Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Black hat open minded not quite yeshivish with dog brooklyn
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:03 pm
Are you a black hat family, leaning towards yeshivish but more open minded, that owns a dog in brooklyn? We would like a dog but no one else seems to have one.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:07 pm
I wishhhhh.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:10 pm
Definitely not done here.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:11 pm
Haha go out of town and people don't really blink.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:13 pm
I know a few families in Lakewood who have dogs and fit your description.

It's not done until someone does it. And then the next one copies. And then suddenly it's not so taboo anymore.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:18 pm
And I know someone who moved to Lakewood, who was begged to come there because of professional abilities (deliberately being vague), and he came with his dog.

And even though he had all the protektsia you could ever dream of and every door to every school was completely open to him, at the end of the day, he just wasn't and happy and decided to move OOT, where he's doing much better.

He commented to a friend of DH that he thinks that if he hadn't brought the dog, he would have been more mainstream, and people would have treated him differently, and he could have made it work.

Even if you're okay with it, if you have kids you're setting them up for needless difficulties. It's hard enough being the new kid in school, but being the weird new kid from the family with a dog, it's really not fair to them.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:23 pm
I'm not telling you what to do but when I was a kid back in the 1970s living in Boro Park my family wanted to get a dog. (Back then Boro Park was not predominantly Chasidish)

My father wasn't sure becuase there is a question in halacha about raising dogs.

He asked one of the most respected poskim alive back then who told him that there is no halacha issue with having a domestic dog but it is not something a Yid should do

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Not telling you what to do but when I was a kid back in the 1970s living in Boro Park my family wanted to get a dog. (Back then Boro Park was not predominantly Chasidish)

My father wasn't sure becuase there is a question in halacha about raising dogs.

He asked one of the most respected poskim alive back then who told him that there is no halacha issue with having a domestic dog but it is not something a Yid should do

My mother told me the same thing. I actually think it wasn't true, and she used it as an excuse because it was easier than saying *she* didn't want a dog.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:49 pm
There's plenty of this is Passaic.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I know a few families in Lakewood who have dogs and fit your description.

It's not done until someone does it. And then the next one copies. And then suddenly it's not so taboo anymore.

Most schools don’t allow it. Even the more left wing ones.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:06 pm
Maybe try a cat? Some are quite like dogs. Ours is LOL

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

What?! Schools don’t “allow” pet dogs? I admit to not being part of the mainstream system (by choice) but I am still shocked.

leah233

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What?! Schools don’t “allow” pet dogs? I admit to not being part of the mainstream system (by choice) but I am still shocked.

Never heard of schools in Lakewood having a formal policy of not accepting dog owners but if some do it would probably be becuase they assume that anyone who has a dog is like you describe yourself - out of the mainstream - and they cater to the mainstream crowd.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:18 pm
leah233 wrote:
Never heard of schools in Lakewood having a formal policy of not accepting dog owners but if some do it would probably be becuase they assume that anyone who has a dog is like you describe yourself - out of the mainstream - and they cater to the mainstream crowd.

No formal policy but I know people who had one and were told they have to get rid of it.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:24 pm
I know a few ppl in Lakewood who have dogs and send to regular mainstream schools. There are very very few ppl with dogs here but there are no school rules against it.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:31 pm
grew up and live OOT. it is really not accepted and considered out of the box, so I imagine even more so in town. I would definately not visit you if you had a dog, as I am frightened from them, and I think many others feel the same way, so keep that in mind. also got to talk to LOR- lots of halachic things to know about owning a dog and shabbos etc. dont know specifics because it never applied to me, but I know it exists.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

Never heard of such a thing. There is no rule in the school handbook about not having dogs. To op, I do know a person such as you describe. More then one actually. I would be that person if I had any patience left to take care of a dog. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I just have enough on my plate.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:38 pm
Passaic has plenty of frum ppl with dogs. Lots of women in tichels walking them.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 8:40 pm
I read the title and envisioned Baltimore.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 9:07 pm
I wouldn't ive anyplace where I couldn't easily have pets.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets