Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Jewish music?
1  2  Next

sarahnurit

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:27 pm
Can anyone suggest me some quality jewish music singers? I used to listen to a lot of music, and I am starting to miss it... Crying
Until now I haven't really found anything really inspiring, except for nigunim...

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:30 pm
are you anywhere near a Judaica store that has listening stations so you can sample Jewish music?

or how about trying the MostlyMusic and other websites that have music samples?

it's really a matter of taste and it would be better if you tried things out for yourself to see what appeals to you

technic

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:31 pm
GORGEOUS baby kyh:)....my latest fav is shalhevet "haneshama lach 2", it has slow songs and fast songs and I lOVE it!!!

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:32 pm
Hm... the truth is, once you listen to Niggunim, you'll find that all other music lacks the beauty and depth you find in them. I can reccomend some good niggunim cd's but you said you're interested in other music...

If I think of something that I would call 'inspirational' since thats what you seem to be looking for, I will add it later. Just wanted to point out that you will most likely find other music lacking now that you are used to niggunim.

sarahnurit

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:36 pm
I live in Naples, Italy, and there are no judaica stores here, not yet at least...
I used to play guitar and to sing, maybe thet's why I am a little bit picky with what I listen to...I used to have a huge amount of tapes, cds, etc, so now I feel like I am missing something, and I know that music has a very good effect on my mood...

uandme

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 8:49 pm
[quote="de_goldy"]Hm... the truth is, once you listen to Niggunim, you'll find that all other music lacks the beauty and depth you find in them. I can reccomend some good niggunim cd's but you said you're interested in other music...

de_Goldy so which do you recommend? Question

miriam

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 12:03 am
I like music more for the words/pesukim than for the music. I listen to Shlomie Dachs.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 12:15 am
UandMe, I'll give some suggestions later.

But for now, I'm craving music so bad. The three weeks is torture (don't even get me started on sefirah).

queen

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:18 am
nurit=== you'd probably like shlomo carlbach.
his nigunim and songs reach deep down. very powerful.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:41 am
If she listens to niggunim, I doubt she'll be listening to Carlebach (on principle). Then again... maybe not.

IM-MA

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:58 am
There's a number of Jewish sites on the internet where you can listen to Jewish music-- nachumradio.com, jmintheam.org, fivetownsradio.com, shmais.com, jewishbroadcast.com, etc.

Tovah

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:29 am
how abt Eli Gershner he just came out with a good tape (it's not the chevrah)

tzivi

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:42 am
[color=indigo]Any tapes or cds of the Rebbes's niggunim are a must!![color]

uandme

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 11:31 pm
de_goldy wrote:
UandMe, I'll give some suggestions later.

But for now, I'm craving music so bad. The three weeks is torture (don't even get me started on sefirah).

yes, understood 8)

sarahnurit

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:06 pm
B"H Three weeks are over and I can start to search for good msic again!!!
I am gonna look up your suggestions, and I will let you know...
Of corse, niggunim are something special, but I was wondering if there are some musicians that are producing something good now...

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 1:28 am
I can't help you with songs bec. I don't like them, I don't go for cantorial music, I like music, like Shloime Dachs, is my favorite, shwekey, Dovid Gabai, MBC, YBC, Avraham Fried and lots of others.
You can listen to music in one of the links s/one gave you and if you decide you like s/thing, you can order it online.

I don't have a problem with Sefirah nor the three weeks, bec. I work in a special ed school and there the music and videos go all the time. I don't know if I would've survived without it.

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 7:38 pm
I listened once to a singer called Tuvia Bolton, he plays gitar as well, and I liked his style...maybe I will order one of his cds... Also, I remember I liked a singer called Lutz Elias, he sings niggunim and kletzmer-influenced music...
...but I can't find his tape anymore, I will see if I can find him online...

merpk

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 2:41 pm
de_goldy wrote:
If she listens to niggunim, I doubt she'll be listening to Carlebach (on principle). Then again... maybe not.

Excuse me. Shows that you know very little about R' Carlebach. And that you know very little about his music.

The Amshinover Rebbe listens to Carlebach. It's safe to say he listens to niggunim, too. If you go to Munkatch, you'll find a lot of R' Shlomo Carlebach fans, too. And Modzitz. And they like their niggunim just fine, too.

Your pat judgmentalism in re R' Shlomo and his music are, well, a little too pat.

nehama

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:24 pm
I'm a Lubavitcher and listen to Carlebach music. What's wrong with that? The Rebbe sent him on shlichus. Just because the way he went about his shlichus was not 100% kosher doesn't make him bad.

As for a suggestion, how about Abie Rotenberg's music?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:26 pm
One should be very careful about the source of the music s/he listens to, since music comes from a very deep part of a person, and all listeners will be affected by the person him/herself as part of the music.

Some would feel uncomfortable listening to Carlebach songs for that reason, since they feel uncomfortable with some of the things he did.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics