Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to cook a healthy Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
What do you eat differently on shabbos than during the week? I’m not understanding that from your post. Is it more fruit than usual? Bigger portions?

The main thing is probably the challah. I just end up with more carbs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:57 pm
DrMom wrote:
I am also wondering this.

Also, when you say that all your weight loss is undone on Shabbat, how much are we talking about? 5 lbs? 1/4 lb? If it's a small amount, maybe this is just your normal weight fluctuation.

Are you physically active at all, or is your weight loss achieved through dieting alone? Maybe you can get some exercise a few times/week to help boost your metabolism.

I've been exercising for 20-40 minutes every day for the last month or so, and I hope to continue.

I'm talking about 1-1.5 pounds, usually. How much more am I going to lose in any given week? I know that I can get down to the weight that I want, that used to be my baseline before I had kids and started on meds.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:03 pm
Aaah you’ve answered your own question
What type of meds? - sorry if this is too personal
It’s the meds

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol good point. I never used to weigh myself, period. But now, I have a gown to fit into... it's the same gown I wore to a wedding a year ago, and I have 7 pounds to lose Sad

It's really hard to eat the same way on Shabbos as during the week...

The hard thing about this is that numbers on the scale don’t necessarily corrrlate with size. For example, I weighed 195 at my
Wedding. My wedding dress at 205 won’t close by six inches in the belly but every other part of it is too big, including the chest. I have diastasis recti and insulin resistance which over the years have made my waist bigger.

Crash diets are really not helpful in the long run as there is established data that shows that our metabolisms slow as we eat lower calorie. This is why intermittent fasting is a thing. You eat well and then fast. Another issue is that 7 pounds is not a significant amount of weight to lose BUT it’s harder the closer you are to goal weight.

Rock, meet hard place. Can you get the dress adjusted? How long do you have? Are you sure it’s 7 pounds keeping you from wearing it? Did your body composition change?

Geulanow

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:28 pm
Maybe try chewing your food slower, sitting less on Shabbos, getting adequate sleep - not too little and not too much, drink more water. Maybe you can make a lower fat challah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:58 pm
andrea levy wrote:
The hard thing about this is that numbers on the scale don’t necessarily corrrlate with size. For example, I weighed 195 at my
Wedding. My wedding dress at 205 won’t close by six inches in the belly but every other part of it is too big, including the chest. I have diastasis recti and insulin resistance which over the years have made my waist bigger.

Crash diets are really not helpful in the long run as there is established data that shows that our metabolisms slow as we eat lower calorie. This is why intermittent fasting is a thing. You eat well and then fast. Another issue is that 7 pounds is not a significant amount of weight to lose BUT it’s harder the closer you are to goal weight.

Rock, meet hard place. Can you get the dress adjusted? How long do you have? Are you sure it’s 7 pounds keeping you from wearing it? Did your body composition change?

To be honest, the dress will probably fit as is. I rarely grow out of my clothing even when I gain weight; it just doesn't look quite as nice. If my body composition changed at all, it would be only that I added more muscle, as I've been exercising much more and doing strength training.

I know that 7 pounds isn't a ton. I also know that I'm on two medications that work against me. Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Aaah you’ve answered your own question
What type of meds? - sorry if this is too personal
It’s the meds

The thing is that I was on those meds last year, too, and lost weight. I'd rather not specify.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The main thing is probably the challah. I just end up with more carbs.
would you try a low carb bread?

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've been exercising for 20-40 minutes every day for the last month or so, and I hope to continue.

I'm talking about 1-1.5 pounds, usually. How much more am I going to lose in any given week? I know that I can get down to the weight that I want, that used to be my baseline before I had kids and started on meds.

before you had kids and started meds are both huge factors.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:07 pm
Best not to weigh yourself every day. Once a week on the same day is more consistent.

For shabbos, drink 2 cups of water before each seuda. Eat 1 piece of challah instead of eating a starch at the meal, not both. Cut up multiple vegetables if that's what you like. Stay away from 0 calorie sweeteners and diet drinks which some people find keeps them from losing weight. Good luck!!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:18 pm
You’ve gotten lots of great advice on this thread. Have you ever tried counting macros? When I did that, I was able to eat the same way all week including shabbos, while still allowing myself some treats.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Best not to weigh yourself every day. Once a week on the same day is more consistent.

For shabbos, drink 2 cups of water before each seuda. Eat 1 piece of challah instead of eating a starch at the meal, not both. Cut up multiple vegetables if that's what you like. Stay away from 0 calorie sweeteners and diet drinks which some people find keeps them from losing weight. Good luck!!

I usually weigh myself twice a week. I see the change from before and after Shabbos.

It's soooo hard for me to stick to 1 piece of challah. Challah is my starch at the meal, as I said in my OP. I drink only water.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:23 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
before you had kids and started meds are both huge factors.

I got down to my target weight, after I had kids, while on the meds. The pandemic really messed me up.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
would you try a low carb bread?

That would make me depressed, honestly. I'm trying to do a diet while sticking to foods that I can stomach while still enjoying and looking forward to my meals.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I usually weigh myself twice a week. I see the change from before and after Shabbos.

It's soooo hard for me to stick to 1 piece of challah. Challah is my starch at the meal, as I said in my OP. I drink only water.

Take 1 big piece of challah. But only one. That's the only way to stay controlled. Also only 1 tbsp dip or a fat free dip.

amother
Plum

amother [ OP ] wrote:

It sounds like the challah might be doing it. And how big is a piece? It’s possible you’re consuming many carbs in that one piece of challah. If you really feel that you want challah, have a small amount and eat it mindfully. Personally I usually don’t eat challah (or any gluten) at all.

Chana Miriam S

amother [ OP ] wrote:
To be honest, the dress will probably fit as is. I rarely grow out of my clothing even when I gain weight; it just doesn't look quite as nice. If my body composition changed at all, it would be only that I added more muscle, as I've been exercising much more and doing strength training.

I know that 7 pounds isn't a ton. I also know that I'm on two medications that work against me. Sad

So now you’ve identified the real thing. If you’ve followed my journey at all, you’ll know that after my initial quick loss, my actual weight loss slowed down and yet, I continue, especially since starting to exercise, to get smaller and look better. I can show you two pics where I was the same weight but look thirty pounds heavier in one than the other.

So, maybe what you do, is try on the dress and take a pic of yourself. You might already be where you are, especially because you are exercising. Exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but a great way to change body composition and also add a sparkle to your eye! If you know you feel good AND look good, what difference does the scale really make?

I say this as someone who is still obese, but who everyone says looks great! I can see differences in pictures and goodness knows I love how healthy I am and how easy it is to move around etc.

It might be that you are already where you want to be, just looking at the wrong metrics.

Also, if you aren’t already low carb, initial loss is typically water weight, so if you just care about the number, go very low carb until you’re done. The longer you eat low carb, the higher the proportion of fat loss is, while typically preserving lean mass.

Hope this helps.

Edited to say that I see you don’t want to go low carb and that’s your choice. Still, do the picture thing and see if you actually need to lose weight after all.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:28 pm
andrea levy wrote:
So now you’ve identified the real thing. If you’ve followed my journey at all, you’ll know that after my initial quick loss, my actual weight loss slowed down and yet, I continue, especially since starting to exercise, to get smaller and look better. I can show you two pics where I was the same weight but look thirty pounds heavier in one than the other.

So, maybe what you do, is try on the dress and take a pic of yourself. You might already be where you are, especially because you are exercising. Exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but a great way to change body composition and also add a sparkle to your eye! If you know you feel good AND look good, what difference does the scale really make?

I say this as someone who is still obese, but who everyone says looks great! I can see differences in pictures and goodness knows I love how healthy I am and how easy it is to move around etc.

It might be that you are already where you want to be, just looking at the wrong metrics.

Also, if you aren’t already low carb, initial lids is typically water weight, so if you just care about the number, go very low carb until you’re done. The longer you eat low carb, the higher the proportion of fat loss is, while typically preserving lean mass.

Hope this helps.

Did share what you did in any specific threads? Like what a typical meal looks like and what intermittent fasting looks like? Etc.

Can you direct me to it if you did?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 7:50 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Did share what you did in any specific threads? Like what a typical meal looks like and what intermittent fasting looks like? Etc.

Can you direct me to it if you did?

What I have done has changed over time and even week to week in the interest of keeping my body guessing. It’s all low carb and intermittently fasting but after reading the obesity and diabetes codes, I don’t get stuck doing the same thing always.

So much in the human body relies on habituation and that means you build tolerance. So by keeping my body guessing I hope not to do further metabolic damage and also to maintain my weight loss even if I never lost another pound.

As always, you are welcome to pm me your email and I’ll se d you the nsng PDF. There’s no specific plan because first you kick carb addiction and then your appetite evolves over time.

Once you lower your insulin levels consistently you start to fix the metabolic damage. I have 45 years of damage to fix but I’m also in a tiny number of people who maintain such large weight loss. So, however long it will take, it’ll take.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:22 am
You can try adding some weight training to your exercise routine.

Honestly (and I'm no expert), I don't see how 1 slice of challah once/week can derail an entire week of weight loss, unless the weight loss was extremely minor.

Are you trying to become extremely thin starting from a normal weight? Is your weekday diet very extreme?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking