Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hosting Shabbos Sheva Brachos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:32 am
I'm with everyone else
Sounds amazing!
Lucky guests!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:10 am
Go DVOM! That sounds seriously amazing! What a wonderful way to celebrate during covid - you have it all done pat down to the last detail.

womanwithaplan

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:13 am
What a beautifully planned event!! Im sure your guests will have a wonderful time Very Happy

Just remember to check if anyone has a peanut allergy, being that you're serving a peanut based dessert.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:16 am
This sounds nicer then many weddings!

I don't think you need that many kugels imo.

For towels, at the beginning of covid before lockfown when we were still having guests we bought lots of tiny face towels and put them in a basket next to washing sink, also in guest bathroom. Make sure to include a laundry basket for used towels. Easier and cheaper probably to buy disposables since you will need at least 70 with that many guests. You can get really nice thick white ones. Do not share towels. Also put hand sanitiser on all the tables.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:19 am
singleagain wrote:
For Seudah Shelishis... Also put leftover egg salad and kuggles... Ppl like options

Are you doing alcohol? Totally okay not to. But if you need I can suggest a few bottles that aren't too expensive

Only put out the egg salad if it wasn’t in contact with the liver! Otherwise it’s fleishig and guests won’t be able to have pizza coffee or whatever after shabbos

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:22 am
sounds gorgeous!

For towels, if you can't find individual real ones, kleenex makes boxes of disposable hand towels that are nicer than plain paper towels and come in a box. I always have a couple of these boxes for when I have guests so we don't share the same hand towels.

Just a thought: Will u have time to make fresh roasted veggies on Friday? I think I saw that on your menu, but isn't that a lot of work cutting it up for 30+ people? Unless you have some frozen veggies? It gets so hectic the day of the event, so just wondered if u wanted to re-think if I understood that correctly.

It all sounds so beautiful! Enjoy! Mazal tov! May you always be blessed to make simchas in your life!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:37 am
The menu looks great! Considering that the clocks are now changed so Shabbos ends really early, I don't think you need to worry about nosh for the afternoon. Lunch will probably take a while, so you won't even have that much time between cleaning up and setting up for Shalosh Seudos.

grateful2bmom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:48 am
This sounds amazing!! Get disposable guest towels for hand washing (available on Amazon) and put a garbage near the sink.
Set up a small candle lighting station for people who prefer to light where they are eating.
Shabbos party idea is nice but it’s a short Shabbos afternoon so not necessary.
A small area in a corner somewhere with a few toys/books are nice for kids to hang out during the meals.
Your menu sounds delicious!!! Only thing I might add is a lettuce salad to shaloshudes and can serve leftover fruit.

Will waiters set tables, sweep up afterwards? If not, maybe getting someone to help you with that.

And drinks- water, soda, etc.

Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:50 am
Sounds lovely. Could you do a hand washing station outside so you don't have all those people in your house?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:52 am
heidi wrote:
What are you forgetting?
That it's corona.
Shame on you

And so?

kollel wife

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:16 am
Sounds beautiful. You sounds very creative and talented.

One small point. Hearing about bentching licht in the succah is making me nervous - try to see if the waiters that are cleaning up, can put out any candles that might be still lit.

keym

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:16 am
There's a gemach in Lakewood, but I don't have info that you can borrow big buckets of Lego and Clicks for simchos to have in the corner for kids to play so they don't keep going in and out of the house getting toys.

Coat rack

Simcha Challos- not necessary but definitely enhances the simcha

Zemiros booklets, not just bentching you might be able to find a gemach. Look in the directory

Arrange in advance to borrow neighbors garbage cans. You don't want to leave piled bags around the dumpster

Buy way extra serving platters and cutlery. Plus extra large bowls, plates. You end up going through a lot

Kiddush cups, wine or grape juice for the actual Sheva brachos.

Don't go overboard on shalosh seudos. The day is so short that people likely won't want to eat tons.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:02 am
It sounds beautiful!

I wonder if any of your guests have dietary issues and might appreciate a low-fat, easy to digest side dish like plain white rice? We have some IBS issues in our family and I try to make sure that there's always plain white rice and a platter of cut up cucumbers, mini peppers, and baby carrots so people with tummy issues have non-kugel options. The veggies are nice for dieters too. Just a thought, which may not apply to your guests!

cbsp

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:16 am
(I started this 2 hours ago and just realized it never posted so it could be others already addressed these points)

Mazal tov!

It sounds absolutely lovely!

Some things that may or may not be applicable:

Enough drinks of various variety (not only sugar soda with caffeine or only diet soda). Also extra plain cups (not necessarily matching the theme). And hot cups.

Enough fridge /freezer /oven space. We've found loading up 5 day coolers with ice very helpful to have on hand in case of power outages...

You mentioned a large urn. Make sure it won't blow whatever outlet it's on, especially if you have other extra appliances plugged in (like crock pots, warmers, hot plates)

Extra challah rolls - I was once at a Shabbos event and they miscalculated somehow... The extra challah rolls came very much in handy

Run through the expectations ahead of time with the wait staff. If they're expected to plate fish or salad etc make sure they know when it needs to be out

Same with clean up between courses

Serving utensils /trays /stations? to help with a seamless flow

Since this is the first Shabbos after we change the clock the day is short. I've seen that people will bentch after the first course and take a short break (maybe even for mincha), then wash again and resume with the rest of the seudah. This way there's no official shalish seudos but they've gotten in 3 meals without feeling overly rushed.

Who's in charge of speakers? Who's emceeing the event?

Don't forget to bentch! (that was forgotten at one of mine. People started leaving and I'm like ummm, nice party, but wasn't there supposed to be like, you know, sheva brachos??? Can't Believe It Smile )

Do a test run the night before with the lights and pretend you're a guest. Follow the walking path, keep in mind where you'll direct people who need a restroom, etc. Make sure if anything is on a timer is set properly.

B'hatzlacha!

Last edited by cbsp on Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Proudly Right

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:09 pm
DVOM wrote:
This is so helpful, guys! Thank you!

We've already rented heaters. Forgot to mention it.

I am going to be borrowing centerpieces (vases, and I'm hoping lantern holders) from a Gamach.

Flowers will be inexpensive but massive bunches babysbreath that I'm going to pick up from Shoprite on Thursday. I'm in love with babysbreath!

Garbage bags, extra foil, pans, containers, toilet paper, tissues I didn't think of, thank you!

Candle lighting station in the tent is a great idea, thanks.

Any menu critique?

I gotta say DVOM. Kudos to you for putting together what sounds like will be a beautiful event.

I'm just thinking, I don't know in which circles you run, but the men where I come from would never pass on eating fish Shabbos day meal. I suggest you make little fish crackers on a tray for them to eat after kiddush.

I use:
Mary gone crackers (delicious whole grain crackers with a great crunch to it)
Any dressing I.e. dill dip, pesto, mayo etc.
slice of cucumber
small piece of lox
small dollop of avocado

It's delicious and very simple to prepare, not enough filling so the guests don't have room for the rest of the food and the most cost effective solution to preparing fish.

naomi1

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:34 pm
It really sounds so beautiful! You have put so much thought into every detail, wow!!!
One thing that I don’t think anyone mentioned was place cards for each person.
Mazel Tov, enjoy 😊

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:09 pm
Sounds beautiful. Good for you for going out of your way to try to accommodate corona precautions. So many people are making huge indoor crowded simchos, and it really bothers me.
If you’re looking for a career change, party planning sounds like just the right thing!

sub

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:28 pm
http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....az-ej
Printable benthchers

And here is a list I didn’t get a chance to check
http://resources.havurah.org/2.....h-my/

crust

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:39 pm
Will you post pics afterwards so we can see?
Sounds so exciting!

Fave

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:40 pm
Everything sounds amazing!

One comment - I love string/Xmas lights and decorating the tent with the lights is a wonderful idea.

I just don’t care for the look of decorating a tree with lights. That’s just too Xmasy looking in my opinion.

Obviously this is a personal preference.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics