Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Over 30 years old-How often to you replace your clothes?
Previous  1  2

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:36 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Exactly I would find it very tedious to need to update my wardrobe that often...and it probably looks it.

Not if you enjoy shopping 😆

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:38 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Too small is only if you constantly gain lol. My weight fluctuates. Something that I wore last year, may not fit this year, but maybe will next year.

Shells is the most often replaced item in my wardrobe.

But hey, you're definitely inspiring me to do some decluttering after Shabbas. Surely have many things that need to see the dumpster.

I hope I’ll lose but so far the trend has been pointing to the other direction....

I barely wear shells nowadays.

Glad to be an inspiration. Can I brag? I gave away 3 garbage bags of stuff this week.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:03 pm
dankbar wrote:
Do you switch over an entire wardrobe every season, or you keep the old but add in a few current pieces?

I basically switch over to entire new wardrobe and keep a couple of things I love and I donate the rest.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:09 pm
I get 2-4 new things every season to keep my wardrobe fresh and interesting, and throw out the same amount I bring in (one in one out rule). I have classics like black skirts for years (one winter, one all year, one shabbos, one long). I have a variety of dresses that I rotate. Some are about 5 years old, most are about 2 or 3. Shoes get thrown out when they're worn out.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 5:47 pm
I’ve been married 20 years and my body definitely changed a lot with pregnancies the first few years, so nothing from the early years would fit now and has long since been donated. But since about 2006 I’ve been approximately the same size, so I still wear stuff from then. I still wear my mock wrap Junee skirt, remember those? I haven’t seen anyone else in them in years, lol. But it’s comfy and still in good shape so hey. I usually buy 2-3 new pieces each year, to replace something that’s worn out, or because I really like a color or style. I would say my wardrobe is about 1/3 old stuff, 1/3 medium old stuff, and 1/3 stuff from the past couple of years. I have a semi capsule wardrobe approach, so most things in my closet look good together in various combinations, which makes it easier.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 7:47 pm
Nothing wrong with you OP. Not everyone has to be a fashion slave. I get rid of things when I see they're glaringly out of whack, and that usually happens when I buy something new and it doesn't work with the old stock. For example, when I bought a new suit with a narrow collar and lapels, it became obvious that it was time to retire my blouses with wide collars--and the jackets with wide collars and lapels. When I bough a vest with narrow armholes, it was time to chuck the shirts with wide armholes.

Same thing with dh: when his new shirts have narrow collars, it's time to dump the wide ties and vice versa.

If you stay away from trendy things your clothes will be usable much longer. Would you wear a dress or skirt now with those huge obnoxious zippers? Probably not. But you could still wear the same dress if it had a regular zipper.

If you don't feel dressed without something that's on the cutting edge, limit your purchases to inexpensive accessories that you won't feel bad about getting rid of in a year or three.

tichellady

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:09 pm
I only replace if I don’t like something, it doesn’t fit, or it’s ruined. I still have some things from high school that I wear and boots from college

Malkqueen

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:29 pm
I'm not yet 30, so excuse me if my opinion here is irrelevant.

I buy new clothing each season because I like having new stuff, I like to change it up, and I like shopping. My style is essentially more classy than trendy, but I update often for enjoyment.

Also, I work full time in a busy office and feel like I can't be wearing the same clothing week after week (and year after year!)

There are some basics I keep, and some stuff I still have from my single days (8ish years ago), but the rest of it gets donated after a season or two.

BTW - why am I noticing that all posters who stated that they update often got hugged?

Malkqueen

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:32 am
Malkqueen wrote:

BTW - why am I noticing that all posters who stated that they update often got hugged?

Repeating this question for the person who hugged me.
Is this a passive-aggresive hug because you disagree with my wardrobe preferences, is this a pity hug because I'm too materialistic, or is this a let's be friends hug cuz you like my style?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:54 am
Are you asking about clothing that’s 30 years old? Yea, I think it’s time to replace.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:56 am
Malkqueen wrote:
Repeating this question for the person who hugged me.
Is this a passive-aggresive hug because you disagree with my wardrobe preferences, is this a pity hug because I'm too materialistic, or is this a let's be friends hug cuz you like my style?

The more they shop the more hugs they got. I’d also love to hear why! What

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:47 am
I should say that I replace clothes when they start getting threadbare and sport permanent stains or develop large holes that make them no longer tznius, but I gotta be honest.

I replace them when I get enough alternatives that I find myself never reaching for them again. But since I don't shop enough, I have clothes that are older than most of my children (and some of them look it, too!).

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:06 am
I have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear! How's that? My baby weight that's a yr old, didn't go down! I hate to shop for myself, because the clothes I try in the store make me fat! Ye blame those! Such type that make me fat, I have at home too, so no need for new!
Seriously, I have some close simchos coming up & not much in my closet that's flattering & make me skinny!

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:28 am
little neshamala wrote:
Im still wearing certain outfits that are 10 years old. If it looks fresh and not worn out, and complements me when I wear it, I keep it. So long as I feel confident while wearing it, it stays.

Same.
I work from home, errands have gone down majorly since covid and I order much more stuff online.
I like to have a few new weekday tops a season which replace things that are worn out but I only wear them for something special, like going out with DH or friends. Not for a regular trip to the makolet. I have a toddler so I'm mostly in my older clothes during the week. No reason to ruin new clothing when I'm at home.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:33 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
The more they shop the more hugs they got. I’d also love to hear why! What

Because a love of fashion and shopping is considered materialistic and shallow on this site Banging head

trixx

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:37 am
Malkqueen wrote:
I'm not yet 30, so excuse me if my opinion here is irrelevant.

I buy new clothing each season because I like having new stuff, I like to change it up, and I like shopping. My style is essentially more classy than trendy, but I update often for enjoyment.

Also, I work full time in a busy office and feel like I can't be wearing the same clothing week after week (and year after year!)

There are some basics I keep, and some stuff I still have from my single days (8ish years ago), but the rest of it gets donated after a season or two.

This is a really good point. When I was teaching high school, I had to have a much larger wardrobe than when I was a sahm. It's literally a work expense.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:59 am
SuperWify wrote:
Because a love of fashion and shopping is considered materialistic and shallow on this site Banging head

Maybe the huggers - I'm not one of them - perceive them as insecure?
I agree with you do you. I assume that people who have means to start over are
a. making sure the old clothes go to good use
b. probably updating - tailoring, replacing buttons, whatever - some loved pieces here and there.

It's all good.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:15 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:35 am
How do people fit into stuff from 30 years ago....I was 13 & 100 lbs then

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:20 am
dankbar wrote: