Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hosting Shabbos Sheva Brachos
1  2  3  Next

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:02 am
I am hosting shabbos sheva brachos this week for a very beloved relative.

I've never hosted a party this big and with this many moving parts. I'm also sufferings from creativity overload. There are a million potential projects fizzing through my head! I need to edit! I'm hoping getting it all down here will help me get more organized and also give me some ideas and constructive criticism from y'all! This is going to be a long and ramble-y post. If you're a party planning pro and you want to help me make a wonderful Kallah feel very special and loved, read on! If not, move on to more dramatic and angsty posts!

Tent, tables, chairs is rented and will be going up on Wednesday. Darling handsome husband and his friend will be putting up hundreds of twinkly white x-mas lights in the tent and will wrap a lovey tree in our front yard in lights. I am in the process of sewing yards and yards of flag bunting in different textures of white materiel to string across the tent ceiling. The bunting is not coming out as perfectly as I'd imagined. I'm a pretty good seamstress, but somehow my vision is not translating exactly. Oh well. It's going to be beautiful!

We will be hosting around 35 people at last count. I've put up all guests by neighbors. Made hostess bags for guests with snacks, candles and matches, basic toiletries. I've typed up a schedule and neighborhood map (waiting for gold glittery paper to come from Amazon so I can print them up and add them to the bags). I've purchased lovely rose shaped cake baking trays to give as gifts to my wonderful neighbors who are hosting my guests and baked rose shaped cakes to package with the molds. I need to buy plastic cake boxes to hold the cakes, Celo bags and ribbon to hold it all, and will need to put those packages together last minute on Friday so the cakes are fresh (from the freezer Smile).

And now for the main event! Food! I'm cooking some, catering some. I have 2 waitresses hired. I need to finalize with the caterer the exact menu on Wednesday, and we'll pick it up with the warmers on Friday. I'm going to need to see what foods it looks like I'm going to realistically be able to home-make by Wednesday. I wish I could home cook everything, but I just don't have the time. The prices on catered food are making my head spin, plus I feel like whatever I make is going to be prettier and yummier than food I buy, so I'm hoping to home cook as much as I can. Paper goods are all purchased. Table cloths are rented. Friday night color scheme is white and gold. Shabbos day is cobalt blue floral. It's gorgeous!

I will be putting out coffee, cake, potato kugel, fruit for when guests arrive to get their house assignments. Cakes are baked. I need to borrow a really big Urn for hot water. Kugel is going to be catered because I hate making potato kugel and mine always seems to magically come out both dry and watery. Yuk.

Friday night dinner: I'm plating the first course and dessert, but I want everything else served to the center of the tables, family dinner style. I just like it better. More casual, comfortable. Plus it means less time in the kitchen supervising the waiters. Planning on serving:

Challah (catered)
Gafilta fish (plated, catered) and dips (center of table, brought at the grocery store)
Chicken soup (plated, catered) with noodles and matza balls (homemade by yours truly!)
Main course: Soy-maple roast (homemade)
Chicken (either capons or grilled. I'm leaning towards grilled. Catered)
Potato kugal (catered)
Mini broccoli pies (homemade)
Mini butternut squash pies (homemade)
Mini yerushalmi kugals (homemade)
Roasted mixed veggies (homemade)
Dessert: Chocolate and amaretto cupcakes (homemade)

I'll be putting out cake, chocolates, coffee, cheesecake, cookies, cereals, fruit, for buffet breakfast for all the mamas and kids. (homemade)

Shabbos Lunch:

Challah (catered)
Egg salad, liver (plated, catered) ceaser salad (plated, homemade)
cole slaw, pickles, isreali salad, dips at each table (catered)
Main course: Chulant (catered)
Potato kugel (catered)
Carrot muffins (homemade)
salt and pepper noodle kugal (homemade)
Cold cuts platters (homemade- buying from grocery store) with shnitzel (catered)
Dessert: Peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter crumble, peanut butter sauce (homemade)

Seudah Shelishis:

Buffet: rolls, leftover gafilta fish, tuna salad (catered) cakes and cookies (homemade) cut up fruit (brought from the grocery store).

Alright ladies, lay it all on me! What am I forgetting???

I would love to buy some chips and nosh to put out for shabbos party and noshing in the afternoon, or make shabbos party peckalach for the kids.

heidi

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:14 am
What are you forgetting?
That it's corona.
Shame on you

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:35 am
Awww, heidi!

The event is happening all outdoors, in a tent. I have a station with masks and hand sanitizer to set up at the door of my house (for when people come in to wash, use the bathroom), and at the entrance to the tent.

The neighbors who are putting up my guests have pretty much all gotten covid already. The ones who didn't are lending basements with separate entrances, so they wont be in contact with the guests. Guests who are high risk (older, medical conditions) are not coming.

At this point, everyone is able to decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to tolerate.

I don't feel ashamed, but I do feel a little deflated. I guess I should have specified a no-judgement zone!

We're going to do our best to be careful while still celebrating this beautiful milestone.

abound

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:40 am
Sounds amazing! The chosson and Kallah are lucky to have you!
if its outdoors check the weather to see if you need tent heaters.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:49 am
You are doing all this for a kallah that is not even your daughter?! Wow! Kol hakovod to you!

Are you having heaters in the tent? Its been getting very cold here at night lately.

Centerpieces? Large candles look great for Friday night and flowers from trader Joe's are great prices

Make sure you have a LOT of heavy duty garbage bags.

Prepare some candles in your home/tent for lighting. Some people prefer to light in the place they are eating if they won't be home for a minimum amount of time after lighting.

Zeleze

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:51 am
Can I come along too ? This sounds to be a full course meal with alll the toppings

sub

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:52 am
Wow. This is going to be beautiful. Can I come? I was tested am negative.
Perhaps some reading material for kids?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:54 am
Beautiful! Do you have heaters? It’s going to be very cold.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:04 am
Sounds great. Maybe add a free magazine to the guest bags so guests have something to eat. What are you doing with tablecloths, paper goods, cutlery. Etc

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:07 am
Sounds so amazing! Really impressive and leibedik!
Much continued hatzlocha!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:25 am
Mazal tov!

Buy more garbage bags and toilet paper than you need, and make sure to have containers and cut foil for storing the inevitable leftovers.

mommy9

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:29 am
Plan for havdalah. You should have a lot of basamim to pass around so it doesn't take too long for everyone to smell it. Maybe more than one candle also.
Also bechers for people who want to make their own kiddush.
Challah covers for everyone to cover rolls. You could get napkins that say לכבוד שבת קודש.

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:17 am
This is so helpful, guys! Thank you!

We've already rented heaters. Forgot to mention it.

I am going to be borrowing centerpieces (vases, and I'm hoping lantern holders) from a Gamach.

Flowers will be inexpensive but massive bunches babysbreath that I'm going to pick up from Shoprite on Thursday. I'm in love with babysbreath!

Garbage bags, extra foil, pans, containers, toilet paper, tissues I didn't think of, thank you!

Candle lighting station in the tent is a great idea, thanks.

Any menu critique?

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:19 am
mommy9 wrote:
Plan for havdalah. You should have a lot of basamim to pass around so it doesn't take too long for everyone to smell it. Maybe more than one candle also.
Also bechers for people who want to make their own kiddush.
Challah covers for everyone to cover rolls. You could get napkins that say לכבוד שבת קודש.

Totally didn't think about havdalah, or benchers.

Can I print out benchers? I don't have many. Or maybe someone knows of a place to borrow them in Lakewood?

I will prep basamim. Great idea. Thanks!!

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:19 am
Now that I'm thinking about it, I also don't have many hand towels for after people wash. And the ones I have are super ratty, shredded looking. I think this is something I'm going to need to buy.

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:21 am
sub wrote:
Wow. This is going to be beautiful. Can I come? I was tested am negative.
Perhaps some reading material for kids?

We have tons of books and toys, but I really want to keep everyone out of my house. I am considering setting up one corner of the tent with a couch, carpet, little book shelf with some toys.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:22 am
DVOM wrote:
Now that I'm thinking about it, I also don't have many hand towels for after people wash. And the ones I have are super ratty, shredded looking. I think this is something I'm going to need to buy.

But paper . Something like this, especially bc of covid, ppl might not want to share towels

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kl.....aw.ds

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:25 am
DVOM wrote:
Totally didn't think about havdalah, or benchers.

Can I print out benchers? I don't have many. Or maybe someone knows of a place to borrow them in Lakewood?

I will prep basamim. Great idea. Thanks!!

I don't know in Lakewood if there a bencher gmach. But we have one in Elizabeth.

And for besamim

Get cloves or even popuri from a dollar store and those little organza bags with Jordan almonds at wedding also at dollar tree

https://www.dollartree.com/bab.....75579

Edit. You can also get Avery labels and print out "shabbat Sheva brachot of couple name. Date" and tie in lake and give as souvenirs.

Second edit: you can print benching. But careful bc shameous. Might be better to just borrow.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:28 am
If you need help getting anything. Please let me know. I work in a grocery and might be able to help.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:31 am
For Seudah Shelishis... Also put leftover egg salad and kuggles... Ppl like options

Are you doing alcohol? Totally okay not to. But if you need I can suggest a few bottles that aren't too expensive
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics