Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Which toys to save for grandchildren

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:24 pm
I may or may not have more kids. Which toys does it pay to save for when the grandchildren come over or if I have another kid...or should I save it and gift to my kids for them to keep at home for their kids? Or some and some or trash it all as they grow up.

Very torn on this. Toys are expensive and we have quite a collection.

Help me flesh this out.

happy chick

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:33 pm
Anything that is either very expensive (you decide how much is expensive), irreplaceable ( like a collectible item), or things of sentimental value.

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:38 pm
It depends. If you have the storage room, I'd pack (and carefully lable) everything and if/when your kids have children of their own, I'm sure they'd be very happy to take the toys off your hands.

Toss anything that's at all broken or incomplete, like puzzles missing pieces etc. That's not worth the bother.

As for what to keep, anything you might have a particularly extensive collection of, like Legos or Playmobil, are awesome toys to have at the grandparents. A handful of toys for every age (a small box of baby toys, a small box of bath toys, a small box of you kitchen toys, etc) is also good to have on hand for their future visits.

But again, this all assumes you might have room to store things. Though properly packed away, it shouldn't take up too much space.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:43 pm
Teomima wrote:
It depends. If you have the storage room, I'd pack (and carefully lable) everything and if/when your kids have children of their own, I'm sure they'd be very happy to take the toys off your hands.

Toss anything that's at all broken or incomplete, like puzzles missing pieces etc. That's not worth the bother.

As for what to keep, anything you might have a particularly extensive collection of, like Legos or Playmobil, are awesome toys to have at the grandparents. A handful of toys for every age (a small box of baby toys, a small box of bath toys, a small box of you kitchen toys, etc) is also good to have on hand for their future visits.

But again, this all assumes you might have room to store things. Though properly packed away, it shouldn't take up too much space.

Thanks. This is helpful!

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:53 pm
I do want to say that some things may be in perfect condition when put away might still not survive. I received a really extensive gear toy from a sibling that was put away for less than 10 years. Had all the pieces and everything - but the plastic had become brittle and started disintegrating as soon as we started playing with it... So super disappointing!

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 2:05 pm
Probably some wooden blocks or dolls. Things like magnets are likely to become significantly upgraded over the years. I'd give them away to people who could use them now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics