Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Not managing financially
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:00 pm
You can find Shabbos cloths in non Jewish stores also. Sounds like you are spending too much a month on vitamins! Do any of you have an job?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:01 pm
You should ask people for handy downs for children and not spend any $ on that.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:02 pm
Ok, the things that jump out are food: you would probably qualify for food stamps.
Internet and phone: that sounds very high. Maybe try to shop around.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Family of 4. Spending about 1200 a month on groceries (including disposable, tissues etc..) (I think I spend too much?)
Rent 1250 a month
Tuition 400 a month
Car I think 300 a month. Maybe more plus gas.
Vitamins maybe 500 a month between the whole family, maybe more
Utilities I don't know
Clothing I shop in the cheaper stores
Internet and phones come out to between 200 and 300 a month I think
And cc debt, and owe ppl money....

I buy mostly in Wal-Mart, children's place, Amazon. I buy shabbos clothing in the cheaper Jewish stores.

You could definitely get your expenses down. If you have the emotional and physical capability to do so.

I am paying $65 for two phones on Verizon, and another $35 for two phones for kids on cheaper plans. I am paying $90 for the highest speed internet they have (we need it). If we were really struggling, we could go back to DSL for half the price, and use the cheapest phone plans. That's a relatively easy switch, but you do have to make sure the new plan works on your current phones, order new sim cards, contact your current provider to unlock the number, and institute a number transfer. That could easily save you $100 or more per month.

The grocery bill could easily be slimmed down - look for two or three of the most expensive line items and cut down on them. For example, if you buy 3 chickens, try buying 2 and using more eggs, beans, or vegetables to pad out that meal. That would also probably save you between $100 and $200 per month. Tomchei Shabbos or food stamps are also possibilities, if you are eligible.

For the car, take a few less drives and the gas costs will go down somewhat. Maybe $25 savings?

Vitamins are pretty high. If you list what you are taking, you can probably get that down also. There are cheaper brands, and sometimes you can replace a combo vitamin with singles for much less. It's also worth paying a doctor to help you decide which ones are most likely helping - it's unlikely that they are ALL helping you.

Utilities you can usually get down by $25 or more by being careful about shutting lights, turning down the thermostat by one or two degrees or even more at night.

You usually don't NEED to buy clothes. I have gone years and spent under $200 for my family, just undergarments, because we use hand-me-downs.

IOW, you could relatively simply get your expenses down by $750 or so per month, which I imagine would make a nice dent in your debts.

But I know that all of these changes are hard, especially if you aren't feeling your best.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Family of 4. Spending about 1200 a month on groceries (including disposable, tissues etc..) (I think I spend too much?)
Rent 1250 a month
Tuition 400 a month
Car I think 300 a month. Maybe more plus gas.
Vitamins maybe 500 a month between the whole family, maybe more
Utilities I don't know
Clothing I shop in the cheaper stores
Internet and phones come out to between 200 and 300 a month I think
And cc debt, and owe ppl money....

I buy mostly in Wal-Mart, children's place, Amazon. I buy shabbos clothing in the cheaper Jewish stores.

Phones get prepaid they are way cheaper see what the phone store in shoppers haven has to offer.
Vitamins you should really sit down and see which are actually helping since your spending a lot there
Food actually sounds reasonable. Unless maybe start shopping in bingo for the late good buys.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
You could definitely get your expenses down. If you have the emotional and physical capability to do so.

I am paying $65 for two phones on Verizon, and another $35 for two phones for kids on cheaper plans. I am paying $90 for the highest speed internet they have (we need it). If we were really struggling, we could go back to DSL for half the price, and use the cheapest phone plans. That's a relatively easy switch, but you do have to make sure the new plan works on your current phones, order new sim cards, contact your current provider to unlock the number, and institute a number transfer. That could easily save you $100 or more per month.

The grocery bill could easily be slimmed down - look for two or three of the most expensive line items and cut down on them. For example, if you buy 3 chickens, try buying 2 and using more eggs, beans, or vegetables to pad out that meal. That would also probably save you between $100 and $200 per month. Tomchei Shabbos or food stamps are also possibilities, if you are eligible.

For the car, take a few less drives and the gas costs will go down somewhat. Maybe $25 savings?

Vitamins are pretty high. If you list what you are taking, you can probably get that down also. There are cheaper brands, and sometimes you can replace a combo vitamin with singles for much less. It's also worth paying a doctor to help you decide which ones are most likely helping - it's unlikely that they are ALL helping you.

Utilities you can usually get down by $25 or more by being careful about shutting lights, turning down the thermostat by one or two degrees or even more at night.

You usually don't NEED to buy clothes. I have gone years and spent under $200 for my family, just undergarments, because we use hand-me-downs.

IOW, you could relatively simply get your expenses down by $750 or so per month, which I imagine would make a nice dent in your debts.

But I know that all of these changes are hard, especially if you aren't feeling your best.

Thanks for all the advice. I can try buying clothes in thrift shop. Used to do that when I had more energy...

For 4 ppl what do you think I should aim for in weekly grocery budget?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:21 pm
In Monsey there is Kupas Ezrah that helps people with some of their bills. Kupas Ezrah has a used clothing store where you can get things for pennies. Sometimes you can bring in extra income like babysitting only 2 kids tutoring twice a week can make a difference the end of the month. You can also lease a car the end of the year and eliminating some gadgets for a reasonable price. There are shoe sales every now and then..

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I can try buying clothes in thrift shop. Used to do that when I had more energy...

For 4 ppl what do you think I should aim for in weekly grocery budget?

TBH I wouldn't start with food. I think there are many other easier ways to save money. $1200 is not crazy for food.

But if you feel that you DO want to start with food, I wouldn't start with a budget - start with a meal plan and buy for that menu. That will automatically lower your food costs, but much more painlessly.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 11:15 pm
pm me, I can help you save money on cell and internet.

clothing - I think adult dont need to buy often. clothing can be used from one year to the next. you need socks, underwear etc. but dresses, shirts, sweaters can last long and look good.

Kids - friends pass down nice stuff. can u find out someone with older kids than yours and ask if they are not passing theirs to family already - can they show you? you will choose what you can use and return the rest?

kids do need underwear, shoes, eyewear. which you cant take from someone.

Hope you are able to save some $. its hard to be on a tight budget.

some frum larger stores agreed to give someone fruit and veggies on friday at noon that they would not sell 9some for 1/2, some free) would you want to reach out and ask owner? " we have some medical issues, we are on tomchei shabbos.. would love to get some fruit and veggies friday for a significant disocunt - would it be possible? when should I come? who should I speak with?

keep borrowing is not a good idea...get discounts is better.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 11:19 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Do you live with a chronic illness that you can dare to give such advice?

I am a medical professional. Many vitamins people take just get peed out. That’s why I hope OP is being advised by a doctor because 500 a month is a lot.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:35 am
The first thing right down everything you spend for a month see what you spend $$$ on and how much. Keep doing this for a few months to get a handle on how much you spend and what
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics