Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Please help me convince my child to homeschool
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 11:59 am
My child is a half day student upon the school's encouragement. He learns 1:1 general studies at home in the afternoon. I wasn't a fan in the beginning, but it's actually going really well!

behappy2

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what do I do about the phone calls and assignments and recess being docked and bathroom "privileges"

Do I just suck it up? Let him suffer the consequences even if it really is excessive?

I think he is big enough. You need to have a very frank discussion with him. If you go to school you may be unfairly punished. Is that a risk you want to take? If you change your mind at any time know that I am here for you.

P.s. it's not just your school. Many of us are dealing with it. And yes, it stinks.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel the same way. That's why I'm looking to make a compromise of staying for the better half if the day.

If the school will allow it and switching schools is a non-option, I actually think your compromise sounds reasonable. To me it would depend on just how bad the limudei chol was. If the kids are not learning what they need to be learning, then that is not something I would accept just for social reasons.

Can you offer your child more social time after school or on Shabbos or Sunday?

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:23 pm
Can you become the replacement teacher? You mentioned that the other kids want to learn with you too.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what do I do about the phone calls and assignments and recess being docked and bathroom "privileges"

Do I just suck it up? Let him suffer the consequences even if it really is excessive?

YES! You gave your son the option of missing the "consequences" and he chose his friends
over the consequences.

It is not so terrible for kids to learn to cope with unpleasant situations. It sounds like your son
can handle it.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:31 pm
Regarding school work - get your son lots of good reading material - both fiction and non-fiction.

Books are much better than magazines. Avoid graphic novels (comic book).

Chaim Walder Kid Speak series is excellent. There are "encyclopedia" type books - Amazing Facts.

There is a website KosherBooks that lists secular books that have been pre-screened and deemed
acceptable to many.

Make sure to do math homework with him. If he doesn't have any - ask the school to give you
an extra math workbook to do with him at home.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:44 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
YES! You gave your son the option of missing the "consequences" and he chose his friends
over the consequences.

It is not so terrible for kids to learn to cope with unpleasant situations. It sounds like your son
can handle it.

Agree. It actually doesn't sound that is that unpleasant if he is adamant about staying. Sounds like actually enjoys it and is happy. Maybe you are projecting your feelings onto the situation and seeing it as worse than it really is

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:50 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Just so you understand a little on the flip side. Boys classroom is run very different than girls classroom.

My husband is an English teacher and he tries really hard to get a lot of work done with the kids.
The school has an excellent curriculum. He really tries to have complete control but it can get difficult.

On his rough days the boys can get rowdy and his tough students can disrupt the class

The way they discipline is waaay different when women teachers discipline.

I would say speak with your son and teacher.

I taught in this school. I taught all of these boys. It's not being handled well. I have intimate knowledge. They've been begging me to come back and teach as I'm one teacher they won't need to worry about...

And you're right boys and girls are different. And I love my boys ❤️

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:04 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Regarding school work - get your son lots of good reading material - both fiction and non-fiction.

Chaim Walder Kid Speak series is excellent. There are "encyclopedia" type books - Amazing Facts.

There is a website KosherBooks that lists secular books that have been pre-screened and deemed
acceptable to many.

Make sure to do math homework with him. If he doesn't have any - ask the school to give you

Thanks BB

BH he reads everything. Books. Magazines. Comic books. Encyclopedias lol

Thinking of just enrolling him in an online tutor program for math.

As an aside. I realized he's an excellent writer as he has to write so many essays as a punishment. lol ...

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:13 pm
How about having him come home every other day? Although too many absences might get him kicked out all together.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:52 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

acceptable to many.

Thanks BB

BH he reads everything. Books. Magazines. Comic books. Encyclopedias lol

Thinking of just enrolling him in an online tutor program for math.

As an aside. I realized he's an excellent writer as he has to write so many essays as a punishment. lol ...

chestnut

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes and they're learning some interesting things on the bus ride ... 🥴

They can learn the same things in school during recess or when hanging out after school

Frenchfry

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:23 pm
I did this with two kids. It helped that I pulled them out young, before they started enjoying the "fun".

Bribery! A big prize that'll make him socially popular (think expensive bike, hoverboard, whatever). Or even a "feild" trip every few weeks

Include some sort of extra curricular in what he comes home for. Like he does math, English and music or art or something he enjoys.
Point out that of he comes home early, he will be spending much less time on schoolwork, because it's so much faster to get work done of he works one on one with you.

Another poster's idea of twice a week might work, he night realize that it's so much better to be at home, that he'll want to.

Finally..... How about if you find a friend or get to join? (The school might be none to happy with that).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:29 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
I did this with two kids. It helped that I pulled them out young, before they started enjoying the "fun".

Bribery! A big prize that'll make him socially popular (think expensive bike, hoverboard, whatever). Or even a "feild" trip every few weeks

Include some sort of extra curricular in what he comes home for. Like he does math, English and music or art or something he enjoys.
Point out that of he comes home early, he will be spending much less time on schoolwork, because it's so much faster to get work done of he works one on one with you.

Another poster's idea of twice a week might work, he night realize that it's so much better to be at home, that he'll want to.

Finally..... How about if you find a friend or get to join? (The school might be none to happy with that).

Thank you! Il going to try this.

mfb

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:38 pm
You mig he want to let the teacher know that you expect him to know exactly why your child was punished each time he gets punished, and you will not allow unfair punishment to your child. (Without telling your child about this)
I did this once and I found the teacher just punished my child less since he had to have a real reason for it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 3:57 pm
mfb wrote:
You mig he want to let the teacher know that you expect him to know exactly why your child was punished each time he gets punished, and you will not allow unfair punishment to your child. (Without telling your child about this)
I did this once and I found the teacher just punished my child less since he had to have a real reason for it.

Yes. I did. And was met with this. "My way works. If you are unhappy pull your child out and homeschool him or send him to another school"

His way isn't working. But it's neither here nor there. The teacher is not a teacher. He's a 28 yr old single guy who is working in his master's in something unrelated to teaching or children.

He doesn't want to be bothered with any inconveniences. So as soon as a child needs to be managed he kicks them out. It works if you don't need to repeatedly do it. With different children. But if youre sending a different kid out (and sometimes the same kid) several times a week ... It's not the kid it's you.

It's just so hard to find grown ups to instruct the children. That any "body" will do. Anyone can teach kids are perfectly behaved... And yet he views this as his accomplishment.

It's only one period of this teacher.

The others teachers are a different kind of motley crew. One who keeps confusing the children names ... (And it's a very small class. Less than 15)

Another who is a nice man. But can't seem to keep the kids quiet long enough to get a sentence out .

BH my son doesn't have an IEP... But there's other kids that do. And of course these "teachers" dont accommodate as they just don't know how. It's exhausting.

Why is it so much more pleasant during rebbe time?

Today his rebbe called and was like. "He's the biggest sweetest holiest neshama. I can't push him because it will only ruin our relationship. I'm trying to figure out how to keep him on track. Here's what I'm trying now..."

What's the deal???

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:05 pm
Maybe take him out along with a friend or 2. It’s always better to learn together.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:29 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Maybe take him out along with a friend or 2. It’s always better to learn together.

Excellent idea!

Maybe the moms can take turns homeschooling.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:57 pm
Reasons your child wants stay
1. He’s the class king
2. He’s the class clown and enjoys the attention
It’s time to talk to your son.

As far as concern the learning.
Definitely see where he is up to in math and supplement, if he is ready start teaching him algebra.
Everything else he can learn through reading.
Just make sure the material is varied and at grade level or above
As far as writing, make sure that his punishment essays are written in proper form and grammar
If he believes his punishment was unfair he can write so in his essay as long as he does so respectfully and it is his idea (not yours).

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:15 pm
At 11 it should be his choice. If he chooses to stay you can just tell him you expect to give him lessons Any certain amount of hours a week anyway and let him pick when. Ex 2 hours sun, and 1 hour tues and wed eve. You continue with no expectations for him to learn anything in English- he’s just there for social time. Stop trying to change the English boys system!
Let it go
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling