Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Avoiding Non-Kosher Animal Toys etc.
Previous  1  2

de_goldy

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 7:16 am
Rivki - you can take it and give it tot he royal children's hospital with your kids. That way they learn bikkur cholim/tzeddakah as well as no non-kosher animals.

chabadnick

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 9:10 am
its really weird when people hear this concept,,,but I do it and I want to give over to you how it affected my son. I have a 3 year old and in my home we only had kosher animals. He went to a friend and found there snakes, lions and other plastic trief animals. My son became so much more wild and destructive as he began to act out these animals. I kept him home for a while and saw him try hard to come out of this. he returned to being the Tati at my daughters tea party

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 11:13 am
Quote:
he returned to being the Tati at my daughters tea party

That is adorable, and just goes to show!!!!!!

dina

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 7:56 pm
So would you let your kids go over to a friends house who isn't makpid on having toys, books, etc. with only kosher animals? If you wouldn't then what would you say to the parents if they invite your child over?

lucy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:36 pm
Rivky wrote:

Could one buy clothing with butterflys? Is that included as a non-kosher animal?

I personally feel that any insect would fall into the category of non kosher animals. We learn in Torah that the insects are one of the lower forms of tumah! So just because it's small (and really pretty) I should just let it slide but a cute furry bunny is not okak? Nope!

BlumaG

Post Sat, Jan 29 2005, 10:05 pm
I don't know ppl look at butterflies as deco like a flower kind of, I use butterflies but I don't think I would put my daughter in a outfit with a BIG bitterfly. we try to b as careful as possible.
I've got a few things I have exchanged or I put patches or puff paints over something. I don't buy stuff with non-kosher animals but relatives give me hand me downs.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Jun 25 2005, 11:38 pm
What other options are there to do with non-kosher animal gifts?

Last edited by Crayon210 on Sun, May 04 2008, 12:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ima-to-angels

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 7:41 am
1.Donate them to a non-jewish charity shop
2.Donate them to a hospital
3.Donate them to a cause collecting for disaster victims
4.Donate them to non-jewish neighbors

In short - tsdakah....

If you are trying to avoid hurting peoples feelings then keep them aside for a while until the child would have "grown out of them" and then donate. At least then if whoever gave you the stuff asks about it, you can say its in the cupboard and you are not lying.

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:58 pm
hmm interesting that this one came back. I wanted to get my cousin a baby gift and asked her if she doesn't mind non kosher animals. and she said she never thought of it before. She went to her husband her looked it up in various seferim and came to this conclusion. it is okay to have animals on clothing, books, diapers, pictures, mobiles, etc. but not allowed to bring a child to a zoo to see these animals it is bad for the neshama. as long as the picture doesn't look like the real thing it is okay.

Aish

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 6:26 pm
dina wrote:
So would you let your kids go over to a friends house who isn't makpid on having toys, books, etc. with only kosher animals? If you wouldn't then what would you say to the parents if they invite your child over?

if there are not kosher influences in someone else home, and that could mean any number of things, then of course you don't send them to their house. invite them over to your home or in as much of a diplomatic way as you can, explain to them what your standards are. we have had this experience a number of times. I usually find on the whole that the non frum people are more respectful of your standards than frum people who don't keep your standards.

Aish

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 6:31 pm
freilich wrote:
Quote:
avoiding non-kosher animal items

What about tots underwear and diapers??

when my first was a baby and we got her pampers by the case they had a nice big pig on some of them. first I started to color them in and that was a pain in the neck b/c these diapers were hard to color on. then I said forget it. I put clothing on her so she never actually saw it and besides, shes pooping on the pig! Very Happy
so there you go!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 6:45 pm
sarahd wrote:
I find this interesting. I have never understood why it was okay to name my child after a non-kosher animal (I.e. Dov, Arye, Zev) but not allow him to look at a picture of one.

I think these names are taken from the brochos of the shevatim I.e. Yehuda is a Gur Aryeh... Binyamin is a Z'ev. These names as they exist in the spiritual realms would be different than the Gashmius'dik animal.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 4:55 am
You sure about that?

I wonder then why we don't use the name Chamor ("Yissochor chamor gorem...") and we do use the name Dov, which doesn't appear in Birchos Yaakov or anywhere else in Tanach in a positive connection, AFAIK.

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 7:31 pm
yeah, and what about "Nachash" and "Shefifon" (yehi Dan nachash ...) Twisted Evil

Aish

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 7:46 pm
[
Quote:
quote="sarahd"]You sure about that?

AFAIK.
[/quote]
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????????

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 8:01 pm
as far as I know Wink

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 5:39 pm
what about Chulda the Prophetess - why did her parents name her "weasel"?

baby's mom

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 5:44 pm
Motek wrote:
what about Chulda the Prophetess - why did her parents name her "weasel"?

or Devora, a bee?

cr2005

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 12:42 pm
My 15 month old daughter gets all excited when she sees dogs, it totally changes her mood. Its the craziest thing. I mean were we live every house has a dog, so thats probably why.
Whenever she reads books the animals in the books totally amuse her.
Its not something that im going to take away from her either, I don't think it bad at all, there gods creation too. I mean I don't try to go out of my way and emphasize the non kosher animals but if she picks up on it, I don't think its the end of the world
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics