Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Thank you Hashem! Schools to reopen in red zones
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sneakermom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:02 pm
Things happen slowly. Nothing looks scary in the beginning.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:13 pm
Right! The only one in a red zone a fiery one is Cuomo and DiBlasio. The only reason he stopped is because he got push back and was stuck. Courts clearly would rule against this blatant discrimination. And yup now he is not so certain that his party will win and cover for him.

Did they decide as well to contact trace the rioters and protesters that have been, are, and may be? Or just kids who have been shown by all studies cdc etc that they are not the primary means of transmission and actually very low risk?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 2:40 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 5:06 pm
Have the numbers gone down? What spurred this change in policy?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 7:55 pm
Just a quick word about the testing.

Public schools in NYC have had this in place awhile already. All staff were tested and 20 percent of the staff and students each week. So the testing protocol is nothing new, it's now being enforced in private schools too

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Have the numbers gone down? What spurred this change in policy?

There are lots of problems with the way he designated the zones. For starters, some zip codes in Brooklyn have high rates like Gravesend and Midwood but he only put them in partial red zones but is still counting them as part of the red zones. So if Boro Park is lower they are still in lockdown if gravesend is higher even though not all of gravesend is in the red zone and not on lockdown. Had he done it based on zip codes then some would have been able to open faster.

Another problem is that we now know that some areas have higher rates than Brooklyn red zones yet cuomo did not place those areas in red zones. So Broome, Stueben and Chemung have higher rates than Brooklyn but were not placed in red zones and Brooklyn wasnt removed from the red zones despite having lower rates than the yellow/orange zones.

So the zones are a mess, the numbers are going up in non-red zone areas and cuomo is refusing to release the data that shows rates by zip codes instead of "areas". https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....agram

This is also why he changed his policy on travelers-- https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....7913/

He says that its "racist" to say that coronavirus stems from China but has no problem calling it an "Orthodox Jewish problem". That is what you get with liberals these days where anti-semitism is the only form of racism acceptable. Sad that Jews will still vote for this anti-semitic hypocrite criminal who should be in prison for his lies and abuse of power which included killing thousands of innocent elders by forcing nursing homes to take in sick patients instead of utilizing the makeshift hospitals that the federal govt set up and sending them there.

I just hope that anyone affected by his policies will sue him for every penny he is worth and not allow him to keep the profits of the book he wrote.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Do parents have to allow their kids to be tested (if they're randomly chosen as part of the 25%)?
or can parents disagree? If parents disagree, does that mean they can't send their kids to school?

You don’t have to allow your child to be tested, but if you don’t allow, the school can refuse entry to your child, and maybe siblings as well.
I’m on the fence. One one hand, my kid needs to be in school. On the other hand, there are probably less than 100 kids in the school, which will mean frequent testing. Also, rapids are notoriously unreliable.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:25 pm
cnc wrote:
Only those testing negative can enter and 25% of the school needs to be tested weekly.

If your positive you shouldn't be in school anyway same if you have flu,strep or anything else

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:27 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
You don’t have to allow your child to be tested, but if you don’t allow, the school can refuse entry to your child, and maybe siblings as well.
I’m on the fence. One one hand, my kid needs to be in school. On the other hand, there are probably less than 100 kids in the school, which will mean frequent testing. Also, rapids are notoriously unreliable.

One hundred children in the school means that twenty of them need to be tested each week. But if there were 200, forty would be tested, and if there were 300, sixty would be tested. And so on. It's a percentage, not absolute numbers, so the amount of children shouldn't have any impact on the frequency of testing. It should work out to approximately every month or five weeks.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:30 pm
Elfrida wrote:
One hundred children in the school means that twenty of them need to be tested each week. But if there were 200, forty would be tested, and if there were 300, sixty would be tested. And so on. It's a percentage, not absolute numbers, so the amount of children shouldn't have any impact on the frequency of testing.

Either way, I don’t want my child to be frequently tested, for no reason, using an unreliable test.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:49 pm
For those saying you will not comply, are you going to keep your kids home?

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
That's exactly the position he wanted you in. Now he will get compliance.

I for one do not plan on testing my healthy kids for Covid. I will not comply with government overreach. Sorry charlie.

I don't understand this attitude. We are just getting over a second wave; at the end of the first wave everyone in my neighborhood needed to be tested in order to come back to school. I think that's a very good, common sense precaution.

As for government overreach - did you also protest when the government banned certain dishwashers and washing machines? When the government made seat belt laws? And to make it more local - do you also not follow all the nonsensical laws that New York city has recently put in place? Why suddenly in this area are we screaming "government overreach"?

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:59 pm
I read in an article in the NY Post that any school in the red zone will have to close if that school has 9 positive cases. Doesn't seem to make any distinction if the school has 100 students or 1000 students.

Anyone else heard about that?

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:00 pm
Quote:
Either way, I don’t want my child to be frequently tested, for no reason, using an unreliable test.

Assuming the policy stays unchanged to the end if the school year, and taking out time for Pesach and winter break, it probably means about six tests each. The reason is to enable your children to receive a regular education, instead of zoom/phone classes. You are the only one who can judge whether it is a better alternative for your children.

From what I've read on other threads, if your child is chosen that week, you can take him to the doctor and do a regular test instead of a rapid one. They have more accurate results, and you might feel happier about it.

going-up

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:49 pm
I think this is just common sense and a great compromise. I don't understand those complaints regarding testing! My kids school did this out of their own choice, (not in NY) and all families cooperated. Noone wants to be the cause of spreading sickness. The nose swab is not comfortable but not actually painful or invasive, like many of you suggest. Some of you sound quite entitled. There is a pandemic going on! Yes, I don't think it was right for Cuomo to pick on the Jews and shut down schools. I think he should have done this great balance from the get-go. But to refuse testing makes you sound like entitled babies. For goodness sake, testing could save lives and keep your schools open!

leah233

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:56 pm
Reality wrote:
I read in an article in the NY Post that any school in the red zone will have to close if that school has 9 positive cases. Doesn't seem to make any distinction if the school has 100 students or 1000 students.

Anyone else heard about that?

The rules are that if a school has more than 300 students then if it has a 2% positive level it has to shutdown. If they have less than 300 students then if there are nine positive cases they have to shutdown.

Much as I HATE Cuomo I agree with him about this rule

amother
White

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
For those saying you will not comply, are you going to keep your kids home?

I'll be super mad if they don't!!

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 10:34 pm
leah233 wrote:
The rules are that if a school has more than 300 students then if it has a 2% positive level it has to shutdown. If they have less than 300 students then if there are nine positive cases they have to shutdown.

Much as I HATE Cuomo I agree with him about this rule

I haven't seen this distinction mentioned anywhere. Do you have a source where it's given?

leah233

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I haven't seen this distinction mentioned anywhere. Do you have a source where it's given?

see this link

https://www.amny.com/new-york/.....uomo/

Laiya

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
If your positive you shouldn't be in school anyway same if you have flu,strep or anything else

Kids with no symptoms of illness? We wouldn't know because we don't test them.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics