my body, I'm not getting it stained or sweaty so they don't need to be washed or dry cleaned often.
That helps preserve them.
Blouses don't last as long because the laundering is what ages them.

My oldest item that I have worn every year without fail besides winter pregnancies is more than 25 years old. It is a classic wool straight below the knee but still tznius black skirt that I think was made in the USA. They don't make clothes in that quality anymore, and if they do, it would probably cost several hundred dollars.

I wear classic styles, and have done so since I was 30. I may never be the height of style but I know what looks good on me and I am never out of style either. I have broken up my matching suits into separates, but a well fitting jacket is much more flattering on me than many more current styles.
My daughters survived their teenagerhood being related me, so I guess I'm okay. It also helps that I live in a very down to earth community where no one really cares what you wear.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:37 am
Every season but I like shopping . You do you.

trixx

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:41 am
Can I reply if I'm under 30?

I don't get rid of clothing unless I outgrew the style (as in decided its now too juvenile or doesn't suit me). I don't shop based on trend, I buy clothing in my cut and style and will buy even if I don't fit into it, like a maternity dress that I know will look good even if I'm not pregnant or vice versa a nursing dress while I'm pregnant.

By now I have a few wardrobe (regular size, maternity, early maternity, early nursing 24/7 access) and some includes pieces from when I was single.

As I get better at my style I might switch things out but I'm definitely not a seasonal shopper.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Do you switch over an entire wardrobe every season, or you keep the old but add in a few current pieces?

silverlining3

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:10 pm
I like minimum 1 new thing per season, it's refreshing.

Otherwise, as long as I like/enjoy wearing them and they fit, I wear it..
I have plenty from my wedding still that I love, but sadly don't fit. I actually had my sister come shopping in my closet and took some with her. I'm happy someone I know has use of it.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:15 pm
I buy tons of new clothes because I love shopping but barely wear any of it. Everyone should just do what makes them happy.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:21 pm
This thread is fascinating to me. Probably because I really don’t hold on to anything (aspiring minimalist) and as soon as it’s too small, slightly ruined, outdated or I get bored of it it goes out. I also prefer to shop yearly buying new stuff for cheap then less expensive pieces.

The oldest things I have is 4 years old. Maternity clothes. All my clothes from pre-marriage and sheva brachos are long gone. They will never fit again. Except a few shells, maybe.

Edited- I’m not yet 30

Last edited by SuperWify on Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:25 pm
I wear clothing forever regardless if it was cheap or expensive. .
The funny thing is a lot of old items I have are coming back into style.
I have a close relative who used to make me beautiful clothing years ago. Over the years It was very dated but because it was so sentimental I packed it in the back of my closet. I’m laughing at how much is back in now - Brown, plaids, pleats. I just hope it wasn’t eaten (real wool).

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:27 pm
sky wrote:
I wear clothing forever regardless if it was cheap or expensive. .
The funny thing is a lot of old items I have are coming back into style.
I have a close relative who used to make me beautiful clothing years ago. Over the years It was very dated but because it was so sentimental I packed it in the back of my closet. I’m laughing at how much is back in now - Brown, plaids, pleats. I just hope it wasn’t eaten (real wool).

But how much closet space do you have??

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Exactly I would find it very tedious to need to update my wardrobe that often...and it probably looks it.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:30 pm
Holding onto classics doesn't make my closets smashed full. I have let go of items that weren't really hits, as in they were not as flattering as I thought, or they had lived a long life and were no longer looking fresh. Or had shoulder pads.

I don't enjoy shopping and even more so when after a day of shopping I leave the stores liking the clothes in my closet more than what I've seen in the stores.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:31 pm
SuperWify wrote:
This thread is fascinating to me. Probably because I really don’t hold on to anything (aspiring minimalist) and as soon as it’s too small, slightly ruined, outdated or I get bored of it it goes out. I also prefer to shop yearly buying new stuff for cheap then less expensive pieces.

The oldest things I have is 4 years old. Maternity clothes. All my clothes from pre-marriage and sheva brachos are long gone. They will never fit again. Except a few shells, maybe.

Too small is only if you constantly gain lol. My weight fluctuates. Something that I wore last year, may not fit this year, but maybe will next year.

Shells is the most often replaced item in my wardrobe.

But hey, you're definitely inspiring me to do some decluttering after Shabbas. Surely have many things that need to see the dumpster.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:31 pm
SuperWify wrote:
But how much closet space do you have??

Almost none. I live in a teeny tiny home with a nice sized family bH. I have them packed in garment bags and squeezed in the side of my closet.

I wish I was a minimalist my home would be much more manageable. I love the item and it makes me happy and I’m sure I’ll use it one day. Can't Believe It

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:35 pm
sky wrote:
Almost none. I live in a teeny tiny home with a nice sized family bH. I have them packed in garment bags and squeezed in the side of my closet.

I wish I was a minimalist my home would be much more manageable. I love the item and it makes me happy and I’m sure I’ll use it one day. Can't Believe It

Oh wow!

I always imagined the people that gave clothes from 30 years ago have closets that are the size of a room- like my mil. She says she has a personal shop in her house.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics